Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/9-feedback-hondas-goldwing-team/)
-   -   Windshield wiper (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/9-feedback-hondas-goldwing-team/305988-windshield-wiper.html)

canberra wingnut 07-07-2008 12:51 AM

imported post

One item I would really like to see incorporated into a goldwing is a windshield wiper so that I can ride in all weather - probably just dreaming but who knows

Munds Goldwing 07-07-2008 11:14 AM

imported post

canberra wingnut wrote:
Quote:

One item I would really like to see incorporated into a goldwing is a windshield wiper so that I can ride in all weather - probably just dreaming but who knows
I found this on another site i don't think this is what your talking about but it's stillpretty cool.

Installed me the windshield wiper. It's designed for a GoldWing and fitted to my RSV with some minor changes. I had to shorten the wiper arm. The wiper wipes by hand and is very good to take the raindrops away sometimes. All parts are made from stainless steel except the changeable wiper.

sandiegobrass 07-07-2008 04:43 PM

imported post

1 Attachment(s)
HOnda already has a windshield wiper for the goldwing, but it is only sold in Japan. found a pic of the GL1500 version.. and a little info HERE

Edit:Well they(Tripod) took away the link to the big picture (then put it back)... but they can't get this one...

Munds Goldwing 07-07-2008 06:08 PM

imported post

WOW FIVE HUNDRED TO PRICEY FOR ME EVEN IF YOU COULD GET THEM IN U.S.A

P Yanney 07-07-2008 07:30 PM

imported post

There was an aftermarket windshield vendor at Wingding in Greenville, SC last week that had them. They were replacing windshields all day long. The wiper motor was mounted bottom center with wiper going up. They are an electric motor and very compact. I'll look at the vendor list in my program and see if a name looks familiar. The also offer windshield treatment so the wiper won't scratch.

wexy 07-08-2008 05:57 AM

imported post

Go get a wiper motor of a small speed boat ,it is only small and will sit on top of the dash ,I have seen a few like this and they work really well ,You will need to drill a hole in the screen for the spindle to go through , Ciaran

Kit Carson 07-09-2008 04:45 PM

imported post

Plastic scratches.........no way to make sure it does not. How do I know this? I am a plumber and work hard.....hot, sweaty, sand gets on your hands.....on your clothes and you wipe your face......crawl under houses and you have dirt, dust, spider webs and junk......so you wipe your face again......your glasses get dirty.....fall off.....so you wipe them on your shirt tail......there they go....scratched up.

I have tried every kind of plastic lenses and magic sure to do the job coating that can be found for plastic lenses. They still scratch. I specifically had a pair of glasses made out of glass....it took a bit of time....they looked at me like I was crazy.....glass??

I do not think any plastic windshield will hold up to a wiper for very long. The very first time a truck or lorry runs past and covers you with road grime....and you make a swipe or two with the wiper.......there you go.......scratched up......Kit

redbaron 07-09-2008 05:29 PM

imported post

I'm with Kit on this one, only way to cut down on that would be windshield washers and thats more drilling of holes. which I think would weaken the fairing...

Claude

RePete 09-08-2008 07:00 PM

imported post

For me, who wears glasses, when the rain starts, drop the face shield, then drop the Wing shield to the lowest setting to see over and it works reasonably well. Having to look thru 3 wet plastic layers sucks.

RePete 09-08-2008 07:03 PM

imported post

wingnut wrote:
Quote:

Kit is right, the wipers scratch the screens very badly. I've seen a couple of low mileage Japanese import GL1500's with the Honda wipers and the screens were ruined and completely unuseable for seeing through from the wipers. The bikes were otherwise in mint condition. The screens need to be made of much harder material to survive more than the occasional wipe.
Maybe polycarbonate but even then it won't last long term. Glass or forget it. And that's not going to happen.