LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 07:58 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

I agree with the vision bit. On my 1200, the plex was as you describe yours to be.

When it rained, I had the option to look above the rain spattered glass (plex) or just above it and the rain drops mostly missed my helmet visor anyway.

This thing I have is tall... I'm going to measure it right now...............

it measures 29 inches from the trim to the top in the center. That is with it at the lowest setting possible.

The fact that it is so tall, makes me wonder how much top end I am losing? About 90 mph is all mine wants to comfortably push. It will do 100 if I wait long enough, but I have to downshift to 4th to get it up there if I need to do it quickly.

Today, I was two up with a buddy who weighs about 180. I am 260 (75 over the scales says the doc), and we had a side breeze of about 15-20 and gusty. Passing large SUVs or semi's would cause the bike to want to move over about 4 or 5 feet. I didn't have any trouble making it stay where it should be, but we definitely healed over at a much steeper bank to stay put.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 08:41 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

That's quite a difference, set all the way down my windshield is 20" from the top of the trim bezel. With a 29" height I couldn't see over it and wouldn't like that in the rain or when you get some crud thrown on it from a semi. I really can't see any reason for the super tall windshields, the woman who hangs around here says she doesn't get any particular buffeting with the bike set up the way it is.

My bike will top 100 pretty quickly without any need to downshift. I don't know if yours is out of tune or if that much larger screen makes that much difference. I have a high mileage bike, 108,000 miles, so the old girl isn't a spring chicken either.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 05:46 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

My bike has a vacuum leak problem right now and I can feel engine roughness. Will have to correct that before she is in perfect tune.
Tnx for the height info.

~ John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 03:36 PM

Model: GL1800
Send a message via Skype™ to wingnut
Post imported post

Good points. I always thought that the Goldwings windshield never got the same amount of development & testing time that was devoted to (for instance) the saddle. The windshield could easily be made to provide hand protection and also be adjustable over more than the few inches it currently does. That way it would be suitable for riders over a greater height range.
I also think the fairing lowers could be made to provide better foot protection from the rain. After almost 27 years since the faired Wings appearance, I would have expected that Honda would have got this right.
Maybe I'm just too impatient...

Steve Saunders,
Founder Member & Admin.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 03:35 AM

Post imported post

You are probbaly right Steve. The screen is an afterthought really. It's one of those things that the designers should consider more. All that crap about wind tunnel testing doesn't hide the factt hat the screen is a weak link and needs attention.

GL1800 SatNav, red 2006
GL1500 Aspencade, blue 1999
GL1200 Aspencade, blue 1986
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 04:29 PM

Year: 2001
Make: honda
Model: gl 1800, red of course
Send a message via AIM to m2102
Post imported post

on another site,i belive it was northamerican goldwing, they brought this up and some of the ideas for rain and buffeting were simple suggestions. one was a car door weather seal fitted on the windshield and the other was a piece of vinyl tubing split and pressed over the edge of the windshield.their was also a link for a glow in the dark kind. i'll have to try and find it again and post it here to look at. mite try it next season or maybe this season if time allows

2001 GL1800
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 04:57 PM

Post imported post

The buffeting problem requires a multi-faceted attack.
Windwings and Handwings are excellent but you should have windshield vent and not use tunnel fillers to avoid the vacuum created behind the screen.
Don't underestimate the value of a windshield spoiler.
It is amazing what some of these small things can do.

Here's what I was looking for. It shows it in this attached picture. i belive it was rudy that posted this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg windshield.jpg (118.0 KB, 171 views)

2001 GL1800
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 05:11 AM
Senior Guru

Model: GL1800, GL1500, GL1200
Post imported post

We've seen those kind of suggestions here before m2102, but not many of us want a hunk of rubber or automotive edge trim in our line of vision.
Honda claim to have wind tested the gl1500 and gl1800, but they still haven't attended to the problem of buffeting. A vent does help, but doesn't eliminate the problem entirely.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 05:30 AM

Post imported post

Those BMW type shields are the only real way to cure buffeting. The best we can do with our Goldwings is to add air wings to the fairing and a vent to the shield, and use them to direct air into the riders area.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 06:38 AM

Post imported post

yes it would be a bit of an eye sore. another suggestion they offered,i couldn't find the post,was to use a piece of clear tubing split down the middle,1/4" or 3/8"depending on thickness of windshield. the tubing is not as much of an eyesore and can be removed when not needed.the other was "glued" on. they were saying that it was enough to tame buffeting and worked well in rain as well.

2001 GL1800
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page