Windshield wiper - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 09:59 PM

Model: GL1800 2015 Red
Post imported post

What might work, if someone could come up with a neat way to do it, is the type of wiper system found on ships.

There's a disc of perspex which spins at high speed and so stays pretty much rain free.

John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 01:32 PM

Post imported post

http://peerclear.com/home.asp

I installed one of these on my friend Steve's 1500. (See below).He's more than delighted with it as he can't see over the screen too well, especially in the wet......

It comes complete with all you need. I rigged upboth the constant wipe switch, and the intermittant touch pad switch for him........

Phil.
\'98 Honda GL1500C Valkyrie Standard
\'88 Honda VF750C SuperMagna
\'89 Honda GL1500
\'79 Honda CB750KZ (Sold April 2009)

There is no such thing as bad weather, just inadequate clothing.
post #13 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 10:37 AM

Post imported post

At the Wing Ding in Greenville, South Carolina among all the other things on display with windshields was the F4 shields. And a windshield wiper with steel wool wrapped around it.

Okay could be snake oil, but I did see that. How long will it hold up, and dirt and grime and sand is not worn out and compressed steel wool, but does look like the F4 is at least some of what it says it is.

Kit

The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 12:51 PM

Location: Edgefield -Capitol of the South-, South Carolina, USA
Post imported post

Didn't the company give Steve an F4 windshield to try? I thought I remembered something about that, but can't find the thread.

Sean, the Resident Redneck
1997 GL1500 Aspencade Limited Edition
1983 GL1100 Aspencade
Freemasonry--2B1ASK1
"Fear the government that fears YOUR guns."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 08:14 AM

Model: GL1800
Send a message via Skype™ to wingnut
Post imported post

Yes indeed Sean, Don gave me a shield to try. I was saving it for someone who actually needed it instead of hogging it for myself and one of the lads here crashed his 1800 last summer and only rebuilt in before Christmas, so that was an ideal good cause for the new screen. I'll post the review soon.

Steve Saunders,
Founder Member & Admin.
post #16 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 10:48 AM

Location: Edgefield -Capitol of the South-, South Carolina, USA
Post imported post

wingnut wrote:
Quote:
Yes indeed Sean, Don gave me a shield to try. I was saving it for someone who actually needed it instead of hogging it for myself and one of the lads here crashed his 1800 last summer and only rebuilt in before Christmas, so that was an ideal good cause for the new screen. I'll post the review soon.
Cool deal.

Sean, the Resident Redneck
1997 GL1500 Aspencade Limited Edition
1983 GL1100 Aspencade
Freemasonry--2B1ASK1
"Fear the government that fears YOUR guns."

post #17 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 07:35 AM

Send a message via MSN to Nightrider1 Send a message via Yahoo to Nightrider1
Post imported post

Why don't yo just get some of Honda's Plexus, and watch the rain just run off? It works for me. Much less expensive to.
Nightrider1

You meet the best people who ride a Goldwing
post #18 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 08:13 PM

Model: 2008
Post imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
Quote:
At the Wing Ding in Greenville, South Carolina among all the other things on display with windshields was the F4 shields. And a windshield wiper with steel wool wrapped around it.

Okay could be snake oil, but I did see that. How long will it hold up, and dirt and grime and sand is not worn out and compressed steel wool, but does look like the F4 is at least some of what it says it is.

Kit
It won't. I talked to Don Frank, about their window. I was going to make some modifications. He told me, when finishing of the edges, use a file. The residue from sand paper or emery cloth would scratch the coating and thus, the window.
post #19 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 12:16 AM
Just another ORF!

Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

Along the same lines as what Munds Goldwing has reported,(although a lot cheaper and not as sophisticated)is Le Wipe

Only $29 and it wipes both sides of the windscreen at once. It also removes easily when not needed

Anyone tried one?

1992 1500 Aspencade - 213,178 showing on the clock

- just another Rider

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

post #20 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 05:36 AM

Model: GL1800 '06 GL1200 SEi '86
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Silverfox
Post imported post

I have watched numerous threads about windscreen wipers on here and they always hold my interest, since I am one of those who would dearly like to have one so that I could have a taller screen and thus more protection.... BUT.....

This is how I see it, bikes that are supplied to Japan are by law required to have a windscreen wiper, so Honda supply the Wings with them on. They will however NOT under any circumstances sell to other countries. Now my take on this is that they know full well, that the wipers will scratch the screens on a Wing. Because of local laws they concede in Japan, to cover themselves, but they would not want the trouble that scratched windscreens would cause in other countries. Niteflyer,one of our members contacted Honda America asking to buy one and Honda flatly refused, so he made one himself.

I see on the Japanese one pictured, what appears to be a water jet nozzle to the left of the arm on the chrome bra, this would be absolutely essential in my mind for a wiper to stand any chance of not scratching the stock screens, or as Kit and others say, grit will get under the blade and do it's worst. This jet would need to soak the screen before the rubber blade started to move over the screen to lubricate it and allow dirt to be dispersed by the blade effectively.

Unless some firm develops a screen specifically to stand up to the scratch effect of grit and dirt, I fear they are not worth fitting.

This said, it would be nice if Honda did offer them for sale around the world for those who want them, but I doubt it will ever happen, unless they change screen material.

Pete

'06 GL1800
'86 GL1200SEi
'98 ST1100 Pan European, formerly owned by the Late Motorcycle Pete, Member and good friend of many on this site. Available for use by visitors from the USA and Canada.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page