Six speed transmission and Cordless intercom system - Page 5 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 04:09 PM

Model: 07 1800 "The Beast" 100K
Post imported post

Reviewing the gear ratios and final drive ratio for better fuel economy seems to be a way to go.

How much work to design and manufacture After Market final drive ring and pinion gears?

What other hardware would have to be included to allow the above to be possible for us to make the switch at home?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MORE TAIL WAGGING and less barking please.

Heading for the sun set and checking the boxes along the way.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(until the keys are taken away)

Ned

Past rides:
USS TENCH (SS 417)
Yamaha 65
Honda 85
Kawasaki 125
Penton 125
Zuki 185
Husky 250
Honda VTX 1300

Enjoying Florida, come-on-down
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 02:16 PM

Post imported post

Put me down for a 6th gear. I have a 2007 wing with 70,000 miles that I ride on the interstate daily. My other bike is an HD Soft tail with a 6 speed trany. I miss that 6th gear on the wing. When I ride the Harley on the interstate, I do end up down shifting more often when I'm in traffic, but so what? If I cared about shifting I’d drive the car with the automatic transmission that spends most of it’s time in my driveway.

Most of my riding is one up, so I don’t have an opinion on the cordless intercom.
post #43 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Gregarious Greeter

Model: GL 1800
Garage
Post imported post

Believe it or not I like the current gearing, because when I twist the wick in any gear the Wing takes off right now!!!

I do not want a higher gear becausewhen I crack the throttle on the interstate and all I get is bogged down and then need to down shift.

Put most baggers against the wing on the highway side by side and crack the throttle. Even with the other bike down shifting the wing will already be gone.

I like to know that I can get out of harms way quickly.

Yesterday is for memories!
Today is for making memories!
Tomorrow is a concept that does not exist!
What are you waiting for? ... Sam-n-Elaine
Just livin\' the dream!!!!!
Just another day in paradise!!!!!
Honor above all else!!!!!
Thank you Dylan Saunders for the layout of my greeting!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 07:47 PM
Steveorino

Model: 1990 GL 1500 SE
Post imported post

norton wrote:
Quote:
cgroh360 wrote:
Quote:
1I think everyone is missing the real outcome it won't be a six speed that will turn heads but and "Automatic"
now lets see where this goes
I'm right there with you!

CVT all the way Baby!
Yes, once you go CVT, you never wanna go back....

-SteveO..
On a Wing and a Prayer...

post #45 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 10:16 AM

Post imported post

The cordless intercom system is not a bad idea, but there are only a couple ways to do it, and do it right. Bluetooth makes sense since it is a universally available technology for everything from phone calls to printing to industrial control, but what it lacks is a base frequency spectrum that is more immune to interference. Even the best BT devices I've had have occasional dropouts of a half second or so, etc.

We don't have to give up sound quality, but manufacturers of BT devices got started with telephone headsets, and have never really gotten the idea that other uses of BT require more amplifier power and high quality sound. The A2DP stereo profile in BT can do very high quality sound, but the batteries are so small, you can only drive super low power speakers.

WHen I started working on our BT products, one of which is a wire-replacement kit for Wings and Ventures, etc., we just spec'd out bigger batteries, and have continued to use the same speakers we've been using for 10 years with the Wing, and so far, it's been proven to be a solid performer. Downright surprising, actually.

So there's hope, Honda rumors are that the 2011 Wing has Bluetooth for a phone, but Im' not sure you'll be able to answer unless the speedo things you're sitting still...we'll have to see!

What I'd like to see on the new bikes, are audio things like FADER, BALANCE, microphone PTT for intercom, a MONO button so our one-eared friends can hear both channels in the good ear, and of course, a bluetooth hub of some sort to bring in more audio devices. Right now, folks like me and others have to fill in the blanks, and we'd much rather be focusing on our core products than fixing things Honda left out And one final thing: advanced voice processing to get the wind noise out of our conversations. Even our prototype BT headsets can do that, so it's not beyond Honda to build it into the bikes.

Ed
post #46 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 02:02 AM
Banned

Post imported post

Goldwing48 wrote:
Quote:
The 1800 has always turned too many rpm at highway speeds. I'm always subconsciously wanting to shift one more time. The engine seems to have more than enough torque to allow another 500 rpm drop with one more gear. It would probably increase fuel mileage as well. Anybody else feel that way?

It also seems time to develop an intercom system that requires no cords.

Goldwing48 "A Goldwing in the Kentucky Bluegrass"

Henderson Kentucky
I can't believe the 1800 doesn't come with a 6speed tranny. Heck even Harley has that! That bike absolutely should have a 6speed. All the crap they stuff on those bikes and to ignore such a solid improvement doesn't make sense at all.
post #47 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 07:34 AM

Post imported post

Hi JimBo,
I was on the same band wagon you are now, so after looking at this issue from a lot of sides, came up with the following.

Looking at an earlier torque / HP curve, it was found the high point of torque is close to 3500-4500. If I remember correctly, the HP is something 4500-5000 or something. High way speed such as 70-80mph (actual GPS) is in the neighborhood of 3000-3500 rpm. So I felt that MOTHER is comfortable with these values in providing the most fuel economy at any given speed in 5th gear factoring the torque issue.

Wind resistance, I think is the main issue in upper speeds affecting fuel usage. (my issue, being a long tripper)

That's my 02s worth, now time for a real automotive engineer's take on this.

Ned

Past rides:
USS TENCH (SS 417)
Yamaha 65
Honda 85
Kawasaki 125
Penton 125
Zuki 185
Husky 250
Honda VTX 1300

post #48 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Banned

Post imported post

I think Honda has probably been engineering a 6 speed transmission for years and haven't perfected it yet. Baker is the benchmark for the 6speed and for obvious reasons, Honda isn't going to have access to that hardware. Whatever 6speed Honda eventually puts on their Goldwing is naturally going to be compared to the Baker. They probably just want it to stand up to that scrutiny.
post #49 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Banned

Post imported post

StereoSteveo wrote:
Quote:
norton wrote:
Quote:
cgroh360 wrote:
Quote:
1I think everyone is missing the real outcome it won't be a six speed that will turn heads but and "Automatic"
now lets see where this goes
I'm right there with you!

CVT all the way Baby!
Yes, once you go CVT, you never wanna go back....
Seriously? You would want an automatic transmission on a motorcycle? Thats not riding. Its about man interacting with machine. Just get a Miata and get it over with.
post #50 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 04:53 PM

Post imported post

JIMBO83 wrote:
Quote:
I think Honda has probably been engineering a 6 speed transmission for years and haven't perfected it yet. Baker is the benchmark for the 6speed and for obvious reasons, Honda isn't going to have access to that hardware. Whatever 6speed Honda eventually puts on their Goldwing is naturally going to be compared to the Baker. They probably just want it to stand up to that scrutiny.
Dummy here, what is the Baker and who uses it?
Thanks,

Ned

Past rides:
USS TENCH (SS 417)
Yamaha 65
Honda 85
Kawasaki 125
Penton 125
Zuki 185
Husky 250
Honda VTX 1300

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page