Mounting trunk racks on Gold Wings - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 07:51 AM

Model: GL1500SE
Post imported post

There were some good suggestions about using rubber washers as they avoid pressure points. Also keep in mind that the thermal coefficient of expansion is much higher for plastic than metal so I would drill the holes a little oversized to allow for the movement.

Len
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 02:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to Matt G Send a message via Yahoo to Matt G
Post imported post

easy fix or for prevention,
remove the lid and then remove the inner liners, scuff up the inside of the lid, and line inside of the lid with fiberglass cloth using ABS pipe cement for the resin, a couple layers of glass and you will never crack that lid.

Current Goldwing:
1988 GL1500 Wings of Freedom
We tried voting with the Ballot box, When do we start voting from the Ammo box, and am I allowed only one vote ?
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 08:01 AM
Just another ORF!

Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

dqsdad2001 wrote:
Quote:
I have installed a trunk rack on mine and used these washers with the Rack risers. They risers give you a larger footprint to spread out the weight better.

http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/st...p;ID=457800110

http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/st...p;ID=457800110

They work great no cracks here but I almost screwed up when installing the rack with the risers. I made all the marks for the holes with out the risers on. When when the risers are in place the mounting holes are different. Just be careful measure over and over and if you don't feel comfortable doing it then take to the dealer. If they screw it up they will have to buy you a new lid...lol
That's what I did with mine, except I also added a rubber tapwasher inside the 'risers', for the rack to rest on as well. I also added oversize rubber washers on the underside of the lid and then a fender washer over that, for the head of the bolt to snug up on.

I had to ream out the risers, which are made for the 1800,in order for the 6mm trunk rack bolt to fit through. So far, no cracks after 20,00kms.

Larger shot: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3282/...dd685d1b_o.jpg

Dusty

1992 1500 Aspencade - 213,178 showing on the clock

- just another Rider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 03:54 PM

Post imported post

So reading all this it is pretty evident that one must not use the rack to close the lid, dont' let it drop, and perhaps don't use a rack. However, most of us have one and probably will not give it up. So again, after all the posts, it seems to be the best to use the 3mm alloy plate (I assume aluminum or stainless) and mend it to the lid structure. I have the round rack and I have cracks, I have a new lid ordered and am waiting for it. I did have full length plates on the underside but still it cracked. But I did not mend it to the underside. Perhaps a really good glue or even the ABS patch kit using additional ABS material would work good?? what do ya think? Also, what about the flat racks as opposed to the round racks, any difference? Beside price.

Hope my spelling is not to far off, could not find a spell checker.

I like this idea the best - I'll try it.

"easy fix or for prevention,
remove the lid and then remove the inner liners, scuff up the inside of the lid, and line inside of the lid with fiberglass cloth using ABS pipe cement for the resin, a couple layers of glass and you will never crack that lid."

Spider Bob

GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY, GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps, it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

Patriot Guard Rider
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page