Larger Kickstand foot - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I usually park on asphalt and don't have the problem, but any time I must park on gravel, grass or dirt I must find something to widen the footprint of my kickstand to preclude my Goldwing falling over. I have taken to carrying around a coaster to use anytime I need it, but it seems to be an oversight. I have also seen the commercial versions, complete with a 'dummy' cord (to borrow a military phrase).

Can't the kickstand foot be widened normally? How about a 'foldout' feature, where the kickstand foot can be doubled in size just by folding out a 'hidden foot'? How about a part of the bike that can be detached from the bike to serve that purpose? How about just a larger foot?

v/r Joel
2007 Silver GL 1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 09:57 PM

Post imported post

Sounds like a good suggestion. Go for it. Invent something

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous bikes: 1980 CM400E, 1979 CB750K, 1993 Vulcan 750, 1992 Vulcan 1500, 1999 Shadow Ace 1100,1979 GL1000,2001 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100, 1983 GL1100 gone
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Current bikes: 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1600 and 1999 Honda XR200R, 1999 Triumph Sprint ST 955i, 2009 Honda CBF1000
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 12:53 PM

Year: 2006
Model: Comfort Navi
Garage
Post imported post

It has been invented, but it needs improving. I bought a kickstand disc from Wingstuff which lasted no time at all. The very first time out, on gravel, it split in the middle.

Tim

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe." Carl Sagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 08:04 PM

Post imported post

Sometime in the mid-late '70s I simply welded a piece of 1/8" (3.175mm) thick CRS plate to the side stand foot (on the wife's 850 Yamaha). This isn't as simple as it sounds though. When you are done, it has to fit into the frame-space when up, and not steal road clearance.

What I did was, a lot of trial & error...when you think you have it, just set the bike's weight on it and spot-weld it or super-glue it, then swing it up and check for interference...draw on it with chalk for mods required...grind/saw...repeat until satisfied, then weld in permanently, wire brush & paint. (Miller Time!)

Lots of dinkin' around, and the final shape might be ugly, but it WILL NOT sink into the abyss ever again. Been thinkin' of treating my current putt to the ritual myself!!

Also, the thickness you can use depends on the lean angle available...experiment with different thicknesses to be sure it still has a stable angle when you're done (i.e. 3/16" thick will be stronger if the bike can take it) The steel is easily available from most hardware stores, and someone you know, somewhere, has a small welder... right?

I do all my own stunts...
Mike
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 10:45 AM
Forum Diplomat

Post imported post

For short stops on soft surfaces, I just park the Wing's sidestand on my wife's foot..... that way, the Wing won't topple over and my wife is always there ready when I come back.....

First name: Mel (Red\'s: Sandy)

"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." (Bilbo Baggins)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 11:00 AM

Post imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Quote:
For short stops on soft surfaces, I just park the Wing's sidestand on my wife's foot..... that way, the Wing won't topple over and my wife is always there ready when I come back...
Tee-Hee...I should very much like to listen to HER version of THIS yarn...

I do all my own stunts...
Mike
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Quote:
For short stops on soft surfaces, I just park the Wing's sidestand on my wife's foot..... that way, the Wing won't topple over and my wife is always there ready when I come back.....
Too much! Thanks for the suggestion!

v/r Joel
2007 Silver GL 1800
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I recently bought a 'kickstand pad', which uses a small bolt to hold onto the kickstand. It works well... but when I take steep left-hand turns I find myself scraping the pad before I'd like. When I ordered Traxxion suspension for my bike I found out I was considered an 'extremely aggressive' rider, I love to lean the bike to its fullest at every opportunity. The kickstand pad I bought it good enough for now... I might have to resort to taking it off and placing it on only on soft ground...

But this is not nearly as bad as the kickstand extension I installed following installation of Kury floorboards. Holy crow, a simple left hand turn and all this screeching and scraping... so I took it off and the sound stopped. I'm not sure who in their right mind would buy a kickstand extension and use it, seeing as how it really lessens my left turn angle.

v/r Joel
2007 Silver GL 1800
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 03:52 PM

Post imported post

joelhar wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure who in their right mind would buy a kickstand extension and use it, seeing as how it really lessens my left turn angle.
How thoughtless of them!

When I have to park in a soft spot, I just use the handy 4x4x1/8 piece of plate that came with my bike. Granted, I have gotten applause for the little dance I do getting it out of the pannier while trying to keep the bike upright...

1998 GL1500A - Stealth Black - the sneakiest color!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 04:02 PM
Forum Diplomat

Post imported post

Carry the plate in the pocket of your coat...... drill a hole in it and tie a 4' string on it.... that way you can reel it in when you get back on!

I've used two: one a fancy little carbonfiber one from a fancy big motorcycle outfitting store (which I shall leave unnamed) and one a cheap thick plastic "Bigfoot" from a Honda shop...... the carbonfiber special cracked under the weight of my packed Wing, but the cheap plastic one just bends and warps..... every time I use it, I put the warped side up! Works like a charm!

First name: Mel (Red\'s: Sandy)

"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." (Bilbo Baggins)
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page