GPS Navigation System - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 01:52 PM

Post imported post

Garmin wants 199.00 for an upgraded chip. Seems a little high to me.

[size=I may have other problems with the GPS on my 2006. ][/size]When programmed and traveling on the interstate it wants me to take every exit and then take the onramp back on the interstate.

[size=Has anybody run into this problem?][/size]

[size=I was in a Honda dealer in Kingman, AZ getting new tires and they told me they knew nothing about the GPS and that I should call Garmin. ][/size]I emailed Garmin about the problem a couple of months ago and have never received a response.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 03:08 PM

Post imported post

batess6 wrote:
Quote:
Garmin wants 199.00 for an upgraded chip. Seems a little high to me.

[size=I may have other problems with the GPS on my 2006. ]When programmed and traveling on the interstate it wants me to take every exit and then take the onramp back on the interstate.

[size=Has anybody run into this problem?]

[size=I was in a Honda dealer in Kingman, AZ getting new tires and they told me they knew nothing about the GPS and that I should call Garmin. ]I emailed Garmin about the problem a couple of months ago and have never received a response.

If the honda GPS is set to avoid highways on the main menu, it will full time when using the interstate take you off at each exit and then put you right back on the interstate.

My Zumo 550 will do the very same thing and it is one of the very best GPS units every made. It is in the way you program the unit, if you wish to run the interstate and not be bothered with all that , go to your main menu and pick that you wish to run the highway. It will stop doing that.

Kit

The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 03:17 PM

Post imported post

Thanks for the reply. I did not program it to avoid highways or freeways. I was on a 2,700 trip and did the program several times. It did the same thing to me everytime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 05:43 PM

Post imported post

You don't write from where you are located. Check prices at the Honda dealer in Raton, New Mexico. You can save a couple of thousand here.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 12:14 AM

Model: GL1800
Post imported post

Does anyone know if the compact flash card in the 08 and earlier models can be updated with the SD version from the 09's? I have a PC with all the card slots and it seems like it might be easy to just copy the 09 SD and write it to a compact flash card. The software and maps are on the card so it should work. I am going to get a spare compact card to try it on. Will post results.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 01:49 PM

Post imported post

The 2009 NAV unit is superior to the early years. And he XM weather radar feature is excellent.

I wish I had it on my 2007 so much that I am probably going to add a garmin 378 or 478 marine unit that will be both my XM radio and weather tool. It will be a little superfluous to have two GPS's, but I guess a lot of people do the same thing because they dislike the stock NAV unit.

And no, you can't just toss the 2009 software onto the earlier units. At least so far, nobody has found a way to hack the sytem to do so. The 2009 uses the the NT mapsets, so that's a big problem right there.

One other annoying new concern: Garmin is apparrently no longer going to update the non NT mapsets, so City Navigator 2009 will be the final mapset available. You can replaceyour earlier mapsets withthe 2009 version if you buy it, load it on your PC, and then upload to the card (you have to make sure you pull the unit number off the device in your trunk (just loosen the cover with a screwdriver and you can see the number). the 2007 and 2008 Wings came with 2006 maps, so it's worth doing.

$89.95 for North America non NT 2009 maps from these guys. (don't just buy the upgrade, you need to install the whole package on your PC to then transfer to your NAV card)

http://www.gpsnow.com/gmmscnna.htm

It's item # 010-10474-00 Ignore the warning about not using to update preloaded garmin units....that does not apply to the Wing NAV unit card.

"SLOWDOG"
07 Goldwing - Comfort/Navi/ABS
Traxxion Max Monty w/ Billet Aluminum Triple Clamps
Dark Blue Metallic
"I Fear the Deer"
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 11:11 AM

Post imported post

I would not have purchased the nav system with my 2009 if it hadn't come with the ABS. As it turns out I use an external Garmen Zumo550 because I can download personal routes into it. Garmen told me Honda had specifically indicated they did not want this capability. Would I purchase it again? Yes and this is why. I found a very nice feature called the Weather available through the Nav and XM Radio. Unfortuantley I must be stopped to see the map. Go Figure. Honda has a very nice ride, I love the bike but Honda needs to give us the capability to start the GPS after you start moving, provide downloads from a PC and allow additional screens to be be set up such as the weather map.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 05:10 PM

Post imported post

Mother Honda really sticks it to you to get ABS. Shame ABS isn't a stand alone option...
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page