Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/9-feedback-hondas-goldwing-team/)
-   -   Mounting trunk racks on Gold Wings (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/9-feedback-hondas-goldwing-team/282269-mounting-trunk-racks-gold-wings.html)

Kikker 03-20-2007 09:10 AM

imported post

I realize that most of the problems that people have with cracked trunk lids with racks mounted is because of either over loading or incorrectly drilling and mounting of the rack.

It seems that Honda could help prevent this problem by beefing up the material in the lid without adding much weight to the bike.

Having been a former Harley Ultra Classic owner/rider and knowing several other Harley owners, I have never seen this problem with trunk lids cracking.

dennisthemenace 03-24-2007 07:15 AM

imported post

I agree with that Kikker. I recently fitted a set of Kuryakyn rack risers which, having a larger surface area than the standard fittings, does help to spread the load. However, whilst I had everything stripped down to fit the rack risers I also fabricated some small gauge plate to fit the underside of the trunk lid. I also bonded this plate and with the rack bolted right through trunk lid and plate, the trunk lid is much firmer.

Tattoo Taffy 03-24-2007 07:18 AM

imported post

i have put in 3mm alloy plate in readiness for the rack, and guess what......the lid opens and closes 100% better with it in place...........:goofygrin::goofygrin:

dennisthemenace 03-24-2007 07:47 AM

imported post

taffy australia wrote:
Quote:

i have put in 3mm alloy plate in readiness for the rack, and guess what......the lid opens and closes 100% better with it in place...........:goofygrin::goofygrin:
Yep, that's what I did, but I suffer from verbal diarrhoea:goofygrin::goofygrin:

erxkeel 04-04-2007 02:20 PM

imported post

bad visual.

Wing-Rider 06-10-2007 02:57 PM

imported post

taffy australia wrote:
Quote:

Do you have some pictures of this?

joelhar 07-09-2007 07:17 AM

imported post

Wing-Rider wrote:
Quote:

taffy australia wrote:
Quote:

Do you have some pictures of this?
I'd like to see that too.

I am all for any way to increase the carrying capacity of the Goldwing. The trunk and the saddlebags do not have the carrying capacity it looks like they have and Goldwings are designed for travelling long distance - I don't want to have to pull a trailer. By increasing the load capacity of the trunk lid, we could essentially double the carrying capacity of the Goldwing. By putting a 'rack' on to of the saddlebags as well, the carrying capacity could be increased by similar amounts each time.

v/r Joel

Kikker 07-09-2007 07:51 AM

imported post

I'm alsoabout halfway convinced that part of the problem that I haven't seen or heard anyone talk about is the use of a trunk rack for a handle for raising and lowering the trunk lid. That may explain the reason some people are experiencing cracks in the lidand some are not.

I've witnessed people that have a trunk rack on their Wings using the rack to force the trunk lid down when the truck may be a little over filled.

Also, allowing the lid to drop to latch it may cause the cracking over a period of time.

I don't have a rack on my '06 yet but I do catch myself dropping the lid and in some cases use the spoiler for a handle.

Trainertim77 09-16-2007 07:45 PM

imported post

I agree with Kikker, it is unfortunate that Honda does not look at the real uses the bike receives from its owners and beef that lid up. Mine has spider cracks coming out of each hole from the previous owner. I guess this winter it goes toa body shop to see what they can do to fix the cracks, beef it up, and repaint it as necessary. Kind of an unnecessary expense in my opinion because of poor engineering.

Trainertim77 09-16-2007 07:45 PM

imported post

I agree with Kikker, it is unfortunate that Honda does not look at the real uses the bike receives from its owners and beef that lid up. Mine has spider cracks coming out of each hole from the previous owner. I guess this winter it goes toa body shop to see what they can do to fix the cracks, beef it up, and repaint it as necessary. Kind of an unnecessary expense in my opinion because of poor engineering.