A Smaller Wing - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 12:44 PM

Post imported post

I am 53 son, bought my first motorbike magazine at 12 -still have it- was stripping and rebuilding m/bike engines by 13 had a BSA gold star - could only ride it in the back garden though- by 14, knew what was going on in the world of motorcycling lllooonng before I left high school, anyhow before Axeman axes me elsewhere, point I was trying to make is that bigger is not always better, depends on the application + the advances made in metalurgy and electronics; Latest VW Golf GTi is 1400cc 167bhp & 177lbtft trq!

Kenny
"Life is for Living"
2000 1500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 12:48 PM

Post imported post

PS, forgot to mention I just bought an 1800 by the way.... lest you think I am biased

Kenny
"Life is for Living"
2000 1500
post #13 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 01:15 PM
Goldwing Addict :-)

Model: GL1500SE, GL1200A
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Jluvs2dive Send a message via MSN to Jluvs2dive Send a message via Yahoo to Jluvs2dive
Post imported post

Kenny wrote:
Quote:
.........point I was trying to make is that bigger is not always better, depends on the application + the advances made in metalurgy and electronics;........
Lol, my sense of humor must have gotten lost in my words Kenny. I'm only joking with you. Have you ever watched the TV program called Home Improvement? If not, it's a comedy about a guy that has a TV show about doing home repairs and upgrades. His mantra is always "more power" & bigger is better. (insert sound of men grunting). I think a second line of Wings that were smaller might do well.

Wexman, sorry about taking this off topic. I'll put my self in time out now.

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bought with just under 9000 miles on 08/19/2008

also
84 Aspy
84 Interstate
past
86 GL1200 Aspy
84 Standard
87 Interstate
80 Yam Midnight Special 1100
79 Suz SP400 Enduro
72 Honda SL350
81 Honda XR500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 01:29 PM

Post imported post

Me I am pretty sure there is a market for bikes like the Silverwing, which was originally planned as a ladies bike......my son in law started on one and loved it, so did I actually that 500 had some real zip to it even at 100,000+ kms on it With todays technology a much improved smaller wing could be done quite well, something to consider with rising fuel costs......but me I am also with the Home Improvemnt line of thinking, its a redneck guy thing

One must wonder tho, would the market for a smaller version of todays Wing be enough to pay for all the R&D, and would the price of the end product be reasonable enough for the buyers wanting a smaller luxury bike? I did take my old1980 CB750C and make a full dresser out of it, but unfortunately it did not have the suspension and smoothness needed for long rides, at least not for my ole bones

I suspect the concept has probably been considered by Honda but market research proved that the idea would not be profitable enough........just my thoughts tho.....

Rejuvenated 1984 Interstate
Newly Acquired sad looking 1984 Aspencade
1983 Honda CM250C
post #15 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 03:19 PM

Post imported post

No problem John I know you were just pulling my leg,, haven't seen that TV programme over here though, I'll let you know what I think of my 18 when it get's here. Talk to you soon.

Kenny
"Life is for Living"
2000 1500
post #16 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 01:18 AM
Still a winger at heart.

Model: Sure wish I could ride...
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to UbarW
Post imported post

Kenny wrote:
Quote:
No problem John I know you were just pulling my leg,, haven't seen that TV programme over here though, I'll let you know what I think of my 18 when it get's here. Talk to you soon.
The guy that did the show got his start doing standup comedy. At one gig, he did this thing about rebuilding the recliner in the living room with a chevy small block v8. Worked great till Granny got launched out the front window...

Oh, and to keep it on topic, what do you think about a small wing?

Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders-Id: 79170

Panel 16W - Line 33

post #17 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 10:11 AM

Model: GLA
Post imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Quote:
[align=left]

Except in wives, that is!!!!!!

[/align]
I better not touch that!
post #18 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 11:27 AM

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800
Post imported post

Let's look at this semi-logically. There are multiple versions of most every model Honda makes i.e. CBR 600, 1000; Shadow 650, 750 1100 etc. With the high cost of gas there has to be a market of new riders that would love a touring bike but are terrified of starting on a 1800cc bike. IMHO, money for development is not a problem with Honda (I'd love to have just the interest in what make in a day). The solution is to get their marketing folks to look at current market to see what's there. Sure seems to me that there is a glaring gap in the not-so-long -distance touring market. A 800 to 1200 touring bike would allowthe new rider a bit more affordablebike that would also be great for commuting & daytrips.

Andy
2002 GL1800

"Always have a smile on your face, makes everyone else think you're getting away with something"

If you woke up this morning, don't complain - You woke up!

"It's amazing how much good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit."
post #19 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 01:25 PM
Still a winger at heart.

Model: Sure wish I could ride...
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to UbarW
Post imported post

Not to mention the fact that if its is a good experience, they are likely to upgrade to the Papa Wing...

Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders-Id: 79170

Panel 16W - Line 33

post #20 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 03:13 PM

Post imported post

Well that's it settled so, the new Smaller Wing is called a Pan European st 1300 all we need nowis sombody to start making shiney bits for it and change the name to Junior Wing

Kenny
"Life is for Living"
2000 1500
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page