Paint shops - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Old Broad

Year: 1995
Make: Yamaha Virago
Model: 1985 GL1200 I w/LTD body(SOLD :( )
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to fysty-1
Post imported post

I think that mother Honda as well as others should have paint shops as do the auto dealers. The big motorcycle repair training facilities don't even teach body repair. There is always going to be a need for this as we may want to restore or even have a minor or major accident. Here in Vancouver I have found 4 or 5 shops that will paint but are very expensive as they are custom bike builders and the auto body shops want the body parts removed by customer before they will paint.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Angela, aka fysty-1(R) & Dani(L), S.Surrey, B.C.
1985 Gold Wing GL1200 I(SOLD Apr/2012)
No matter how blue it may get, there is always a rainbow in the sky.
Blue is not the fastest color, but it is the prettiest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(women only)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 03:32 AM

Post imported post

very good point Ms Angela

\"\"THE MAD WELSHMAN in OZ\"\"

\"Lifetime member of the ORIGINAL 6 PACK club\"
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Old Broad

Garage
Post imported post

Thanks you my dear.:hallo :

(women only)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 06:14 AM
Monkey with a Football

Model: Linux, Firewalls & VPNs
Garage
Post imported post

It might be because the painted parts get ordered by the dealer, already painted from MH.

Rudy

“...and the rabid dog they gave me
wasn't too much fun”
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 07:37 PM

Post imported post

I restored an 83 two-tone dark gray 1100 Aspencade and talked the guy at Maaco into doing it. I ordered the pinstripe from Stripeman.com and did that myself. It came out perfect and had $300 in it. My 87 1200 is due out of the paint shop this week, same guy doing it for $250. I took everything appart and took all the pieces there but was worth it to me. I think Maaco is in Canada so might be worth a try.

Paul
87 GL1200 Interstate
08 Harley 105 year Anniversary Custom
76 Honda CB750K
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Old Broad

Garage
Post imported post

P Yanney wrote:
Quote:
I restored an 83 two-tone dark gray 1100 Aspencade and talked the guy at Maaco into doing it. I ordered the pinstripe from Stripeman.com and did that myself. It came out perfect and had $300 in it. My 87 1200 is due out of the paint shop this week, same guy doing it for $250. I took everything appart and took all the pieces there but was worth it to me. I think Maaco is in Canada so might be worth a try.
Yes we have Maaco here and they also want the body parts removed prior to paint. This is my whole point in this post. To find some whith the knowledge of our bikes to be able to remove the body, paint & reinstall. Where I live, we are not allowed to do any work on our vehicles and besides I have not access to a garage or shed or any cover at all.

(women only)
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 07:34 AM

Post imported post

Too bad you don't have a place to work on it. I think you would be hard-pressed to get a bike shop to disassemble let alone paint it. I agree there should be this service available. You may just have to keep checking till you find somebody. I used this as an opportunity to change timing belts, hoses, all fluids, grease rear spline, etc. Too bad your'e not close, I'd do it for you. Paul

Paul
87 GL1200 Interstate
08 Harley 105 year Anniversary Custom
76 Honda CB750K
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Old Broad

Garage
Post imported post

Thanks Paul, I wish you were also.:coold evil:

(women only)
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 04:13 PM

Model: GL-1500
Post imported post

I made a reply to this thread, and lost it....So here is the shorter version....If any of you guys have several hundred thousands of dollars laying around ...Sent it to me and I'll open up a Gold Wing only paint and body shop....

Here is one of the main reasons that Honda dealers won't open up paint shops...If they do then there are at least 4 agency's that get involved into the planing, building, and constant monitoring of all body shops..You have the City, who will look at your plans and if you are not too close to this or that and check the the zoning laws, that says its ok to build one.... Then you meet with the next one...The County and they review what the city said and they in turn hand you over to the State Who gives your request to ......Guess who????? OSHA....Now big brother says yes or no, and they watch you every step of the way from bare ground to finished shop....Everything best be up to codes or no matter how much you spent...You ain't gonna open up.....
This is why a lot of the independent paint shops have closed....We had a Mayco shop here for years.....The Hospital 5 blocks down the road complained about the paint odors in the air....Now that location is a Mexican business strip center....

So if you got the money, I got the time to fight the big 4, if not get Rudy's address and send your wing parts to the guy that painted Rudy's wing...He does GREAT work, as to how much he charges I have no idea....

Claude.....

THE NATION WHICH FORGETS ITS DEFENDERS WILL ITSELF BE FORGOTTEN

1982 GL-1100 Goldwing Interstate...Black Beauty
1994 GL-1500 Goldwing Aspencade...401K....

Honorary member Wild Rhinos

I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 12:10 AM

Post imported post

Yep,cheaper and more profit to make parts and sale them.
Most people want a show room paint job for couple hundred bucks and that dont cover the paint,There are plenty of guys out there that do the work,just may have to search a bit.

We are all blessed every day....Just take time to connect the dots.
Support your local VFD,your life may depend on it.
(343)
Vets past,present and future.....THANK YOU !
PGR Member
The Only Stupid Question Is The One You Did Not Ask.

Tony
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page