Why will some dealers not work on Hondas over 10yrs old? - Page 12 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 178 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 09:13 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Harley
Post imported post

I live on the state line of NC, Ga and TN. Our only Honda Dealer Will not work on GL over 10years thay didn't even know what a SEI is. the only orter honda dealer is about 150 miles away. I try to do most work my self if i can but there is a yamaha shop that will work on anything..Thay always have me sing a work papper and when something happens thay always call and let me know first befor ortering any thay that was not on the work order

Daniel "Harley" Cash
Murphy,NC
Christian Motorcyclists Assocaiation

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Honda Goldwing SEI

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 178 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 09:13 PM

Post imported post

I live on the state line of NC, Ga and TN. Our only Honda Dealer Will not work on GL over 10years thay didn't even know what a SEI is. the only orter honda dealer is about 150 miles away. I try to do most work my self if i can but there is a yamaha shop that will work on anything..Thay always have me sing a work papper and when something happens thay always call and let me know first befor ortering any thay that was not on the work order

Daniel "Harley" Cash
Murphy,NC

Honda Goldwing SEI

post #113 of 178 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 09:13 PM

Post imported post

Daniel "Harley" Cash
Murphy,NC

Honda Goldwing SEI

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #114 of 178 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 09:13 PM

Post imported post

Daniel "Harley" Cash
Murphy,NC

Honda Goldwing SEI

post #115 of 178 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 12:47 PM
Old Broad

Year: 1995
Make: Yamaha Virago
Model: 1985 GL1200 I w/LTD body(SOLD :( )
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to fysty-1
Post imported post

Harley wrote:
Quote:
Harley, In the future, please only ckick the send button once, Sometines it seems to take forever but once you have clicked the button, it has been sent. Thanks Angela aka fysty-1: action:

Angela, aka fysty-1(R) & Dani(L), S.Surrey, B.C.
1985 Gold Wing GL1200 I(SOLD Apr/2012)
No matter how blue it may get, there is always a rainbow in the sky.
Blue is not the fastest color, but it is the prettiest.

(women only)
post #116 of 178 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 06:00 PM

Post imported post

Part of the logic behind dealerships not worknig on bikes > 10yo old (unless you bought it fom them) is to:

1. encourage you to buy vehicles from them to begin with

2. simple jobs like brake pad change could turn into a comp[lete caliper/brake system rebuild due to frozen pistons or some other reason. now instread of the $130 they quoted the customer, they're having to charge $435 - if they can get the paerts they need to do it.

It's more trouble than it's worth to dealerships; thankfully, there are plewnty of decent indies out there who never turn away a bike.

Now, as for h-Ds, my local dealer will work on any year regardless of where you bought it.

Greg

Greg in SE Virginia
1989 GL1500 with Voyager Trike kit
2000 Harley Ultra Classic
post #117 of 178 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 08:51 PM
Vintage Rider

Model: none at present
Post imported post

First of all, I did not read the entire THREAD, but read enough of it to pretty much see what it was about, then made a post on it. I am NOT a professional mechanic, and I have rebuilt several car engines and automatic transmissions. I won't say a child could do it, but it is not that difficult. It IS time consuming if you do it right, and double check everything. I'm talking about 30+ year old engines and transmissions. I wouldn't touch the new stuff. Fysty-1 is correct, I am old school, and not about to change. I love the old stuff. Not just because it is easy for me to work on, But I have a philosophical issue with mixing electronics and mechanics. To me, it just isn't right. I would like to do exactly the opposite of what Fysty-1 was talking about. I would like to take the body of a new Mustang, Challenger, Camaro, or a few other models I can think of, and rip out all the electronics, fuel injection, computers, and put an old style carbureted engine in them.

The newest car I have ever owned was a '77 Camaro, I have 2 cars now, a '64 Fairlane, and a '72 Pinto Squire station wagon.

I know several mechanics that can and do build engines and transmissions, but they do not work at dealers, they work for local speed shops. They can build you anything from a stock engine to a 1000+ hp race engine.

