Six speed transmission and Cordless intercom system - Page 4 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 07:37 AM

Post imported post

There is a cordless helmet and intercom system on the market right now. It and the helmet will set you back about $800 plus dollars. And you have to remember to plug it in and charge the battery.

I think fear of the bike brings on the gearing comments, the 1800 is instantly responsive and the fuel injection makes it so. I find the gearing just right. The bike has the torque to accelerate in any gear, one up, two up, the bike does not care. It will simply go.

As for an automatic transmission on a motorcycle, hey they can keep it. Part of the fun of riding is a standard gear system and part of the safety of riding is to be able to use the engine compression for braking at times.

But I suspect an 59 year old guy who is about to buy his first bike might go for that auto transmission, but they have tried that a couple times with smaller bikes and it never caught on.

On wet roads, motor compression is a good thing, as it is on mountain roads.

Kit

The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 09:11 AM
Bruce County Boy/Snowbird

Model: 07 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

kips wrote:
Quote:
I almost bought the HD Ultra Classic because of the 6 speed tranny. Bought the Wing, but at times I wonder if I made the right decision.

Both have their advantages, but you would think that Honda would get on the ball in some of the areas where they are behind their competition.
You made the right decision to buy the Wing, I know. I ride with 2 Harley's that have the 6th gear and are always downshifting while I keep it in the same high gear on the 1500. Not being cruel to harleys, but I have ridden Harleys in a professional capacity ( retired Police Officer) and there is no comparison to ride and comfort over the long haul.

We own a 2007 Goldwing with 65,000 KM ( 39,000 Mi. ) on it.

The best part about owning a wing is you know what your next bike is going to be. ( We know, we just bought our 3rd Goldwing )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 05:15 PM

Post imported post

six speed tranny and a gear indicator

"Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly." I don\'t want to change my account name... but I\'m now riding a \'09 GW w/ CSC Trike.

Previously Owned: \'93 Goldwing Trike; \'05 1800ABS ; \'99 GL1500SE Goldwing; \'05 Honda VTX1300R; \'02 Honda Shadow 750 Classic; \'78 CB500; Late 60\'s Triumph 500 & 650.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 10:32 PM

Post imported post

The 6th gear is a must on the next generation 1800+. Fuel mileage is automatically increased by the lower RPM'S or as I read earlier even a change in the drive ratio of the overdrive gear would be sensible. I have heard that someone has developed a 6th gear or different OD gear for the 1500 and I have always said that it could use some improvement.
post #35 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 02:58 AM

Post imported post

My vote is for 6 gears, larger tank electric screen and much more durable paint (I own a 08 in black).

I also agree that 1st gears ratio makes the wing difficult to manoeuvre smoothly.

GO ON DO SOME WING MILES YOU KNOW YOU SHOULD
post #36 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 06:01 PM

Post imported post

I bought my new 1800 3 weeks ago today and I have probably tried to upshift another gear about 20 times! We have 3600 miles (9 states) on it now and I dont think the bike needs a sixth gear. 3200 rpm at 70 and the bike is loafing. Taller 5th would seem to make sense though. I can accelerate 2 up from 35 or 40 mph without down shifting from 5th. Accelerating from 70 seems as fast in 5th as 4th. A little taller 5th gear for fuel mileage would be cool. (Ill take the gear indicator too!)
post #37 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 10:25 AM

Post imported post

As for 6th gear and larger tank when we tour in europe with 120 k or 80 mph speed limits the gearing in top is to low and the range limited at that speed.

All said though its still an awsome machine.

GO ON DO SOME WING MILES YOU KNOW YOU SHOULD
post #38 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 07:02 AM

Post imported post

ROCK APE wrote:
Quote:
As for 6th gear and larger tank when we tour in europe with 120 k or 80 mph speed limits the gearing in top is to low and the range limited at that speed.
We "toured" Wyoming where the speed limit is a suggestion and Carol Ann, the bike and I were comfortable over 80 mph. We ran 90 plus on the open range, not slowing for the slow curves in the road that I could see thru.. We took the bike past 115 mph at one point and it was then I realized I may be pushing it. We were at 8300 feet and the air was a little thin..The bike certainly feels like it needs a taller final gear but I know that it does not run out of steam til we are far, far north of the speed limit..
post #39 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 04:09 AM

Post imported post

Wow!! Love those suggestions!
I too would like:

A six speed trany
A gear indicator
Wireless headsets
Bluetooth for cell phone
A better XM antenna
An easier center stand to use
An affordable CB system
An electric windshield

BUT....I STILL LOVE MY 2009 GL1800!!!!!

Chris Gl1800
History:
Vespa 125
H1 Kawasaki
CB350
CB360
CL500
CB550
2004 HD Softail
2006 HD Streetglide
2009 GL1800 Goldwing
Proud Patriot Guard Rider
Authorized Amsoil Dealer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #40 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 10:49 PM

Model: 97' SE, Two Tone Red --> 124,024 km as of November 2015
Post imported post

Sixth gear !

Avatar Photo was taken in the Crowsnest Pass between Alberta and British Columbia on Highway 3.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page