Friendly, Observant Dealer Staff - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 04:34 PM

Post imported post

I have had my fill of HONDA Dealers more with the maintainance, the guy that sold me the bike was great thanks Barry, but i object to my bike coming out of a dealers dirty and with substandard workmanship.

It is getting more common for Honda dealers in the UK to add the bikes to their car and lawnmowerdealerships where i think some of the fitters would be better suited to looking after lawn mowers where they might get their grubby fingers removed by a revolving blade and i will be confident that no oily finger marks will ever be seen on my wing again, were they all trained on triumphs and BSA where oil was an occupational hazard, and do they not knowthat oils can cause skin diseases & if they didn't spill so much the servicing could be cheaper.

I only use them to keep my warranty valid HGB honda of Ruislip were the worst by far and my battle with them isjust about to begini will be trying another dealer soon.

And what the HECK is this environmental charge, i take away most of the waste oil myself on the seat , exhaust & other panels on my bike.

Sorry folks did I go off on one?

I work to live not live to work
keep your wheels off the grass & the smokies off your A$$
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: 1800 Goldwing
Post imported post

Last Friday and went to the Honda dealership and the Suzuki dealership to pick up parts for a couple vehicles in my shop. At the Honda dealer the parts guy was having a bad day with himself. Place was empty of customers so service should have been quick. Not. 15 min later with a huff he asked me for the second time what i wanted. I now playing his game huffed, swore under my breath and told him with a irritated voice what i needed to pick up as I had previously ordered the parts. Now all of a sudden they are out of stock. What a moron. Thanked him for his stupidity and wasting my time and left. Went across the road to the Suzuki dealership and was greeted with a hand shake, parts on the counter with the bill of sale made up waiting for my signature. In and out in less then 3 minutes. What a comparison. Come on Honda! wake up. Tony

02 1800-PEARL CHROMIUM PURPLE ( ILLUSSION BLUE )
__________________________________________________ __
Tony or Anthony if your mad at me
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 02:21 PM
Just me.

Model: 1982 GL1100A
Garage
Post imported post

When I first got my 82, I had some minor problems, having been away from bikes for quite awhile, I called the dealer (read stealer) here in Hot Springs to ask for some advice. Their answer was " the problem is it's a 25 year old bike". needless to say I don't go in there at all, the bike can sit till I find parts elswhere. Also called Honda of Russelville, totally different, they were actually NICE!! If I need to get something from a dealer I will travel the 75 miles to Russelville instead of 5 miles to town.

One day you will no longer be the big dog...
just the old dog....

and it\'s nice to be surrounded by friends
PGR Member

previous bikes
74 550-4
73 500=4
75 GL1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 07:35 AM

Post imported post

Not knowing the different dealerships mentioned I would like to suggest that maybe the size of the dealership could have something to do with the attitude? We have just the onehere in town and he is always ready to help whenever I need it. Even though I took over four years to actually buy anything from him, he was willing to put the time into my questions.

My first wing was an '84 Aspencade 1200 bought last August. Parts are hard to find, but Bud searched his back room and usually had what I needed - letting me know that it was the last one in existence a lot of the time. Then when I was looking to replace the '84 he took in a '95 1500SE with just 6200 miles on it and I was the first call on it.

There isn't any problem or attitude with just walking into the shop area and asking silly questions of the mechanics there.

There are good dealerships out there. Why blame the makes of a great product for some of the lackys that bought a franchise to sell it?

PGR

The scenery is better when viewed from two wheels with your Honey on the seat behind you

Have owned:
Honda Trail 90
Kawasaki
Motoguzzi Convert 1000
BMW R75/5
\'84 1200 Aspy

Member of PGR & CMA
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 07:01 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

Pastor T wrote:
Quote:

There are good dealerships out there. Why blame the makes of a great product for some of the lackys that bought a franchise to sell it?
The pastor is right, it's not Honda but they have the right and the duty to do something about it. They have sales and service reps that are supposed to visit the dealers but when they do I'm sure everyone there is on their best behavior. My closest dealer is the same one woodbutcher mentioned. I get along great with the parts people but have heard horror stories first hand about the service dept. The sales staff seem friendly enough but their prices are too high.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 01:13 PM

Post imported post

let me see... our local harley dealer.... sponsors a HOG group, has spcial custoer events, before xmas had a "ladies night out" with champagne and prizes, and the parts guy was thrilled to find caps for my modifies harley tanks for my chopped goldwing project

when I go to the honda shop... I better already know the part number for something for my 1000.... and the pimply faced kid approachs me with "duuuddddeee, (that is DOCTOR DUDE to you sonny) I didn't even know anyone still rode those old bikes
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 02:52 PM

