I just want to be able to put a standard jack under them - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Why can't they configure the bottom of these bikes so we can use a standard motorcycle jack. I have a hell of a time jacking mine up. Infact, all my honda's havebeen that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 02:28 PM

Model: GL1800
Send a message via Skype™ to wingnut
Post imported post

Good point. On most machines it would be easy to add a jacking point without compromising on ground clearance.

Steve Saunders,
Founder Member & Admin.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 05:46 AM

Post imported post

Well tell us, how did you get it jacked up or better yet post a picture. I'm getting tried of laying on the floor to work on this thing.

Lead me not into temptation.......I believe I remember the way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 07:04 AM

Post imported post

Jamut wrote:
Quote:
Well tell us, how did you get it jacked up or better yet post a picture. I'm getting tried of laying on the floor to work on this thing.
Well you can purchase a bulldog jack that works fine. Or with the economy model jacks like the harbor freight one and sears, what I do is:

Your balance point is directly under the center stand pivot bolts. You want the jack on the right side of the bike, with the left bar of the jack directly across where the center stand pivot points are. You have to be very careful and not put pressure on the coolant tank. Put rear suspension in the full up position and put the side stand on a 2 by six or something, and I have also cut two pieces of 3/4 plywood and notched out the back of them so they will not harm the coolant tank, and using velcro positioned those spacers on the jack so they stay put. This somewhat levels the contoured engine bottom and just provides enough clearance to not put the full weight of the bike on the two side bars of the frame.

I use a jack versus the lift, if I wish to check the front steering head tension, or change a front tire, and also do strap it to the lift , and also provide support under the rear wheel or front wheel, whichever one you are not working on, support the other one.

When you have it right, the rear wheel will come off the floor first, then the front, just 1/2 inch forward or back makes a difference.

Oh and do not try to move the 1800 when up on a jack, it is cool with the bulldog, but not these little ones. Your are asking for trouble trying to move the bike around when up on one of the small jacks.

Kit

The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 07:11 PM
Banned

Post imported post

I use a jack when I change wheels,,, just a cheap car type scizzor jack with a piece of wood as a cushion. placed under the bolt that goes across the bottom of the engine.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page