Important New Safety Feature - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Model: GL1100 / GL1200
Post imported post

Dear Honda,

Having noticed the multitude of motorcycle/deer accidents reported in this very forum over the last year, it has come to my mind that Honda could again be on the cutting edge of motorcycle safety, very much like the airbag system on the GL1800.

What I propose is a HUD (Head Up Display) displayed FLIR (Forward Looking Infra Red) for Deer (pronounced Fleer For Deer) system.

Such a system would only display on the windshield items who's temperatures are different from the ambient temperature of the area being ridden in. This system would need an intensity adjustment that would allow the display to be bright enough to be visible in bright sunlight, yet turned down to a more comfortable viewing level after dark.

This system would also need to display in such a manner as to be an "overlay" to the current road in the driver's sight through the windshield. It should also be packaged as an option for purchase much like the GPS system so that riders who do not feel the need for such a thing aren't "forced" to have it, while those of us who ride in highly deer populated areas would have it available to us.

Let's face it, nobody likes to see a motorcyclist injured or killed. Many times the motorcyclist who hit the deer didn't even see it because it was down in the ditch, in deep grass, and didn't spring out until it was too late to avoid it. With an infra-red heat detecting system, that rider would have been warned well in advance that something large and warm was lurking deep in the ditch up the road, giving the rider ample opportunity to slow, evade, and avoid a collision.

Several luxury sedans and SUVs in the US already have similar systems available, and have been quite popular and successful. I believe the manufacturer of the only true Luxury Motorcycle should step up it's efforts to keep it's riders and customers as safe as possible and seriously consider this as a viable option for future Goldwings.

Respectfully,

MDKramer

Mike Kramer

"Learn from the past, set vivid, detailed goals for the future, and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control: Now."

Denis Waitley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 03:08 PM
Village Whack Job...

Model: '81 GL1100 Interstate
Garage
Post imported post

Now that is what I call a damn good idea!

P.G.R. Member ID: 88374

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our Soldiers are what make us strong. Without them there would be no USA.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 06:29 PM

Post imported post

Wow, I wonder what that option would cost?

Deer are completely stupid, I've had a close call once myself and it was in broad daylight too!

I've tried to fool myself into believing that my passive deer whistles are protecting me.

You can also add a electric deer whistle as well for about $50. I don't know how effective they are.

Have any of you guys run with the electric whistle?

Daveo

Owned Previously:
SL100 1974-1976 9,000mi
CB175 1975-1976 100mi
CL350 1975-1980 20,000mi
CB550K 1978-1982 20,000mi
GL1000 1988-1993 2,500 (got the 1500, never looked back
GL1500 1989-1997 50,000mi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 07:24 PM
Monkey with a Football

Model: Linux, Firewalls & VPNs
Garage
Post imported post

What you need is one that will project into the future about 10 seconds. Them suckers are fast.

Rudy

“...and the rabid dog they gave me
wasn't too much fun”
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 08:28 PM

Post imported post

We had some things like that in the military. Used to use them on chopper patrols to locate the NVA. They also use them in some of the wildlife departments in the civilian world to survey deer populations.

The thing is like Rudy says: Those suckers are fast!! The deer I hit about 7 years ago was just instantly there, I had time to only sit up straight, hang on and hit it square. I never went down, but it completely folded the front forks up under the bike. I honestly do not think I could have avoided it.

The thing is with the current designs even if they could be scaled down for use on small vehicles, they work on a certain cone angle of signal and reception. So a deer down in a ditch in some brush, would actually be out of the cone angle and not sensed. If it so chooses to run out in front of you when you are six feet from it...uh oh! For example at 1000 feet the sensor area signal is about 200 feet in diameter. At 100 feet the sensor receives only a 20 foot radius. Scaled down it would be smaller.

Sonar or air (radar) is also subject to objects between the organic object sensed (deer or human) and the signal is blocked. Some sound systems can penetrate objects even solid rock, but their signal length is not very far, maybe 25 feet.

Also more than just sensing deer it would also sense all humans riding in a car. So if rigged to an audible signal, beep, it would be beeping all the time.

So that is the challenge, how to increase the cone angles to work on a spread area, and how to separate humans, deer, and objects and only have an audible signal for a deer.

Anyone smart enough to accomplish this would be rich, I suppose just about every biker would buy one.

Kit

The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I'll be honest here, the deer thing was pretty much tongue in cheek, and pointed at the fact that there HAVE been a ton of posts about bike/deer collisions recently. But the concept of a HUD/FLIR system was actually serious.

I realize that FLIR, like any other mechanical viewing technology, has it's limitations. I don't know that an audible beep would be anything but annoying in some circumstances, but on a dark road, at 2am, any moving heat signature at the edge of the cone (which I'm assuming will, like in some of the helicopter mounted units, extend beyond my headlight) flashed up on my windscreen will get my attention and alert me that I need to be ready to react accordingly...As opposed to having Rocky Raccoon standing in the middle of the road munching on some road-kill stew suddenly appearing at the edge of my headlight, too close for me to react to him.

I also realize that there would be blind spots. An overlay type display would limit the field of view to what a rider sees through their windscreen only. Not much protection from the deer that comes barreling full speed across the field to your right on a 90 degree angle to you, with timing just perfect to put him in your front wheel...But for the one standing on or near the edge of the road waiting to be spooked into jumping in front of you, a few extra seconds of warning could be all you need to avoid tearing up your bike, and yourself.

Mike

Mike Kramer

"Learn from the past, set vivid, detailed goals for the future, and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control: Now."

Denis Waitley
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 08:04 PM

Post imported post

Now wings are gonna come from the factory with deer whistles .

Thanks Mike.

Tim
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 08:53 PM

Location: Edgefield -Capitol of the South-, South Carolina, USA
Post imported post

I was hoping for a front mounted Gatlin gun, like the GE electric mini cannon. Of course, then one saddlebag would be full of ammo, so you'd lose some storage space.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GE_XM214_Minigun-2.jpg (26.3 KB, 396 views)

Sean, the Resident Redneck
1997 GL1500 Aspencade Limited Edition
1983 GL1100 Aspencade
Freemasonry--2B1ASK1
"Fear the government that fears YOUR guns."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Personally Sean, I'd love forward and rearward firing heat seekers...but I doubt very much Honda would take that request seriously.

Mike

Mike Kramer

Denis Waitley
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 11:31 AM

Post imported post

as long as it senses bullocks (immature male bovines around 400lbs) I'd buy one!!!

Mark

\'96 Electric Blue GL1500 SE
\'82 CB 750 FA(sick puppy)
RBLR Area Rep for RoI

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page