Year: 1982
Make: Goldwing
Model: Interstate
Post imported post

Three years ago when I was refurbing my 1100I that had sat in my garage for 10 years rotting away, I went to the Honda dealer in town (obvious choice, right?) and askedIf I could possiblyspeak to the mechanic that worked on GW's if he had a minute or two. I was asked what I needed to talk to him about...(that right there pissed me off but I squashed the feelings having worked on the other side of the counter before)...

I told him I wanted to ask about what to do with a rusty fuel tank (this is before I found this site and also Venco Wings about 12 miles from my house). The kid goes out back and comes back a few minutes later and says that the tech suggested I buy a new bike. Ha Ha He He...I was hardly in a mood by that time to laugh. I said something derrogatory and went almost next door totally deflated to the Harley dealer and asked if I could talk with one of their mechanics who worked on older bikes...The guy said sure, follow me, and took me out into the repair area (Right under the sign that said Employees Only) where he introduced me to the guy...We ended up talking for about a half hour about what I was about to undertake, told me about POR15 stuff, they had it there in stock even. He took me back out to the floor, grabbed the kit, gave it to theguy I had originally talked to and told him to write me up and take an additional 15% off the stuff!

I know we "bash" HD here (mostly in fun)and there are certainly some riders that deserve it (and probably dealers too), but if I ever go to buy another bike someday,my experience with HD'sservicewill weigh heavily when I'm at the crossroads trying to make a decision.

BTW, I run into that HD mech from time to time (found out later he lives in my town of 3500 people)and he is always interested in how I'm doing and how the ride is running...

With Venco Wings practically in my front yard, I always go there for parts, never Honda...they can get Honda parts and typically their Honda parts are cheaper than the Mothership anyway.

"Give me some wings I can glide upon" - Gordon Lightfoot

Bikes from previous lives...
1976 CJ360-T
1978 CX500
In Process...
1982 CX500 Custom

"Live Free or Die: Death is not the worst of evils" -General John Stark-

post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 03:45 PM

Post imported post

HD service is so good these days, precisely because they took YEARS of bashing just like this before they woke up. It didn't hurt that they saw their market share eroding, either!

That said, I have 2 Honda dealerships close to me. Carl's Cycle in Boise is the place I go to if I need a part, and know the number, etc. It's close, and the parts techs can usually find just what I need, or an approved equivalentwith little trouble. I don't do my service there anymore though, it has gotten slow, and is more expensive.

Canyon Honda in Caldwell is where my 'winggoes for the annual checkup, and for any service. They seem to understand older bikes, and their riders, especially this cheap one! I often get the "we could put a new _____ on, but I can clean this one up and it'll work just fine."

Hopefully, Honda will follow HDs example, and realize that more people are riding than in the past, and start providing some of the customer service and lifestyle events we'd all like to be spoiled by.

Don Sutton

"I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs."

--Albert Einstein
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 04:52 PM

Model: GL1800 '06 GL1200 SEi '86
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Silverfox
Post imported post

Bought our recent 1800 from the local Honda dealership, their sales staff were "average" I would say, but had reason to use the service dept. some weeks later and they were curtious and efficient. Still not overly keen on using the shop, but sometimes needs must. I shop elsewhere for general biking bits.

Pete

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'06 GL1800
'86 GL1200SEi
'98 ST1100 Pan European, formerly owned by the Late Motorcycle Pete, Member and good friend of many on this site. Available for use by visitors from the USA and Canada.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 09:07 AM

Post imported post

[align=center]I don't understand Honda's attitude. [/align]
I have a Harley Ultra and feel totally at ease and worry free while on the road. I know the HD has full support from any dealer, anywhere and the support will be uniform and satisfactory.

Seems like with the Honda, I am out there all by myself and if I can find some support, who knows what I will receive.

From my view point HD has definatley got their marketing and support as their priority and it is paying off in their sales.

[align=center]WAKE UP HONDA![/align]
[align=left] Dollar for dollar, Honda is the much better product but without the nationwide uniform support behind it, it's always going to be second fiddle.[/align]
[align=left] I love my GL1800 but sure miss the support and peace of mind the HD offers.[/align]

Firemen Like It Hot, Wet, and Nasty!
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page