Locking Fairing Pockets - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

It is frustrating to have to take my Ipod out of the Left Fairing Pocket to lock it in the trunk when I leave my bike. The AUX cable is designed to run into that pocket yet it doesn't have a lock on that pocket. It can be a keyed lock that if you turn the lock 90 degrees the cover would lock but if you didn't turn the lock you could still open the pocket without the key. The same holds true with the right pocket. It would be nice not to use the key to open the pocket unless I preset the lock in a position so that when you close it, it locks. Especially, when I have a a bag or package strapped on the trunk rack & I don't want to get into the trunk. The right pocket is shallow and I have items in there already so I don't have many options. I'm sure most of us would loike to have aan additional SECURE pocket available and two that can be opened without a key if neccessary when preset.

Now that I ride a Goldwing.... I wish my commute was LONGER!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I am referring to my 1800 that I ride everyday.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 04:44 PM

Post imported post

I totally agree as i have my mp3 in the left pocket and often forget to remove it so it is vulnerable but if i were to re route the mp3 lead to the right pocket i would need to remove the ignition key to get at it

I work to live not live to work
keep your wheels off the grass & the smokies off your A$$
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I have the solution!!

A friend of mine took my spare key that I had made at a key smith shop for $1 (Not the spare key that comes with the bigger plastic Honda grip) and put it in the ignition. He then pulled it out 1 notch, marked it & cut it. He then made up a special concoction of epoxy. He got a spare knob from Honda (radio or passenger intercom knob). He put the epoxy in the back of the knob & put the cut key in the epoxy. Now I can put that key (with the radio knob) in the pocket lock OR gas lock and leave it in while I'm driving and just a turn of the knob & the pocket opens up without having to take the key out of the ignition. Especially nice at the gas pump. Because the key is cut one notch shorter than the regular length, the new modified knob key will NOT start the ingnition as it doesn't go all the way down to the bottom of the ignition switch. My friend has two of these on his bike that he leaves in all the time. One in the gas door lock & one in the right pocket. I'll do the same thing next time I see him. He also just informed me that he can rig up the left pocket to act the same way as the right pocket. He will order the Honda parts & install it in my left pocket. The button will be disabled and will we install the key under the pocket on the fairing so that it can locked & be opened with the dummy key. You can leave the dummy key in the lock or take it out and if you leave it in, no one will think that it is a key but just a knob & even if the take it out, it won't start the bike.

If you want more information or would like to see if my friend could make the key knobs for you let me know & I will have him contact you.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 09:11 AM
Ed

Model: GL1200A
Send a message via Skype™ to edgin1601
Post imported post

I have done the same with my extra key, Best thing ever

IF you Can\'t afford a Doctor, go to an airport-you\'ll get a free X-ray and breast exam, and; if you mention Al Qaeda you\'ll get a free colonoscopy.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 08:27 PM

Post imported post

That previous solutions seems like it might work for most GW models but what would you suggest for the 1800 GW with the AirBag system. That model doesn't have a right side pocket only the left pocket which doesn't lock. I'd love to be able to just install a lock that I can lock and forget about taking things out when I leave the bike. I'm thinking about trying toinstall a simple cabinet lock in place of the push button lock...Not sure how im going to do it yet but I'm open for suggestions.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 07:11 AM

Post imported post

I think it is useful to have one pocket that doesn't lock, for quick access to things like sunglasses. Having to fumble with keys and locks at traffic lights is no good.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 07:26 AM
Older and Wiser

Model: GL1500 Aspencade
Post imported post

The new 1800 has an extra quick access cubby bootwing. I guess they could easily make the left pocket lockable, if it still has a left pocket.

Ben.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page