I have owned several Kawasakis, and the local Kawasaki dealer service department will not rebuild an engine. If it reaches that point, they remove it, and ship it back to Kawasaki. I don't know about Honda dealers, but I doubt they would either.

That 70% rule sounds a lot like what the insurance companies use to decide whether a vehicle is totaled or not.

I do all my own work on my own vehicles, the cars I can keep running literally forever, the bikes, well most of them are simply not designed for that, and while it could be done if you could find the parts, would cost a fortune, unlike the old cars.

My son in law spent $30,000 to go to UTI (Universal Technical Institute), and is now working for a local Ford dealer doing oil changes and other basic maintenance. He is ASE certified in several things, But he cannot rebuild an engine. My guess is newer car engines are like Japanese motorcycle engines, and were not designed to be rebuilt.

A guy named Edward Demming is the father of the disposable car, and probably where the Japanese got their designs for disposable motorcycles. His ideas definitely improved quality and manufacturing efficiency, but at the cost of the vehicles costing more to rebuild than they were worth. He virtually ended the era of classic cars and bikes. The much heralded '69 Honda CB750 four was considered a technological masterpiece for it's time. Today it is often considered a classic. But nobody sells new parts for it. I can easily get parts for vintage cars, all the way back to the Model T.

Back to the original title of the thread, I suspect a lot of the reason why Japanese dealers won't work on anything more than 10 years old is twofold. One is that they can't get parts. The other is that the technology changes so often they can't keep up with it. They have to be constantly retrained to work on the new stuff, and the old stuff gets forgotten about.

I am dedicated to keeping the old stuff going, with cars that is easy, with motorcycles you need either a Harley or an old British bike. Seems there will always be parts available for those, and for those who can't do their own work, there are mechanics who specialize in these bikes.

Sorry for such a long post, I just ran into some major problems with my LTD, major because the parts are no longer available. I finally located some used ones, and hope they are good. But this has made me stop and think about what owning this bike will be like. Will it spend half it's time broken down because parts are no longer available, and most of the other half being worked on?

And lastly, I did not mean any offense to anyone out there. This forum has been an invaluable source of information ever since I bought this bike, and out of 4 GW forums I belong to, this one is where I spend most of my time. Jerry.

"New vehicles move the body. Old vehicles move the soul. Vintage forever"
"Obsolete does not mean it is not any good, it just means it is not made anymore"
"The simpler the better"
Save the environment. STOP the developers.
PGR member since 2007
post #118 of 178 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 07:58 AM

Post imported post

JerryH
no time this am but going to shoot a pm your way later on.
Have a good rest of the week.Enjoyed reading the post

We are all blessed every day....Just take time to connect the dots.
Support your local VFD,your life may depend on it.
(343)
Vets past,present and future.....THANK YOU !
PGR Member
The Only Stupid Question Is The One You Did Not Ask.

Tony
post #119 of 178 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 10:02 PM

Garage
Post imported post

I read lot's of post's on here and other goldwing boards. They seem to have the same theme. Guy takes his s#itty running bike into a mechanic for a tune up sync. Gets all bent out of shape that the mechanic charged him $600 dollars. Then is irate because his wing does not run right and blames it on the stupid mechanic who ripped him off.
I don't blame any mechanic or dealer for not wanting to work on old wing's. I bought my 1100 from a shop that had it in for repair and the guy bailed on it. I got it for 300 and i'm shure the shop took a loss on it.
Most wings are antiques and they are expensive to repair
wilf

79 gl1000 dresser
80 gl1100I now naked
90 1500 full dress
post #120 of 178 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 07:26 PM

Model: 2002 GW 1800
Send a message via Yahoo to Goodolboy1
Post imported post

Wow....
After reading some of the posts here, I'm now wondering if I made one huge mistake by purchasing this older 1984 Aspencade.

Roger
2002 GoldWing 1800

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page