NAVI system operation - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

The NAVI system, as nice as it is, sometimesmakes me nuts.

FIRST SUGGESTION: You should be able to view the map screen without having to remember to acknowledge the legal message before riding away. My suggestion is to slightly modify the Navi actuation procedure to allow access to the basic handlebar controlfunctions without having to be stopped. To access the map, tap the “NAVI” Display button a second time to turn on the map whether you are moving or not (second tap would serve the purpose ofacknowledging the legal warning). Put up a short message after the first tap instead of the "illegal procedure" message you now get. If you can safely read that message while riding, then you should be able to safely acknowledge a short message saying "tap again to acknowledge this message"). This should be OK liability-wise as you are still restricting operation to existinghandlebar functions (zoom and push-for-voice); keep the“ENT” button for remaining menu functions.

SECOND SUGGESTION: If you have the NAVI Audio (the voice) turned OFF, you should not have to suffer musicattenuation every time theunit recalculates, goes into a dead spot, or simply gives you instructions. Make the system work like any Honda car: You turn the voice off, and the music doesn't attenuate when a message comes up on the NAVI. This can be really disturbing when you choose to ignore a route instruction (like if you ignore the command to turn leftwhen no suchleft turn exists). The music attenuates about every 30 seconds as the silent voice screams "make a U-turn if possible."

77 GL1000, 89 Trans Alp, 90 GB500, 06 GL1800, 04 Rincon; Honda\'s all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 02:57 PM

Post imported post

If you push and hold the nav button it will shut off all voice comands. If you just push it only toggles from speaker to helmet but if you push and hold it it does shut off.

Kevin & Bonnie
Cushman don,t know model
73-Kaw 500
77-Kaw 650
80-Kaw 1000LTD
96-GL15000SE
07-1800 Navi,ABS
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks for the info regarding the music attenuation (push and hold). I guess I missed that step in the manual. It works!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 08:14 PM

Post imported post

Another thing I'd really like in the Navi system is the display of altitude!

My Garmin iQue 3600 has to calculate it because it doesn't have atmospheric sensing, but for my purposes that would be just fine!

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Altitude -- yes absolutely! It should be shown full-time (same as the temperature readout should be full-time). Why have to push extra buttons?

On my portable aviation GPS, the altitude is fairly accurate with 3 or more satellites in view. It also calculates the potential error (for example, + or - 55 feet). The info is there.

Actually, I'm more concerned with the number of roads shown on the mapthat don't actually exist.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 05:12 PM

Post imported post

GoldWings are more often used for recreational riding and touring than for simply taking a direct route from A to B.

I would like a facility to plan routes on the PC at home and then download them to the Navi systemin the same way you can with other Garmin units such as the Street Pilot series.

Sharing route with your motorycling touring companionsby emailing the route files - as you can also do with Street Pilots - would also be very useful on a GoldWing.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 06:13 PM
GERIATRIC MEMBER

Model: Neighbours 1800
Post imported post

[align=center]
Hey Stuart Ormerod [shadow=red]You are Very Welcome to The Worlds Greatest Goldwing Forum.[/shadow] [/align]
[align=center]Please update your profile and insert your LOCATION. [/align]
[align=left][/align]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Redwing"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The Rider Of The Fastest Colour"
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 02:48 PM

Post imported post

Verry good idea. Also it would be nice be able to update the cards on the navi system. I bought my GL1800 last October and the cards are from 2006 (City Navigator Version 8). According to Honda Switzerland, there is no way to update up to now......
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 02:52 PM

Post imported post

It would be nice if Honda would have a model with ABS and NOT have to have the NAVI system included to be able to get it.

Soon to be owner of new abs model..

Tom & Cheryl
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 05:46 AM

Post imported post

That ENT stuff is pretty aggravating, I will have to agree. I am forever stopping to get gas in the lead of a group and forget to piddle around and punch the ENT button to resume the route..........I have found also sometimes when trying to program an address into the thing.........it simply by-passes the street you are looking for and spells out something else........but have found when it does this.....put the state in first.....then it will act right.............yep even though made by Garmin..........it is not at all the unit my Zumo is. But it is built in........kinda nice really........I can figure out how to outsmart it in programming...........but the ENT button is a Pain.

The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page