Why will some dealers not work on Hondas over 10yrs old? - Page 13 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 178 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 05:43 AM

Post imported post

Had a buddy try and get some minor work done on his Honda Ace and the dealer he took it to gave him the same BS about being old - over 10 years.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW ......... what a ride !"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 178 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 08:44 AM

Post imported post

You can add East Bay Motor Sports of Hayward, Ca to the list of dealers that won't work on a decade old bike.

Carl
post #123 of 178 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 12:17 PM

Post imported post

Goodolboy1 wrote:
Quote:
Wow....
After reading some of the posts here, I'm now wondering if I made one huge mistake by purchasing this older 1984 Aspencade.
I think you might of been a bit hasty in buying such a new bike....nowthe GL1000, that's a Wing worth owning...LOL

Why would anyone take anything, not under a warrenty,to a dealership for repairs?...I must be missing something...or in the wrong pay-grade..

I wanted a HD and was saving for it (something my friends knew) when one friend with a Wing barely two years old was divorcing and needed money fast and talked me into buying his Wing cheap...I figured I'd run the wheels off of it and then go buy my chromed up Harley...

'

That was thirty years ago...

I still figure to run the wheels off of it and then go buy my chromed up Harley...

I have lived in six states since then and I never had a problem finding mechanics to work on my Wing.

I did visit a Honda dealership once several years ago....the floor-room had more space dedicated to leather and riding apparel than for motorcycles...maybe if I everneed new gloves, I'll go back...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 178 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 01:39 PM
Official "Cheeky Plonker"

Year: 1980-81-82-83
Make: Honda
Model: GL1100STDASPENSTATE
Post imported post

+1

For what it's worth and if I may be so bold? The current rebuild of the `80, `81, `82 & `83 GL1100STDASPENSTATE can be followed on classicgoldwings.com in a thread called "The plan is to turn 140,000 into 50,000."

post #125 of 178 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 09:12 PM
Missourimike

Model: Several GL1000s
Post imported post

JerryH mentioned Dr.Deming, the Father of Quality Control and Continuous Improvement. I am familiar with the man, having attended some of his lectures and know the history of his work. In Japan, he is revered and each year the Best of the Best in Japanese Industry receive The Deming Award.
It was Quality and Improvement that allowed Japanese products to outpace and outsell American products, not cheap labor costs, as many thought and used as an excuse.
Thirty years ago I worked for one of the Top 10 most admired companies in America. They would not make or sell a second rate product. They, along with many other American companies turned to Dr.Deming and Japan for help in improving their processes and products. America made Junk, for the most part, back then. All our auto manufacturers were of the mindset that THEIR cars were disposable and that Americans only wanted NEW and would buy whatever they put out. I got to detesting GM cars and like a dummy, I keep buying in the hopes that some day they would improve.
Maybe, only today, American Cars are starting to catch up.
I could go on for hours on this subject, but look back and see with an unbiased mindset why Japan has prevailed.

Missourimike
post #126 of 178 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 02:25 PM

Model: GL1100
I guess they want to sell new bikes instead of maintaining the old ones. No reason to buy a new wing though since they practically last forever.
post #127 of 178 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 04:39 PM

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
My local Honda Dealers services and works on mine without any questions asked. I have a 95 and have had several things doen to it over the past few years.

Don (Parman)

"Sappers Lead the Way"
US Army (Retired)
101st Airborne Division (Ft Campbell KY)
1st Calvary Division (Ft Hood TX)
2nd Inf Division (Korea)
54th Engineer Bn (Germany)
Member of Patriot Guard Riders IL/WI

Honorary Wild Rhino

Honorary Newfie!! I have kissed the Cod (trout)downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw", so I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.

95 1500 SE
Mileage: 103472

2010 GL1800
Mileage: 3604
post #128 of 178 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 11:02 AM

Many interesting opinions on this thread. Mostly just that, opinions.

Many dealers adopted the 10 year rule 20 or 25 years ago when something over 10 years old was really a quivering pile of parts.

If you could have seen what most 10 or 15 year old bikes looked like back in 1983, you'd understand.

