Customer Technical Assistance - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 10:36 AM

Post imported post

As a former parts mgr. for a Honda dealer, my suggestion, especially for the older Wings, is to find a competent independent mechanic, buy parts online and avoid the dealer. I guess I'm lucky. I do the maintenance on my 81 1100, ride the piss out of it and nothing ever breaks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 11:13 AM

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800
Post imported post

George 56-81 wrote:
Quote:
As a former parts mgr. for a Honda dealer, my suggestion, especially for the older Wings, is to find a competent independent mechanic, buy parts online and avoid the dealer. I guess I'm lucky. I do the maintenance on my 81 1100, ride the piss out of it and nothing ever breaks.
I totally agree with this. I was a Parts Manager for 25 years. Do Truck Parts now.
I do have to agree with the level of service at most dealerships has gone way downhill
in the past 10 years. Don't' know if it the attitude of the "New Generation" of the help they hire or what it is.
I go the the dealer, armed with my own part numbers. I do all the service on my 1800 that I can handle. What I can't do goes to the local guy here in the area that is a Honda Goldwing Certified Mechanic. He quit the shop he was working at because of the problems many of us are discussing here. Also he can make more money working a regular job and wrenching on the side. Plus his labor rate is $35.00 per hour
Dealers don't want to pay their help any worth while wage. I used to make a salary, plus commission on the gross profit. Nobody wants to do that anymore in my area.
I moved from Kansas City making $45,000+ per year to Ohio and the Dealers I applied at wanted to $9.00 starting for 25 years of experience.

Retired Motorcycle Parts Manager 25 years
AMA Charter Life Member
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page