GPS Navigation System - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 08:01 PM

Post imported post

NO! I recently purchased an 08 Wing (abs, nav, sound, comfort). The nav system is a huge disappointment. Starting with,the database is over 2.5 yrs old and woefully out of date. Who knows when an update will be available or for how much. I called Honda on it; they just laughedand said too bad even though the dealer assured me it was a fresh database. My advise is avoid it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 09:12 AM

Post imported post

I just spoke with Garmin (8-20-08) about the updates for the Goldwingnavigation systemand they told me that they release the updatesevery two years. I have an 07' GL1800 and I have to wait until 2009 apparently.

This is rather disappointing to hear about the navigation system on my 07' so it looks like I may purchase a handlebar mount for my TomTom 720 when I take serious trips and need better navigation. It is a shame to pay for this feature and discover from others that it is rather disappointing.

Pete West
San Antonio, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07\' Goldwing GL1800 (metallic silver)
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 10:57 AM

Model: 2012 GL1800 Red
Send a message via Yahoo to Wing-Rider
Post imported post

The Nav needs to be customizable.

All I wanna do is ride, ride, ride!....And enjoy every minute of it too! Used to own a GL1500!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 04:26 PM

Post imported post

A couple of weeks ago, the little wifey and I were on some off roads in Tennessee.... completely lost. I stopped, hit the home function on my GPS and told my little wifey.... "if this gets us home, it will of been worth the money".... we made it home without any problem... Would I purchase it again? Yes.... would I purchase another Honda? NO!!.... nice scooter... very poor customer service.... but that is another story....

Gasseous

You will never win a horserace by yelling "whoa!"
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 05:41 PM

Post imported post

A note on Honda service for "gasseous", I agree with your assessment of Honda service. Unfortunately there's always a dealer out there to prove me wrong. Rice Honda, Rapid City SD, on vacation, pulled in for an oil change, 30 minutes later done, looked at the rear tire, needed a new one, done in a half hour. Never would have gotten that at home.

2006 Gold Gold Wing
2001 Valkyrie Standard Two Wheel HotRod
The past:
1977 750K gone but not forgotten
197? Yamaha 100cc we walked around on it\'s license plate
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 07:34 AM

Post imported post

After riding the Lake Superior Loop, I found one main thing that I would like to see improved. On the things to avoid, there should be an option to avoid unpaved roads. This is a GPS on a large touring motorcycle, how many of us want to use unpaved roads? Seems like a common sense thing that should have been put on the set-up screen to begin with.

Then of course, you have the issue of buying a 2007 in October of 2007 and getting 2005 software. Rediculouos.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 01:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to Big red Dogs
Post imported post

Amen to that. This Navigation is not for a motorcycles ,but rather cars and have so many flaws ,that now i think we would be better without then with in.. At least it would be Little cheaper when we bought.

Everything from entering keys ,to routes.. Actually we barely use this system - due to inconvenience and insufficiency -premium in this system was only price for it.. however i do like the radio and Cd's the whole communication in new GL1800 is great ,butttttttt Navigation suck big time. I guess as almost everything - have to goodinized

VTX 1300 2006, GL1800 2008
````````````````````````````````

"The Trouble with nude dancing is that not everything stops when the music does."-robert helpmann.
"Whether invoked or not,God will be present."-carl jung(inscription o
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 03:00 PM

Post imported post

How about a facility to input a postcode (or zipcode if you are stateside). All the after market satnavs here in the UK have this facility

Beware of Geeks bearing Gifs
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 05:05 AM

Post imported post

I'd like to also add that my TomTom 720 has a touch screen to make route entries a lot less time consuming. Also, I can update my TomTom online (through my laptop) as often as I want/need and guess what? It doesn't cost me to do so. I will definitely pass on the Garmins from here on out. Did I also mention that I can download (for free) Starbucks icons that tell me where the nearest Starbucks is. This is available (free) for other retailers/businesses as well.

Garmin won't get my business since they want to charge to upgrade a system that already came with my Goldwing and now knowing that it was out-of-date to begin with really ticks me off. I wonder if Lexus does that with their customers. What ever happen to good customer service? By the way, at least I can upload my music to my TomTom 720 as well instead of having to use an iPod which, I also have anyway. I hope Honda Goldwing gets their act together when it comes to the NAV system or that will not be an option that I will be looking for when I buy another Goldwing or maybe a BMW. They better hope BMW does show them up when it comes to their NAV system.

Pete West
San Antonio, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07\' Goldwing GL1800 (metallic silver)
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 08:34 AM

Post imported post

I wanted the ABS and the only way to get it was with the GPS. Would be nice if the unit was voice activated. Would be much easier, if accurate, then typing. Thing takes me on allot of dirt roads. But it has gotten me home a few times when I had no idea where I was and would have driven many miles out of the way. How much does Garmin charge for software updates? Stupid me, I thought everything was via sattelite including maps etc.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page