If Honda Does Make a Trike, Do it Right! - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Listen Honda, if you are thinking about making a trike then do it right. Put the two wheels up front where they should be. With two front wheels stability is improved where it needs to be, i.e. cornering while braking. This is an area where current trikes have a potential problem. Your engineers know what I'm saying here. Modifying the front means no changes need to made to the drive train. It would be lighter than current trike kits, more stable, stop better and leave more of the original machine , uh , original. I'd buy one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 09:00 AM

Post imported post

i personally would not ride a trike with two wheels up front. How many trikes have you ridden. i have a csc trike i go out on lots of rides and i manage to keep up with the bikes OK. you will see in my avatar that a lot of it the original machine.

\'08 GL1800 CSC Cobra Trike (In the fastest colour)
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 04:45 PM

Send a message via MSN to quakeholio
Post imported post

I think if you pull of the front end of a motorcycle and put on a two wheeled front end you will find that it will look like it has no motorcycle charactaristics. Looks a bit like someone forgot to put the rear end of a car on.

One of the defining things about the goldwing and many other motorcycles is the front end. If it was not then all bikes (including choppers) would use teloscopic forks, and the issue of long forks tubes would never occur.

The weight might have an issue, but the Wing is hardly a bike that cares about pounds. If it did they would not be 1/2 ton machines, but instead pushing over the 1/4 ton mark. The engine of any wing is more then up to the task of handling the extra weight as well. The 1000 and the 1100 probably do work a bit harder, but I'm willing to bet that the 1800's don't notice much difference.

I'm not saying that there is not a market for such a machine, but a trike is a particular vehicle, just the same as a motorcycle is from a bicycle.

Mind you, I know everything about nothing and nothing about everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 08:28 AM

Post imported post

I haven't heard of ANY problems with the trikes like they are as far as one front wheel goes. So I don't know where Mad Meteor is coming from with his statement. Trikes are pretty stable according to those who have them.

Bob
\'99 GL1500 SE w/CSC Trike
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 08:38 AM

Send a message via MSN to quakeholio
Post imported post

I think the only time I've really heard of a trike being a wild on was when someone built one with the rear end from a three or four wheeler. I think that machine didn't have the width in the rear end that most trikes have.

Now that I'm thinking about it that might make an interesting machine, take the rear end off a three/four wheeler and put it on the back of a dirt bike. Oppse, wrong form for that idea.

Mind you, I know everything about nothing and nothing about everything.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

For those that care...My wife has a 2002 GL1800 with Champion conversion and we have been from Texas to the Arctic Circle and from Illinois to Calilfornia. Don't get all sensitive and defensive. Current trikes are very stable and the 1800 has enough power to make trikes good performers. From strictly an engineering point of view, a three wheel vehicle with the two wheels up front could be more stable, lighter (even better performance than current machines) less expensive and the only thing removed from the original machine would be the front forks. The original fairing with headlights and turn signals could be left in place. Thats all I'm saying. I'm not bashing current trikes. I'm just thinking out loud.

Now, what say you?

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 10:33 AM

Post imported post

i think that a trike with two wheels at the front would look odd, i would not ride one i love the trike i have got. if the choice was a trike with two wheels up front or no trike at all i would choose no trike at all.JMHO .

\'08 GL1800 CSC Cobra Trike (In the fastest colour)
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 11:32 AM

Model: GL1800 '06 GL1200 SEi '86
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Silverfox
Post imported post

We have at least one member with a two wheels up front trike,which he built himself and very good it looks too. But it is definately a different animal from the conventional trike.

I have seen a few bikes with front end conversion and personally I think they all look revolting. The ones that are car shaped are fine, in their own right, but the bike like ones turn me right off. That is not to say that they wouldn't perform better, I am sure they might, but they just look wrong.

I would not be in the market for one myself,where I might buy a trike like Christines.

I am not being defensive, just reflecting my "Aesthetic thoughts". If others wanted one, then that is fine by me.

Pete

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'06 GL1800
'86 GL1200SEi
'98 ST1100 Pan European, formerly owned by the Late Motorcycle Pete, Member and good friend of many on this site. Available for use by visitors from the USA and Canada.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 03:39 PM

Post imported post

I say 'from an engineering standpoint' companies that make the conversion kits have surely looked at 2 in front and probably decided :

1. it would be too ugly
2. no real advantages are there or possibly there are disadvantages
3. it would be too ugly
4. it wouldn't sell because it would be too ugly

Bob
\'99 GL1500 SE w/CSC Trike
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 03:43 PM
GERIATRIC MEMBER

Model: Neighbours 1800
Post imported post

Silverfox wrote:
Quote:
I would not be in the market for one myself,where I might buy a trike like Christines.

I am not being defensive, just reflecting my "Aesthetic thoughts". If others wanted one, then that is fine by me.
Before you get a trike like Christines you gotta get yourself an first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Redwing"

"The Rider Of The Fastest Colour"
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page