New Kickstand Design Option - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hello all,

In addition to a larger kickstand foot, which would be a plus for sure, how about designing a new, more versatile kickstand? How many times have you pulled into a parking space, or a driveway, or what-have-you, and the bike either leans too far over or stands too straight up? How many times have you had to push the beast backward, uphill, just so that the bike would lean properly and hold itself up? (Of course I'm not talking to the 1500/1800 with their "reverse" gear!). So here's my thought -

How about a dual level kickstand? I mean, surely there's a way to have a standard length kickstand, with a shorter kickstand mounted directly in front of it, right? That way, when you use the standard kickstand, you'd put it down, and you'd see the shorter one "nested" to the front of it; if you were on a slight incline, you could just put the shorter one down, and the longer one would stay up against the frame. That way you'd be able to park in a lot more places...or soone would think.

Am I crazy here, or does it sound reasonable to anyone else?

I'll work on working up a picture or daigram, if anyone is interested.

Jack

1983 GL1100 Interstate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 08:00 AM

Post imported post

I have seen roll-off stands that mounted on the bike that had two legs, spring loaded feet. Lower the stand, back up, dismount. I seem to misremember them mounted on Gold Wings, mostly.

Rev.22,14.....Blessed are they that keep His commandments that they may have right to the tree of life
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Ivanawphalytch wrote:
Quote:
I have seen roll-off stands that mounted on the bike that had two legs, spring loaded feet. Lower the stand, back up, dismount. I seem to misremember them mounted on Gold Wings, mostly.
Oh, I've seen those, too, but those are mainly for level ground. I'm talking about a dual-level SIDE stand. Hmm, I guess I should have used the right terminology! "Kickstand"....geez, what am I, on a ten-speed?

Mea culpa...

Jack

1983 GL1100 Interstate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 12:05 PM

Model: GL1800 '06 GL1200 SEi '86
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Silverfox
Post imported post

I woud agree that the Wings side stands are not great, I would personally prefer to see one that locks out when put down, a bit like those on Harleys.

Interesting concept there with the two stand idea Jackand not a bad one at that, if I may say.

Pete

'06 GL1800
'86 GL1200SEi
'98 ST1100 Pan European, formerly owned by the Late Motorcycle Pete, Member and good friend of many on this site. Available for use by visitors from the USA and Canada.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Silverfox wrote:
Quote:
I woud agree that the Wings side stands are not great, I would personally prefer to see one that locks out when put down, a bit like those on Harleys.

Interesting concept there with the two stand idea Jackand not a bad one at that, if I may say.
Harleys have locking stands? Actually, that would be an improvement over ours, since ours could roll under if the bike were on a slight forward decline, or if some boob decided he wanted to sit on the bike while we're in the local grocery store or something and had no idea what he was doing.

That's another topic...how about some sort of, well, "Idiot deterrent" that would, I don't know - send a bit of an electric shock to the seat area if the alarm were set and enough weight were put on the seat? I know, it's not very nice, but...

Jack

1983 GL1100 Interstate

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 12:38 PM

Post imported post

My bikes don't roll off the sidestand because I always leave it in first gear when I shut it down. Also makes for fast takeoffs when jealous boyfriends are after me.

Rev.22,14.....Blessed are they that keep His commandments that they may have right to the tree of life
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page