Why will some dealers not work on Hondas over 10yrs old? - Page 18 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #171 of 178 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 12:07 AM

Year: 2005 w/ 2016 trike Kit
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800A / Roadsmith HTS
Garage
Yeah, so now I am going to trace all the wiring to it and make sure there are no shorts or disconnects. I noted this time it came on when I hit a good bump on the highway and it jarred the front end. I am also going to check the kickstand connection (even though I have no kick or center stand) the wiring to harness needs to be intact or it will set it off also I believe. Hoping its not the ECM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 178 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 01:05 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
DaveO430 replaced the ECM on my '02 and the problem disappeared forever.

oh, the MPG will improve quite a bit once the problem gets fixed.

I gained something like around 7 to 10 mpg.

NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ John
post #173 of 178 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 07:53 AM

Garage
Yeah now that you mention that I noticed 70 miles and 3/8th of a tank seems excessive even for a trike on the highway. It will probably be the ECM but dang they are big $$$.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #174 of 178 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 08:17 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoirierfsm View Post
Yeah now that you mention that I noticed 70 miles and 3/8th of a tank seems excessive even for a trike on the highway. It will probably be the ECM but dang they are big $$$.
keep in mind, that if you push the tach beyond about 2800-3000 rpm, fuel mileage is going to fall thru the bottom of the bucket. especially on a trike because you are pushing a lot of air...

with my prior Tulsa Tall windscreen, about 33 mpg was the best it would do at 60-65.
if pulling the trailer it fell to 30 and below real quick when the tach gets over 3000
mpoirierfsm and MalcolmX like this.

NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

~ John
post #175 of 178 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 10:03 AM

Garage
So after the dealer had the bike for 5 weeks and could not duplicate the FI light i picked it up last Saturday 29th. I didn't get 10 miles from the dealer and the FI light came back on. Drove it home another 45 miles and it started to stall every time I slowed down. Had to feather the throttle to avoid this. Oh and when I picked up the bike the service guy (not the one I had been dealing with) says how come you got just an oil change and didn't want the full 25k service? WHAT Austin said that was all that was due at 25k. NOT!!!

Called a different dealer on Monday and he let me talk to his top tech, (its 90 min away but will be going there from now on) ran through the whole story he immediately said ECM. Spoke to parts on back order til???

Long story short found new one online for $240 less than dealer wanted and did it and air filter myself this past Friday, bike runs great. Hope that is all the big $$$$ for a while.
AZgl1800 likes this.

Michael "Minister Mike" Poirier
Missionary/Church Builder
Director - Faithful Steward Ministries

1SG, US Army Ret.
13Z5M Field Artillery 1975-1994
Life Member - Disabled American Veterans
Member - Veterans of the Viet Nam War/Veterans Coalition
Member The Retired Enlisted Association

2005 GL1800 RoadSmith Trike
Member CMA
Run for the Wall FNG 2016
post #176 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 08:05 PM

Year: 1994
Model: GL 1500 Interstate
Dealerships are not the Government

I know this is an old thread.... But..... I just had a horrific dealership experience. Last year. Won't go into details, but a service tech sabotaged my bike! Weird, huh? But they went out of business soon after. Willy World in Joliet, IL.
Here was the basis of my beef: I wasn't bringing in an old cycle for diagnostics, because I had a "problem". It was routine maintenance. I could do it, but did not have the time. Had the money, no time. I wasn't asking for much. Forks and fluids. I sourced the fork parts 2 weeks before, and delivered them.
I do all routine maintenance on many 20/15/10 yo cycles I own. Fluids, pads, chains, sprockets, bs...... Sometimes I am flush, but don't have a garage/area/tools. They took 3 weeks to turn around my cycle.
I would never take my cycle to a dealership if I had weird/diagnostic problems. Unless it was a new bike.

I am ok with The Dealership Stance. Think it is shortsighted, as GoldWing is the flagship. All GoldWings should be serviced. It is the Honda Way! With communication and agreements.

Have experience with Indy shops, when I was a newbie. Left off/did not tighten steering head bolts! But, you can't beat, cheap! I was fine with work/price, and managed my terror.

Just like a lot of American history- find a good shop, give them all your business, and talk, talk, talk. The Free Market is a beautiful thing.

AzGl1800 has 52 THOUSAND posts!
post #177 of 178 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 04:44 PM

Year: 1975
Make: GL1000
Garage
Here Here! I also try to fix it myself.... 99% with the help of this site. Thank you.
AZgl1800 likes this.

Mount up Boys, Lets Ride!
post #178 of 178 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 07:11 AM

Year: 1988
Model: GL1500
I guess some dealers don't want to worry about sourcing parts for old bike, or maybe it is worrying about breaking loose frozen bolts and such. Could be plastic gets brittle over time and they worry about breaking body work.

I had a similar situation to Malcolm where I had the money and not the time/interest in doing several routine mx items. Took my 88 GL to an independent shop. Never asked for carb work, but the guy "rebuilt" the carbs. He did such a lousy job, the bike is barely rideable. And he failed to do other items I wanted. 8 months later and I STILL get angry just thinking about it.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page