I would buy a new wing if .... - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 02:24 PM

Model: GL1800
Post imported post

My My Silverfox...I think you scared everyone away with yourchallenge ?!

TERRY

"To realize the \'Worth\' of the anchor, we need to feel the \'Stress\' of the storm"
"Worry is the Darkroom where Negatives Develop"
2010 GL1800 - Metallic Black) - We call her "Pearl" (as in Black Pearl, a rare, beautiful and exotic gem)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 03:36 PM

Post imported post

The perfect GW.

I bought a 1989 Gold Wing a few years ago with about all the bling bling you can imagine. It does have a set of road pegs that I could take off and throw away; I don't think I could ever spread my legs that far apart and be comfortable.

It has a Travelcade Road Sofa seat and I would not trade it for a new Gold Wing. It is bulletproof and runs like a new motorcycle and it has 86000 miles on the odometer. It is great to own the GW that is absolutely everything you could ever want in a bike. Now if I just had enough money to ride the wheels off of it!

By the way we plan to put about 6000 miles on it this summer, can hardly wait!!!

Your Friend,

John D. (Retired and ready to roll)

post #13 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 04:44 PM

Model: GL1800 '06 GL1200 SEi '86
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Silverfox
Post imported post

BlueWinger wrote:
Quote:
My My Silverfox...I think you scared everyone away with yourchallenge ?!

Don't think anyone is too impressed even with the $/£ exchange rate at the moment BlueWinger!!!!

Pete

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'06 GL1800
'86 GL1200SEi
'98 ST1100 Pan European, formerly owned by the Late Motorcycle Pete, Member and good friend of many on this site. Available for use by visitors from the USA and Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 04:49 PM

Post imported post

The only thing that fits your criteria is a HUMVEE

RIDE FREE
post #15 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I'm an engineer with a lot of design experience and I can say for certain that a bike with the features I'd like to see is possible.

The savings from a smaller opposed four would pay for some of the other features I'd like to see and provide better mileage to boot.

Add in the fact that parts count reduction typically results in a percent savings in manufacturing cost equivalent to the percent reduction in parts count. Again, more money saved to apply to other features with weight savings to boot.

Consider also that top of the line sport bikes and snowmobiles have both lost approx. 100 pounds in the last 10 years while hp has increased approx. 50%. it's possible to do the same for touring bikes, it just depends on where the engineers are putting their emphasis.

Let gas get to 4 or $5 per gallon in the USA and I guarantee you someone will make a bike much like what I've asked for.

2003 GL1800, 05 FJR1300, 1998 TL1000R, 2003 1978 KZ750
post #16 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 03:13 AM

Model: GL1800 '06 GL1200 SEi '86
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Silverfox
Post imported post

cldryder wrote:
Quote:
I'm an engineer with a lot of design experience and I can say for certain that a bike with the features I'd like to see is possible.

The savings from a smaller opposed four would pay for some of the other features I'd like to see and provide better mileage to boot.

Add in the fact that parts count reduction typically results in a percent savings in manufacturing cost equivalent to the percent reduction in parts count. Again, more money saved to apply to other features with weight savings to boot.

Consider also that top of the line sport bikes and snowmobiles have both lost approx. 100 pounds in the last 10 years while hp has increased approx. 50%. it's possible to do the same for touring bikes, it just depends on where the engineers are putting their emphasis.

Let gas get to 4 or $5 per gallon in the USA and I guarantee you someone will make a bike much like what I've asked for.
I would very much like to see your interpretation of that perfect bike.

Pete

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'06 GL1800
'86 GL1200SEi
'98 ST1100 Pan European, formerly owned by the Late Motorcycle Pete, Member and good friend of many on this site. Available for use by visitors from the USA and Canada.
post #17 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 11:10 AM

Post imported post

I think we already have the perfect bike. The 1800 is a tough act to follow. Power, instant response, great balance , big so you can be visible, very comfortable to most and many aftermarket items for those who need something a bit different.

I think I am in the majority when I say I ride a bike for fun. It is a toy. I really do not have to have it for a commuter. I ride it for the enjoyment it provides.

So I want power, I want instant response, not really concerned about how much fuel it burns. If I want a commuter bike to save gas I will buy a 600 cc sport bike or something. Or one of the older Honda Fours that got really good gas mileage.

The 1800 has a few things to improve upon, but they are getting them done, a bit each year. I really do not see it changing a whole lot, it is the bike by which all others are judged, just really a great bike.

Thing is if you did build a small four cylinder and have other bikes available with motors like the S and S 111 twin. I for one would purchase one of those, I want power and performance for my toy. So if you kill the 1800 as now designed , your sales will die too.

Yea I know I am very spoiled with this bike, but I have had a bunch of them, and have never had one like this one.

One good thing is they last a long, long time, so I have no worries, if I wear mine out, I am sure there is one sitting in a garage, with 600 miles on it somewhere, if they were to change to a smaller bike, but I do not see that happening. They have the perfect bike and they already know that.

