I would buy a new wing if .... - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Model: GL1800
Post imported post

A little background ....

I own a GL1500 that I use for X-country trips with my daughters. None of my other bikes even come close to the GL for long trips. The radio and intercom are the best I've ever experienced.

I commute on an FJR1300. It has the weather protection I need on cold mornings but is far more fun for everyday riding.

I also have a ZRX1200R. I wish the FJR's motor was as good as the Kaws.

I'd be glad to get rid of the GL1500 and the FJR if HOnda made a good enough newer GL to replace them both.

heres what it would need:

REverse. I'd hate my GL1500 if it didn't have reverse.

Radio/Intercom with MP3, XM radio, a couple aux. inputs, and bluetoorth interfaces. Keep the much better than average audio quality. an interface for a reasonably priced 3rd party CB. current price for these "extra's is ridiculous. make your money on the bike.

Saddle bag capacity at least as good as GL1500. Have you ever considered expandable bags or two sizes. with quick dismount like the FJR you could have 2 sizes for bags.

More ponies and more torque. at least equal to FJR. more is better. No one likes to ride a pig. (Well, maybe HD riders do.) DOn't be afraid to make a motor that revs. Japanese motorcycles are SUPPOSED to rev. My old GL1000 was a lot more fun to ride than my GL1500.

continue with a more sport capable suspension.

do some engineering. You're supposed to be good at it. the wing has FAR too many parts. makes it complicated and expensive and a bitch to service. make your target 1/3 less parts, then beat the target.

my 5 cents mark in MN

2003 GL1800, 05 FJR1300, 1998 TL1000R, 2003 1978 KZ750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 01:59 AM

Post imported post

I had more money.............

Ronald

GL1100 Standard
-----------------
Previous bikes in random order:
GL1200 Interstate 3x
Honda Transalp
Honda CB900C
Suzuki Burgman
Yamaha XV920
Yamaha TDM 900
Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Yamaha Diversion 900
Honda Shadow 800
GL1100Interstate
post #3 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 05:17 AM

Model: GL1100 / GL1200
Post imported post

Make the driver's cockpit less cramped for people 6' and taller.

Less toys, more substance. Face it, the toys are nice, but they're nothing more than cute, expensive things to break in a few years. They're also a distraction to a low-mileage rider who will spend more time fiddling with the toys than paying attention to the road.

More room for personalization. We like to hang pretty little chrome things all over our bikes. On the engine, around the bags, around the trunk, all over the fairing, etc... There is just no PLACE to put custom stuff on it, and very few suppliers of chrome toys. So they all end up back in the condition they were when we bought them...looking exactly alike again.

More color options, and the ability to special order the colors we want.

The speedometer OUT of the line of sight of the rear passenger. She doesn't need to know how fast we're going...and me getting slugged in the back of the helmet constantly is a safety hazard.

I can put 2 full-face helmets in the trunk of my '80 Interstate with ease, I couldn't figure out how to do it with an 1800...what's wrong with this picture?

Can those UGLY headlights already!

Mike

Mike Kramer

"Learn from the past, set vivid, detailed goals for the future, and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control: Now."

Denis Waitley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Probationary

Model: VTX 1300
Post imported post

Am I the only one who has no use for the stereo?

KANWINGS / Wild Rhinos
Kansas Patriot Guard
God Bless America
post #5 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 07:05 PM

Model: 1988 1500A.
Post imported post

Ahhhh Popeye:
You are not that only one! However it does give the passenger
the option of listening to something.
post #6 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 08:14 PM

Model: 2004 FLHTCUI
Post imported post

...I didnt love this old 1500 so much.

T.J. (Wooddy)
2004 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
post #7 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

a few adds:

make the seat height lower. It's much too high on the GL1500. YOu add substantially to your potential user population by accommodating vertically challenged people.

you could also put a decent seat on the bike. It's ridiculous to have to spend the better part of a thousand dollars on an aftermarket seat for a bike that already costs close to $20k and is designed to be ridden all day. (does Honda get a kickback from the seat manufacturers for using crap OEM seats?)

post #8 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Monkey with a Football

Model: Linux, Firewalls & VPNs
Garage
Post imported post

... there were no used ones left out there to buy.

Rudy

“...and the rabid dog they gave me
wasn't too much fun”
post #9 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

a couple more adders:

make the ergonomics adjustable thru a wide range so a 5'6" person can get just as comfortable as someone 6'3".

make the design such that if the bike tips over the only damage is to some relatively cheap and easy to replace part(s)

bigger, heavier, more complicated, and more expensive is probably not the way to go for the future.

post #10 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:13 AM

Model: GL1800 '06 GL1200 SEi '86
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Silverfox
Post imported post

To my mind you are searching for an almost if not completely impossible Utopia, and expecting it out of the crate at that.

You are looking for a bike, the size of a truck for luggage capacity, you want a bike that can adjust to accommodate a very tall and a very short person, you want a riding possition that will be comfortable all day, you want one that is ergodynamically designed to slip through the air effortlessly, you want a high revivving engine that has a ton of power, you want weather protection, but nothing that will get damaged in a tumble, you want sports bike nimbleness. etc etc.

Here are a list of bikes that I would recommend everyone goes out and buys. Once you have them, strip down every nut and bolt of each one and put your hybrid Utopia together.......

Suzuki Hyabusa, ( engine gotta be super quick I am sure)

Ducati Monster ( amazing street fighter that goes round corners well)

Harley Ultraglide ( huge tour box)

Triumph bonniville ( beautiful sounding exhaust)

Honda Shadow ( great comfortable bike for shorter people)

Honda Transalp ( nice to have when you meet a dirt road and suits tall people)

Boss Hoss ( head turning monster)

The list could go on, but you get my driftI am sure, but unless you do as I suggested I fear you will never find that Honda model...... "The Utopia."

With each generation of Wing, Honda have stayed ahead of the game and each model has had a pretty good shelf life, and there will always be those that say the early ones were best, and there will be those who consider the latest model to be the most advanced and best, but with a motorcycle there is never going to be a "one size fits all" straight out of the box, if there was, everyone would rush out and buy it and everything else would be history.

Iam very lucky, I guess, because I am size "Mr Average" and Wings suit me, right out of the crate as a superb, long distance tourer, coupled with being a good all round town and country bike.

Now I challenge anyone to name another make or model of bike that can perform so many tasks so well, come on now, convince me!!!!! I lay £5.00 down I can pick holes in that bike that would be a reason for me not to buy it instead of a Wing.

Pete

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'06 GL1800
'86 GL1200SEi
'98 ST1100 Pan European, formerly owned by the Late Motorcycle Pete, Member and good friend of many on this site. Available for use by visitors from the USA and Canada.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page