Why will some dealers not work on Hondas over 10yrs old? - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 09:16 PM

Post imported post

I have always gone to a private mechanic here in town. He works on any Goldwing, only. Doesn't matter what year as long as it is a Goldwing. Strictly Wings, very competitive prices as well.

Spider Bob

GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY, GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps, it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

Patriot Guard Rider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 07:14 AM

Post imported post

it is interesting because the brand we all love to bash wants owners to know where their dealers are, will go out of their way to service people on trips.... it is a company mind-set.... hd riders are loyal because hd is loyal to their customers
post #13 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 06:54 AM

Post imported post

Harley is open on Monday too!! And even some are open on Sunday. None of this sitting from Saturday afternoon in a strange town with a bad alternator and having to wait till Tuesday morning at 10.00 a.m just to be told ........well we used to have one of those things, we can order you one...........be here next week........

Kit

The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 08:56 PM

Model: 1983 GL1100 & 1977 GL1000
Post imported post

Performance Suzuki/Triumph in Oklahoma City has been real good so far in getting parts for my wife's 27 year old bike, get this "They had the parts in stock". Wing Enterprises in OKC is also good with the older wings. I can't say I'm real pleased with either of the Honda places as far as service goes, next bike just may be a Suzuki or Triumph.

Jeff

Jeff

USN Ret 1985 2005

Wild Rhinos
Oklahoma Chapter

Present Bikes in the stable
2007 KLR650
1983 GL1100 Full Dress
1977 GL1000 Nekkid

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 01:48 PM

Model: 1990 GL1500
Post imported post

Having been on both sides of the fence, I can see it from either way. In many cases lack of knowledge is the most likely reason. Although I have reason to believe that milking the ignorant customer is fair game to many dealers. My sister in law left her ancient relic in for brake work and an oil change. They quoted her $1100 as it is after all 25 years old and then there are parts to be imported etc. I told her that that she was being fleeced.

I replaced all the parts she needed, slave cylinder, 2 discs, two sets of pads some hoses and various fluids and an oil change. $190, it did take a few days to source the parts, but remember I don't have the same access to the jobbers or trade prices or have a lift to raise the vehicle or the overhead mind you.

One of the biggest hassles when working on older vehicles is that things break, the studs shear when replacing a muffler or a clamp has rusted through, carb work is hampered by the rubber manifolds which have hardened over years of use and become brittle and don't seal and have to be replaced. All these take time, experience and care. Most mechanics in this day and age are used to just replacing parts. They hook up their diagnostic tools and replace what the computer recommends. It's quick, turns a fast buck and they are on to the next job and the customer is happy or feels stung. This equipment doesn't come cheap at 7 grand or more plus software and training. Sadly many of todays mechanics haven't been trained to look for the obvious or real hands on mechanics. Often perfectly good parts are discarded before finding what the actual fault was, maybe a loose or perished hose, blown fuse etc.

The dealer knows certain things wont wash with us, they want cash up front when you order parts and want a premium to work on your machine. Some owners are willing to let certain things slide, like using a hose clamp rather than the original Honda item, but when a dealer gets his hands on it, especially a HONDA dealer they have certain ethics to adhere to, ie using genuine Honda parts, time is alloted to each and every service, so many hours and minutes for each job. Then there is a storage fee while waiting for parts and then of course they come express so add DHL + phone calls and now you have shop supplies. It all adds up and it all comes out of your pocket.

Thank goodness I can do it myself.....!

<-----------Zoe and Duff

Doing nothing is very hard to do ... you never know when you\'re finished. - Leslie Nielsen RIP

Metallic Blue Green is the new Black!
post #16 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 06:43 PM

Model: '84 Aspencade
Post imported post

Local dealer here in PCB is one of those "less than 10 years only" shops. Once he told me that his labor is $100/hour, I was glad that he wouldn't take my bike into the shop. Now, he's more than happy to sell me parts at his "stealer markup". Fortunately, I found the local Kawasaki dealer has a Goldwing mechanic and they have been more than kind and gracious to me. In otherwords, I wouldn't buy an empty 5 gallon bucket from the local Honda Dealer. What I cannot do myself, or what I screw up trying to do myself will go to the Kawasaki Dealer here in PCB.

Mark
1984 GL 1200 Aspencade

To live you must be willing to die - Amir Vahedi

My father gets smarter everyday that he's gone.

I worried that I had no shoes until I saw a man that had no feet.
post #17 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 08:28 PM

Post imported post

some dealers are motorcclists, who are lucky enough to have a shop

many are the "ideal" american businessman..... asking what this quarters profits are

one question, should I treat my patients like honda dealers treat their customers?
post #18 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 05:19 PM

Post imported post

Hey dudes, don't try riding your eleven year old Harley into the Harley shop expecting them to service it either. Once that puppy has it's tenth birthday party it is off to the Indy shop for service. At first I had a bad case of the hip, but got over it. The way they explained it to me was that it was hard enough for them to carry parts for ten different years, let alone carry parts for bikes over ten years old. I even mentioned the fact that given the fact that Harley parts cost twice what the parts for other bikes cost, they should be able to do it. That didn't set too well with the service mgr, so he just gave me the address of the local Indy shop. When I went to the Indy I asked him where he bought his Harley parts at. He said at the local Harley shop, where else?
The good thing about this was the fact that the Indy only charged $48.00 per hour and the Harley shop charged $88.00 for the same 60 minutes.
post #19 of 178 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 04:17 PM

Post imported post

Motorcycles are like high maintance women only the motorcycles are more fun.

What use to be right is now wrong and what use to be wrong is now right.
post #20 of 178 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 06:15 PM

Post imported post

They should'nt jack up there prices on parts! example: in South St Paul MN a lousy Selinoid is 75 bucks at Honda, you can go to Sportswheels in Jordan MN get the same deal for 40-45 new, Honda 6 and change for case bolts? what! they are 1 dollar parts!!

I hope we get someone here who has a real love for the Machines, and integrity but values the old has well has the new!

I think Honda has become just another cold enterprise, I wish I could afford that Big Kawasaki that looks like the Indian!

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page