Now though, the bikes (mostly Hondas) are designed to last longer with less service. And come apart and go together easier.

I was lucky many, many years ago to work in a Hon/Suz/Kaw/Duc shop for a great Service Manager. He didn't have an iron clad rule about not working on old bikes. We worked on almost anything.

But, when he went out to look at someones pride and joy, the estimate would be a little higher for an old, rusty looking bike that wintered outside, chained to a tree. If the bike staggered under 200 lbs of add-ons that had to be removed or worked around for normal service, well...you know.

The worst was someone coming in with a 20 year old wing with 30 additional lights on it, and all the extra wiring was one color. Whatever was on sale at the local NAPA when a roll of wire was needed. And crappy crimps on the terminals that are stacked 20 deep on a longer battery hot post bolt!

It would have been easier to have a 10 year rule, but several of us had older bikes and didn't mind working on the older ones. He let the nicer examples through the door, even though it took a little longer to do individual assessments.

This was back in Ohio in an earlier life, and Ohio has a law that says the job quoted can't go over 10% of the quote without an O.K. from the owner. We would stop and get an O.K. on anything that would push the total up at all. Little stuff just got fixed and glossed over. We were flat rate techs with no time for frivolous phone calls. It had o be important for us to stop and call.

Well, my Ibuprofen and Aleve cocktail has kicked in. I gotta go fix the wifey's washing machine so I can put the new fuel pump in my '95 GL1500. Then I can get it off the rack and get ready to change out an engine on one of my Ducatis. Gonna be a busy week.
jgznc likes this.
post #129 of 178 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 08:45 AM

Year: 1991
Make: GOLDWING
Model: GL 1500 se .
Garage
Wingman sorry for you lost!!!
post #130 of 178 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 11:03 PM
Vintage Rider

Model: none at present
Quality control is great, continued improvement is not always such a good thing. It makes thing obsolete to fast. I own a 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 that was first designed in 1985. My '02 is EXACTLY like the '85 model, other than paint colors. This model was made through '06, with NO changes other than paint. Parts that fit an '06 also fit an '85. I have owned two of these bikes, both bought new. A '93 and an '02. The '93 was sold with over 80,000 miles on it when I decided I wanted something else. The something else didn't work out, and I went back and bought another new Vulcan 750 without even considering anything else. It now has over 77,000 miles on it. I intend to wear this one out, if I last long enough.

Continuous improvement to me is just another term for planned obsolescence. It means the constant need to redesign something that was working fine to begin, and results in totally out of control parts proliferation.

I can understand why a dealer will not work on a really old bike, they go by the book on labor, and when they tear into an old bike, there is no telling what they might find. It might cost way more to fix than their original estimate, and possibly more than the bike is worth. The customer might just walk away leaving them with an old bike that is worthless to them.

BUT. Parts are another matter. I think parts should be available for a VERY long time. Lack of parts is why I do not own a vintage Japanese bike (other than my '85 Goldwing, which most parts are no longer available for new) It's why I am concerned about investing even $5000-$7000 in a 1500. No matter how nice it looks and runs, it is still going to need parts, and I am afraid those parts are not going to be there. One neat thing about owning an '85 Vulcan 750 is that ALL the parts are still available, and will be until at least 2016, 10 years after the '06 model was sold.

I know this is a sore subject here, but there is a certain American motorcycle brand that you can get parts for no matter how old it is. That makes it possible to keep it going forever. True, these parts are not made by the manufacturer, they are made and sold by the aftermarket. But, the manufacturers continued use of nearly the same technology for decades is what makes it profitable for the aftermarket to continue producing these parts. There is a market for them. There is almost no aftermarket for parts for most older Japanese bikes, partly because they are constantly changing things. In most cases things that worked fine to begin with, and didn't need changing. Many people continue to own and ride the older Goldwings and find ways to keep them going, because they like them. I'm one of those. And I would still buy parts for them from Honda if they still made them.

"New vehicles move the body. Old vehicles move the soul. Vintage forever"
"Obsolete does not mean it is not any good, it just means it is not made anymore"
"The simpler the better"
Save the environment. STOP the developers.
PGR member since 2007

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page