Why will some dealers not work on Hondas over 10yrs old? - Page 10 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 178 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 04:46 PM
mr irrelevant

Model: 2009 GL 1800
Garage
Post imported post

Purchased my 83 Interstate in july, went looking for shops that might work on it if needed. Local honda dealer called Garvis Honda said would work on it, shop rate would be 85 an hr.Another shop works on older bikes but wont tackle my (new to me)1500's electrical issues if they arise, was told take it to Garvis. Last shop i found and ended up using is called Fender Cycle. Had them replace front tire, they matched the internet price btw, they also worked on brakes while it was there and apart and helped with carb work too.But when picked up the bike both front caliper bolts were loose!!

Wish knew someone local who was retired tech from honda and would give them a ton of business. The shop manager at Garvis stated they would work on any yr goldwing, course they also stated they wanted to see the bike first too before committing to work on it.!If you own an older wing around DSM, its a pain to get any work done on them.

Mark
Previous bikes..
76 goldwing gl1000
82 suzuki gs750
83 goldwing gl1100 Interstate,sold jan 2011
93 GL1500 SE purchased 12/2010 with 73k,now over 106k traded in this may.
Current ride is a 09 gl1800 level 3
Wild Rhinos Iowa Chapter
GWRRA #343274 Chapter A Black Sheep Squadron
IOWA PATRIOT GUARD
Now an honorary Newfie!! We have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" so are now members of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 178 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 12:08 PM
Texting Survivor "Barely"

Year: 2003
Make: Honda
Model: Gl1800A
Garage
Post imported post

Your lucky you have a "Dealer" here the "Honda" dealer is a huge Harley dealership that has the honda dealership just to keep anyone else from having it or so it seems. If you go in for honda work they make you feel like a moron for owning a Wing and try to sell you on a harley. They also won't work on a wing older than 10 years. They did do me a favor by recommending a local mechanic with no dealership but a "real mechanic"

Not a "tech" which is a wordthat means"part replacer with no mechanical skill".

So he now gets all my work, but he can't do warranty work.

I went to another Honda dealer 100 miles from my house and bought a 2010 Goldwing, My first brand new Goldwing after owning wings since 1981, 29 years of used bikes . I figured I woud take it the 100 miles for warranty work...........

NO SUCH LUCK! 2 weeks after I bought it I received a call to come get my new bike as the "dealer" had gone bankrupt.
The deal was they stored it for the winter BUT now I had to find a place to store it and a way to get it home in -8 weather and snow.
So now I get a letter from Honda telling me that my "new" dealer is the big harley dealer that has no interest in honda products.

Man I love my wings but sometimes I'm a bit jealous of the harley guys and the dealer support they seem to get.

It's not What you ride..
It's That you ride...

Was 2010 Goldwing "Died Aug. 2016 RIP"
Now 2003 Goldwing
First Goldwing bought was 1977 GL1000 used in 1981 with fairing and saddlebags. have had 9 Wings.
post #93 of 178 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 09:45 AM
Happy Goldwinger

Model: GL1000, 1978 Black.
Post imported post

I am lucky to have my Dads old Goldwing mechanic a few miles from where I live. I don't know what I will do if he ever croaks it, it's not so easy to find guys who love working on the early Goldwings. Randakks has some parts that Honda don't make any more. But for places like that and forums like this one, many of us would cover our old Goldwings up and forget about them.

Earl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 178 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 10:46 PM
FM

Model: 91-I
Garage
Post imported post

I've skim read most of this post and noticed one point missing.
It's quite possible the dealers won't work on older bikes is due tomanufactures request/requirement.

The MFG's would rathersell new whole bikes, it's ahigher profit margin than small parts. I say small parts because auto parts are usually larger than bikes, generally speaking.
Sure you'll see aftermarket bike parts but that's almost all GLITZ stuff. Take a cars carburetor (etc.) in & get a new one or a rebuilt. Not so with bikes.

Understandable that there are literally 100,000's of models out there and a "Bike Parts" (like Auto Parts) store just can't stock one to fit many models. That's the problem the motorcycle manufactures have to think long and hard about if they want loyal customers.

Granted bikes are cheaper than cars but still,....
we spend money on bike just like our cars & trucks.