Kit

The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
post #18 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 04:43 PM

Model: GL-1500
Post imported post

My question is.....Does Honda really read this forum??? Or we just talking to ourselves??? The first new bike I bought was not a Honda, at that time and even now Honda is out of my personal price range new....I did buy an 1982 Interstate and am in the process of rebuilding it....I want it done one way...and that would be as safe as I can make it....Almost allreplaceable parts Honda quit making for these older Wings, and used and abused rebuild-able parts is all we can get, or second rate after market parts....

My wife worked for one of the Honda dealerships in Houston Texas, for over 6 years, and I saw many many Honda's that I would have bought...The CBX was a winner in that touring/sports bike category, followed by the CB series....4 cylinders and raring to go....Even with a total dressed out CB-750 you had enough power to ride two up all day long.....Then the Silver Wings...And the Pacifica....These were all great bikes.....Great for what I like to do...Touring with my wife behind me, not crouched over on the fuel tank, with my butt in the air.....You also stopped making a great looking bike in the Valkyrie.....Why???

Long and short is this there are over 14,000 riders on this forum andwe all own at least one or more Gold Wings and an assortment of the above mentioned bikes, and most swear by these discontinued bikes...Seems to me that Honda has lost sight of what people really want in a motorcycle...

Call me an old man or what ever you want to call me...but here is something that Honda has also lost sight of.....I may be old but I AM the one that has good credit..... I am the one that has a job... I am the one that won't flinch at $24,000.00 dollars if I want it......The only way now I can afford a new Gold Wing is to win the state lottery, should I do so you can bet that a New Honda Gold Wing will be the very first thing I buy......

In closing does Honda really read our comments?? and do you really care that we are serious about the Gold Wing motorcycle??? and what if any thing can and will you do to make our choice of motorcycles better?????..Or do you just read, have a good laugh, and continue on with business as usual????

Claude....

THE NATION WHICH FORGETS ITS DEFENDERS WILL ITSELF BE FORGOTTEN

1982 GL-1100 Goldwing Interstate...Black Beauty
1994 GL-1500 Goldwing Aspencade...401K....

Honorary member Wild Rhinos

I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers
post #19 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 09:31 PM

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Post imported post

I agree with redbaron. If Mother Honda was really interested in making a touring bike that would fit the expectations of the buying public then they would have added a 6-speed transmission about 20 years ago when the requests were started. The way the Wing is going seems to be bigger outside specs with smaller storage capacities for much more money. I think I'll just keep my 26 yr old strong running 1100 for another couple of decades.

Andy
2002 GL1800

"Always have a smile on your face, makes everyone else think you're getting away with something"

If you woke up this morning, don't complain - You woke up!

"It's amazing how much good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit."
post #20 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 10:47 PM

Model: 1983 GL1100 & 1977 GL1000
Post imported post

redbaron wrote:
Quote:
My question is.....Does Honda really read this forum??? Or we just talking to ourselves??? The first new bike I bought was not a Honda, at that time and even now Honda is out of my personal price range new....I did buy an 1982 Interstate and am in the process of rebuilding it....I want it done one way...and that would be as safe as I can make it....Almost allreplaceable parts Honda quit making for these older Wings, and used and abused rebuild-able parts is all we can get, or second rate after market parts....

My wife worked for one of the Honda dealerships in Houston Texas, for over 6 years, and I saw many many Honda's that I would have bought...The CBX was a winner in that touring/sports bike category, followed by the CB series....4 cylinders and raring to go....Even with a total dressed out CB-750 you had enough power to ride two up all day long.....Then the Silver Wings...And the Pacifica....These were all great bikes.....Great for what I like to do...Touring with my wife behind me, not crouched over on the fuel tank, with my butt in the air.....You also stopped making a great looking bike in the Valkyrie.....Why???

Long and short is this there are over 14,000 riders on this forum andwe all own at least one or more Gold Wings and an assortment of the above mentioned bikes, and most swear by these discontinued bikes...Seems to me that Honda has lost sight of what people really want in a motorcycle...

Call me an old man or what ever you want to call me...but here is something that Honda has also lost sight of.....I may be old but I AM the one that has good credit..... I am the one that has a job... I am the one that won't flinch at $24,000.00 dollars if I want it......The only way now I can afford a new Gold Wing is to win the state lottery, should I do so you can bet that a New Honda Gold Wing will be the very first thing I buy......

In closing does Honda really read our comments?? and do you really care that we are serious about the Gold Wing motorcycle??? and what if any thing can and will you do to make our choice of motorcycles better?????..Or do you just read, have a good laugh, and continue on with business as usual????

Claude....

Amen to that Claude,

My personal favorite has always been the CB engine (See my list of bikes, 2 Nighthawks and a 919). I don't know why Honda didn't use it in more applications.

I love my 84 wing too and the price is right. 20K is a lot of money for a new bike I think if they brought back the Interstate trim level and left options to add stereos, CBs, intercoms etc. but just offered a basic wing with the luggage and offered it in the 14 to 15K range they would be getting my attention.

Jeff

USN Ret 1985 2005

Wild Rhinos
Oklahoma Chapter

Present Bikes in the stable
2007 KLR650
1983 GL1100 Full Dress
1977 GL1000 Nekkid

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page