Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/9-feedback-hondas-goldwing-team/)
-   -   GPS Navigation System (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/9-feedback-hondas-goldwing-team/304115-gps-navigation-system.html)

Lil Pete 06-08-2008 09:03 PM

imported post

It would be nice to be able to enter a destination using GPS coordinates in addition to the current options. It would also be nice to see your GPS coordinates of the current location.

It would also be nice if the voice giving directions did NOT interupt the intercom system. My wife gets upset when it interrupts HER giving me directions.

I would be willing to purchase suchan upgrade for the existing systems. I have an '08.

Kit Carson 06-09-2008 08:05 PM

imported post

I second the coordinates option. Kit

English Bob 06-09-2008 10:19 PM

imported post

I wrote to Honda a year ago with similar comments, their reply?

"Your comments have been passed on to the people responsible"

This is what I think should be included:-

Co-ordinate display

Option to set route to a co-ordinate, or nearest road accessible point.

Altitude

Vehicle speed

Trip meter to 10,000 mi

Compass

The BIGGIE, off line programming of routes with Honda software or already existing trip planning software.

None of these things are difficult or even impossible, I've got a hand held that will do all of this and it cost less than $200.

Wing-Rider 07-03-2008 11:56 PM

imported post

It would be nice if you could also program in custom waypoints as well. This is a motorcycle, not a car. Cars want to get there in a hurry using freeways. Motorcycles want to use the backroads. This is more designed for cars and it is extremely basic as well.

Next point. How come we can't search for all the Burger King's in another city? Say I want to travel to Dallas from Houston and end my trip at a Burger King up there. It won't let me isolate any and all searches in the Dallas area only since I am in Houston.

There is more but this will do for now.:clapper:

rev383 07-08-2008 04:51 PM

imported post

OK folks I need some opinions. Something I know motorcyclists are never short of:).

I have been thinking about getting a new Goldwing for quite a while. Seems to be some great fly-n-ride deals out there right now and I am considering making the jump.

I'm thinking the premium sound would be just fine and I could slap my Garmin on it and do everything I would like to do. I usually keep my bikes for quite a while (98 Valk now) and as technology changes I can upgrade as time goes on.

Garmin GPS, MP3 port on the stereo for my IPOD and I should be good to go.

I guess my biggest question is- Is the GPS equiped version worth the extra $$$?

Thanks, Jim

Nightwing83 07-08-2008 04:55 PM

imported post

NO! lot of not so favorable reports

Lil Pete 07-08-2008 06:21 PM

imported post

Yes, I was after the ABS and Airbag so it came with the package. It seems well integrated and easy to read. After all, if you are already spending that type of money what is a little more?

I do suggest that you upgrade to the model with the ABS as they seem to function quite well. I have not needed theAirbag as yet ......

lakelander 07-13-2008 05:19 PM

imported post

Lil Pete wrote:
Quote:

Yes, I was after the ABS and Airbag so it came with the package. It seems well integrated and easy to read. After all, if you are already spending that type of money what is a little more?

I do suggest that you upgrade to the model with the ABS as they seem to function quite well. I have not needed theAirbag as yet ......
Hope you never need it, do youknowof any one that has hadthe air bag deploy.

ABS is really good, would pay extra for that.

Lil Pete 07-13-2008 06:27 PM

imported post

No, I don't actually know anybody else that was willing to pay the money for the airbag model. I figure it will be worth every penny if it is used. It has to be better than going over the bars and thru the windshield.

wrich479 07-13-2008 07:31 PM

imported post

I have an '06 w/abs and have just returned from a 16 day, 5,480 mile ride, two-up. In my opinion the Goldwing is the finest touring motorcycle built. That said the GPS is just adequate. It will get you from pointA to point B. I think it was dumbed down when you compare it to most other GPS's. I've had it route me ontounverified (so says the gps)roads, even onto dirt roads. Locating specific addresses can be tedious, particularly if the address is on a US Highway which it didn't always find. I used it everyday on the this trip (and others)and it always took me to the address except the few times it couldn't locate an address. Getting it to route you on the roads you want takes adding waypoints. You basically have to know which roads you want and select the waypoints that will route you that way. And don't try to do a long route with lots of waypoints. Computer planning and a download function would be an excellent addition. Even the ability to download new maps. (I understand Garmin charges a lot for new maps) I don't know if coordinates would be of much help unless you plan to go offroad.Or know the coordinates ofeach location. Would I purchase with the GPS again? Yes.