(Clara Peller) "WHERE'S THE SERVICE!"

post #95 of 178 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 08:33 AM

Year: 1982
Make: Goldwing
Model: GL1100
Post imported post

I used to go to Honda Town in Minneapolis on Lake st. They usually had the parts for my GL1100 or would get them quickly. Unless Sport Wheels has changed, they were overpriced for used parts and you pulled them yourself.

Have 1982 GL1100 with a 1977 Watsonian Monaco sidecar. Live in Mesa AZ.
post #96 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 05:09 PM

Post imported post

Honda dealer in Daytona Beach flat out told me that anything over 10 years old, we will not service it and we do not stock parts for it. That rules out my 75, 78 and 81 Goldwings. The 03 Shadow ACE Deluxe that I bought for my wife is now only 2 years away from the service ban. A few years ago Mother Honda stopped demo rides at the speedway during Bike Week. Now you get a voucher and schedule it through the stealership. I used to look forward to tryingsome of the new Honda models each year and waiting for the one to make me sign the papers again.How am I dealing with these issues?

Beendoing my own service work for over 20 years now. Hell , I once installed a new stator in the stealership's parking lot! Have rebuilt engines and transmissions and clutches. Have rebuilt a few racks of carbs for my Wings also. Parts? Bike Bandit and EBay. Demo rides? Still at the speedway and with any manufacturer except Honda. I do not even visit the tent anymore. Growing to like Harleys more and more. Looking into welding classes at the local technical college so I can give up bikes and build trikes.

I understand the ever changing financial dynamics in today's insane world, but when you make a product that with minimal care will last decades, I expect you to support it with parts and service. This concludes my rant. Long live the do it yourselfers!
post #97 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 08:05 AM

Post imported post

The problem with HD dealers is the crap bikes they sell. I don't give a hoot about their "wonderful support" on the junk they sell. Over priced image crap for over grown children. The bikes are slugs, loud and by virtue of their "image" emphasis air cooling means they literally can't take heat. The rear cylinder over heats and HD's solution is just to shut it off. BRILLIANT!
Wayne a happy and proud Winger
post #98 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 08:05 AM

Post imported post

The problem with HD dealers is the crap bikes they sell. I don't give a hoot about their "wonderful support" on the junk they sell. Over priced image crap for over grown children. The bikes are slugs, loud and by virtue of their "image" emphasis air cooling means they literally can't take heat. The rear cylinder over heats and HD's solution is just to shut it off. BRILLIANT!
Wayne a happy and proud Winger
post #99 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 08:49 AM

Post imported post

It's not just in the motorcycle industry. I help at a marine dealership in my off time for the beginning of summers and we won't touch anything over 10 either. There's a big parts issue at that point in the lifecycle. Manufacturers don't keep making parts for old models. They have to support their latest offerings. The same goes in the automotive market except thay have aftermarket manufacturers producing parts for the old models. I'm not defending any of the stealerships on this. My local Honda shop will still work on my 89 no problem and they still have some parts. Will I let them that's a big NO I don't trust them. When I do the work I know it's right and don't worry if they missed something. I don't even worry about it my GL1500 is 22 years old and runs as good as my friends 00. It breaks I fix.

89 Gl1500 in progress and on the road
77 KZ900
05 Ultra
03 Wideglide
00Sporty
97 FXDL
90 Concourse
etc etc etc.........
post #100 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 12:41 AM

Send a message via MSN to goldwingman203
Post imported post

cldryder wrote:
Quote:
The 10 year rule is particularly hard to understand when you consider that an 88 GL1500 is very little different from one made in the last year of production.

Are those dealers SELLING used bikes older than their 10 year rule. ALmost certainly yes.

I also won't patronize a dealer that won't support their products.

A more reasonable limitiation would be 20 or 25 years which is when bikes officially become "vintage".
It, s stupid idea when you know how much labour they charge per hour the longer they work on a bike the more money they are making , some dealer,s are letting good money walk out the door , you cant judge a book by it,s cover??avoid old bike,s at your own peril???

Hi ALL MEMBERS im amember of the UYLSSES club of Albury/Wodonga here down under i have had 3 wing,s now but this 1500 is my pride an joy it,s my jason recliner on wheels,with all the benifit,s radio cass criuse an so on they truly the best bike there is Harley,s are good for boat anker .stay safe every one .

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page