Parts Not Fitting Properly - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Model: 2012 GL1800 Nav/XM
Post imported post

I've notice something that for the life of me I can't figure out. Basically, the subject of thispost is reallya recommendation also. Especially if Honda reads these threads.

I saw it when Iworkedin the automobile industry whileliving in Detroit. I bought a new 2004 Ford F150 that still has the problem.

That problem is FITMENT. That's a buzz word I picked up in the US car manufacturing business.

This is one of the reasons why foreign manufacturers build a nicer automobile than the Americans. THEY GET IT RIGHT!

Back to the subject of Goldwings. Honda seems to have the same type of problem with mating parts fitting together properlyon the Goldwings.

The parts I'm talking about are not adjustable.

There are certain allowances made when working with polymer while in themolding processto make sure the partsfit like they should. Since the biggest part of the Goldwing that's visible, plastic fitting correctly should be on the top burner.

With the technology that Honda has with CAD and CAD-CAM there really should be any reason for any parts not to fit correctly.

These people spend several years developing new models.

The value of our lives comes not in what we do or whom we know, but by who we are.

Goldwings I've had the privilege of owning

1977 GL1000
1982 GL1100 Aspencade
1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1987 GL1200 Aspencade
1988 GL1500
1994 GL1500-SE
2006 GL1800
2012 GL1800

Vietnam Combat Veteran 11B40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 08:10 PM
Monkey with a Football

Model: Linux, Firewalls & VPNs
Garage
Post imported post

As long as they don't fly off when I'm riding, rattle, leak or cut me on an edge or something, I couldn't give a poop about it. Frankly.

Rudy

“...and the rabid dog they gave me
wasn't too much fun”
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 10:22 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

Kikker,

I agree with you. On my 1500, the right side cover that fits over the spark plugs is molded too short. The tab lacks about 1/*8th inch even making it to the slot on the fairing for the side cover tab to mate with it.

That is unforgivable.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

It sounds like something is bent or otherwise awry with your 1500. The covers fit closely and well on my 1500. The tabs on the covers fit the slots full depth. the pins on the side covers hit the grommets just about perfectly centered on all six pins, and they'be been doing that for fourteen years and 100,000+ miles. I really can't fault the quality and fit. I can't say anything about the 1800, haven't been around one much.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 04:20 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

I'm probably just lucky

If other parts of this thing are any indication, I may have a bike that is built from 3 others. When I got it, the carbs were missing pieces internally. The cam cover plate bolts were twisted off. A lot of the kind of stuff that you can't see when you are test riding one.

I rue the day that I just took it out for a fast test drive and back. It runs great until it comes up to full temperature and then the 160* solenoid opens and it runs like sh*t.

Next bike I get will be test driven like it was on a Grande Prix race and the temps up against the peg. I've had my fill of somebody else's troubles.

Its' not too far now from being fixed, but I really suspect that I am going to have to replace the vacuum solenoids and all of the rubber vacuum hoses.

I finally got a day free this morning and got my ole reliable '72 Chevy Impala back on the road. I was changing out the radiator, water pump and belts a couple months ago and didn't finish up the job. Well, it is done now.

That gives me a go to work vehicle and now I can pull the bike down and see what is wrong with it.
I just wish that I had a bike lift so I could get it up above my knees. My left knee is threatening to fall apart, then tendons snap every time I take a step. Almost fell down the stairs this morning when it started to go out on me.....

Enough... back to better things.

~ John

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page