Better quality switches ... - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Model: GL1800 (2003)
Post imported post

I have just bought a used GL1800 (having had a couple of GL1200s for some years). I am disappointed at the quality and cheapness of the switches on the bike.

While deciding on which bike to buy, in a fit of madness I looked at a couple of BMW1200RTs (the dealer didnt have an LT) and a pal of mine has a R1150GS trailie.

I thought the RT was too top heavy and too small (!) but the built quality on all the BMW bikes I looked at was impressive, and the switches felt suitably industrial.

Some switches on my bike just dont work - they either jam in or don't "click" in the "on" position and are generally "plasticy"

So, Honda, please take a leaf out of BMWs book; tougher, more weatherproof and better quality switches!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 12:56 PM

Post imported post

Amen, agree.

I have worked on all kinds of equipment for close to 30 years - in the Army, as a Ham (Amateur Radio), and as a technology guy for a slew of Defense Contractors. Tactile feedback is important to most 'operators', a solid on/off switch or a 'click' on different settings is very important. A smooth working switch might be one thing, but to have the position of a switch (and the functionality) verified by not only visual but tactile cues is important.

When pressing a button on today's gas pumps I can easily press a worn-out keypad for my PIN, but sometimes they don't work as intended (lag or non-functional). The only verification I get that tells me when my input has been accepted is when the little asterisk appears on the screen, sometimes.

Therefore just flicking a switch is one thing, verification of position and functionality is another.

v/r Joel
2007 Silver GL 1800
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page