Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Better quality tires on new Gold Wings

12K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  Kikker 
#1 ·
imported post

The O.E.M. tires on Gold Wings in the 30 years I've been riding them have been of very low guality. There is absolutely no reason for tires that are being well maintained (front tire)to wear so unevenly and getrelatively low mileage.

#2 ·
imported post

I agree. I had the 40mph wobble right off the bat with a brand new Wing. The dealer changed out the OEM Dunlop to another Dunlop and it still had the wobble. He changed the front tire again to his last Dunlop in stock and it still wobbled at 40mph. He then went to a Bridgestone and the wobble was gone for good. All I can say is, the wobble is caused by a poor front tire and Dunlop is the name.

#3 ·
imported post

Was the replacement Dunlops at the dealera D250 or an E3?

#7 ·
imported post

I've got a 2005 1800, I upgraded to Metzler 880's. Awesome!!! I put them on my '01 Valkerie Interstate and loved them. They transform the Wing just as well. Less road noise, better grip, better turn-in, braking...you name it it's better. I always thought the Dunlops were junk. Honda ought to know better by now...

#8 ·
imported post

I'm on my 3rd set of Metzler 880's on my Concours. I will NEVER put another set of low mileage radials on any of my bikes. The 880's give me everything I could ask for as far as mileage and rain adhesion...I'm getting between 15 and 20 thousand miles from a set. Can't ask for more than that!

#11 ·
imported post

That doesn't look like a good rain tire the way I understand tire tread design.

#13 ·
imported post

Buzzmoe2 wrote:
2007 wing with 15500 miles and I am on my 3rd set of Dunlop 250's. I am a slow learner. My next set WILL NOT BE DUNLOP 250's.
[align=center]
You are right Buzzmoe2 :clapper:They will be Bridgestones :weightlifter:[/align]
[align=center]Welcome to The Worlds Greatest Goldwing Forum. :clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:[/align]
[align=center]Please update your profile and insert your LOCATION.:action:[/align]
[align=left]:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:[/align]

#16 ·
imported post

I was just looking for new tires and I noticed the wobble too but thought it was the old tires. Right now I havr E II tires front and back. What size tires does an 83 1100 Interstate take? I think the back is a MT90HR16 or something like that, what is best for this bike?

#17 ·
imported post

james013168 wrote:
What size tires does an 83 1100 Interstate take? I think the back is a MT90HR16 or something like that, what is best for this bike?
[align=center]Hey james013168 :waving:
[/align]
[align=center]The size of the Bridgestone tyre for the 1100 :11red:wing is = [/align]
[align=center]Front = 100/90 x 19(57V)TL) Battlax BT-45 Pressure = 2.5[/align]
[align=center]Rear = 130/90 x 17(68V)TL) Battlax BT-45 Pressure = 2.8[/align]
[align=left]:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:[/align]

#18 ·
imported post

Thanks for the advice. I was on a site called American Motorcycle Tire and was looking st a Bridgestone S11 SPITFIRE TOURING, ever heard of this tire? I like the tread pattern on it, anyone ever use this tire on there bikes?

Attachments

#21 ·
imported post

I found the tire size on my Interstate:
rear= MU90 B16 M/C 78H
front= MR90-18 M/C 71H, Guess I'll have to find tires to fit.

#23 ·
imported post

I had 640 miles on my GL1800 when the rear tire went bad. Dealer said that there was nothing in it but that the OEM tires were junk. He replaced it with a Dunlop Elite 3. Picked it up last night so have less than 100 miles on it. Don't notice any wobble. If it last more than 640 miles will be an improvement.... expensive though.... Honda doesn't offer any type of road hazard.... funny, because I could purchase one on a $35.00 tire from WalMart...

Gasseous

#24 ·
imported post

I had 640 miles on my GL1800 when the rear tire went bad. Dealer said that there was nothing in it but that the OEM tires were junk. He replaced it with a Dunlop Elite 3. Picked it up last night so have less than 100 miles on it. Don't notice any wobble. If it last more than 640 miles will be an improvement.... expensive though.... Honda doesn't offer any type of road hazard.... funny, because I could purchase one on a $35.00 tire from WalMart...

Gasseous

#25 ·
imported post

I HAVE A 1800 2009 GOLDWING AND 800 MILES I HAVE TAKEN IT BACK TO THE SHOP SIX TIMES FOR THE WHEEL WOBBEL THEY HAD TO BUY IT BACK I BOUGHT ANOTHER SAME THING THEY SHOULD HAVE KNOWN ABOUT THIS BUT I WILL TRY THE Metzler 880's INFACT I HAVE BOUGHT THEM AND WILL CHANGE THEM THIS WEEKEND
I DO HOPE THIS WILL FIX IT

#26 ·
imported post

[align=center]Hey billyquinn :waving: [shadow=red]You Are Very Welcome To The Worlds Greatest Goldwing Forum.[/shadow] :clapper:[/align]
[align=center]Bridgestone are the tyre for the Goldwing[/align]
[align=center]
[/align]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.