Important New Safety Feature - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 09:02 PM

Post imported post

I wonder how they would react to the sound of a pack of wolfs approching if you had a low freq sound being transmitted from the bike?

"It\'s easier to ask for forgiveness than permission"
2006 GL1800 (White)
2007 VTX 1300C (Black)
2000 Harley Sportster 883(Purple) Wife\'s Bike "So you want a Harley"
and growing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 05:53 PM

Year: 97
Model: SE
Garage
Post imported post

Kit,

My fish finder distinguishes between small fish an BIG fish. Could I mount it on my wing? Might be the best option. I can never catch the suckers that show up on that thing (maybe if I could get it out of DEMO mode?)so maybe I'd have no luck in hitting anything that popped up on the screen

Lawrence

'97 1500SE
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 06:52 PM

Post imported post

I think mounting that fishfinder on the wing would be just as productive as on the boat. I have one of those things too, shows all kinds of fish under the boat. I am convinced it lies to me. As many fish as it shows one should be able to just snag one I would think!!

I still think about this from time to time, have been lazy basically. I will go around Christmas time and spend some time at the University Library. So far everything I have found is very, very expensive.

Maybe sonar is an idea, bats use it, this is a feasible idea, if one can figure it out .

Kit

The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 07:22 PM

Send a message via MSN to Nightrider1 Send a message via Yahoo to Nightrider1
Post imported post

Mike,
Thats one of the best improvements/add/on's Honda could make.
Nightrider1

You meet the best people who ride a Goldwing
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 11:46 AM

Post imported post

Well this idea sounds good to us normal dummies until you really get into it and do a bit of research. There are a lot of people in this world and a lot of ideas. This one has been thought of and even tried. It will not fly, this dog will not hunt.

I have an friend the is one of the development engineers for Hummingbird depth finders and sonar location devices. I had not seen him for two years as one does get out of touch and I have not participated in many bass tournaments like I used to, but I gave him a call this morning.

It is all a good idea, and in fact some things have been designed and used by researchers in many ways, for example one is to make surveys of existing deer populations while flying around in a chopper. Both sonar and heat devices are currently used for this.

Thing is bottom line to keep a long story short, a deer can appear almost instantly from a roadside depression, or ditch or from behind bushes or an obstruction and therefore the warning system would not work well. If such a system were put on the market, it is his feelings that it would be lawsuit city. Someone would rely on it, and when it did not work then the lawsuits would be the next complication.

So in the design and production of products, there is always the public factor. How will the public perceive this and how will the public react. What kind of liability is garnered by the production of a product. That is a main concern with any product.

I have simply found out it has been discussed, looked at and rejected by folks much smarter than I.

As a deer can appear, as I well know from personal experience, almost instantly, just all of a sudden there it is, I fully understand what he is telling me. No device can or could sense the impossible.

Respectfully

Kit

The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 05:48 PM

Model: GL1800
Post imported post

SB in SC wrote:
Quote:
I was hoping for a front mounted Gatlin gun, like the GE electric mini cannon. Of course, then one saddlebag would be full of ammo, so you'd lose some storage space.
.....not sure how well this would work on the deer , BUT I would just "LOVE IT" for those stupid idiots who look directly at you when you are coming down the road and STILL pull out in front of you !!!.........I'm tired of pulling leather seat cusion out of my "butt hole".

....by the way, Mike, I think that would still be a good idea. ANY warning at all would be better than NO WARNING....1/2 second warning could be the difference between 'Life & Death' !

TERRY

"To realize the \'Worth\' of the anchor, we need to feel the \'Stress\' of the storm"
"Worry is the Darkroom where Negatives Develop"
2010 GL1800 - Metallic Black) - We call her "Pearl" (as in Black Pearl, a rare, beautiful and exotic gem)
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 07:04 PM

Year: 97
Model: SE
Garage
Post imported post

"I have simply found out it has been discussed, looked at and rejected by folks much smarter than I." Kit Carson (Guru)

Say it ain't so! Smarter than our GURU!?

Lawrence

'97 1500SE
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 07:09 PM

Post imported post

MDKramer wrote:
Quote:
Dear Honda,

Having noticed the multitude of motorcycle/deer accidents reported in this very forum over the last year, it has come to my mind that Honda could again be on the cutting edge of motorcycle safety, very much like the airbag system on the GL1800.

What I propose is a HUD (Head Up Display) displayed FLIR (Forward Looking Infra Red) for Deer (pronounced Fleer For Deer) system.

Such a system would only display on the windshield items who's temperatures are different from the ambient temperature of the area being ridden in. This system would need an intensity adjustment that would allow the display to be bright enough to be visible in bright sunlight, yet turned down to a more comfortable viewing level after dark.

This system would also need to display in such a manner as to be an "overlay" to the current road in the driver's sight through the windshield. It should also be packaged as an option for purchase much like the GPS system so that riders who do not feel the need for such a thing aren't "forced" to have it, while those of us who ride in highly deer populated areas would have it available to us.

Let's face it, nobody likes to see a motorcyclist injured or killed. Many times the motorcyclist who hit the deer didn't even see it because it was down in the ditch, in deep grass, and didn't spring out until it was too late to avoid it. With an infra-red heat detecting system, that rider would have been warned well in advance that something large and warm was lurking deep in the ditch up the road, giving the rider ample opportunity to slow, evade, and avoid a collision.

Several luxury sedans and SUVs in the US already have similar systems available, and have been quite popular and successful. I believe the manufacturer of the only true Luxury Motorcycle should step up it's efforts to keep it's riders and customers as safe as possible and seriously consider this as a viable option for future Goldwings.

Respectfully,

MDKramer
with all due respect mike, to implement this concept would only make the pleasure of being in the wind very much akin to driving a car.....where do the similarities end and the freedom begin

\"\"THE MAD WELSHMAN in OZ\"\"

\"Lifetime member of the ORIGINAL 6 PACK club\"
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 08:08 PM

Post imported post

wpgfire wrote:
Quote:
"I have simply found out it has been discussed, looked at and rejected by folks much smarter than I." Kit Carson (Guru)

Say it ain't so! Smarter than our GURU!?

Kit
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 08:23 PM
SC

Post imported post

I personally have a “professional” working the front and back and side yard in the real hopes of reducing my (and your) odds of an “incident”

I think the solution is to eat more wildmeat
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page