Why will some dealers not work on Hondas over 10yrs old? - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 178 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 06:17 PM

Post imported post

Hey Honda take a cue from Denny Hecker they got the same way, now He's running around depressed etc. lost his ass!
remeber the customer, not the profit margin comes first, can't wait to see if GMC is gonna fall! Big business what jerk's!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 178 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Passed On, R.I.P.

Post imported post

I think the markup is completely up to the individual shop. I'm also aware that it costs money to have a local "brick and mortar" business that can answer my (possibly stupid) questions, so....

I don't object when things are slightly more, at my local shop, than I can get them by mail order from the "biggies" here, like Hondaline Direct or Bike Bandit.

By that, I mean 15-20%, not 50%

I've bought competitively priced tires, filters and other basics from my "local" and been happy. But I don't like any business that has too much "attitude", unless that attitude is "whenever possible, make the customer happy".

Motorcycle Pete
-----------------------------------
Motorcycle Pete Bateman is no longer with us. He passed away at home in July 2010. Always popular, Pete is missed by all of us.
-----------------------------------
post #23 of 178 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 11:34 AM

Post imported post

I just bought an 82 GL1100 from my local Honda Dealer, he also deals Suzuki and Harley. When I purchased it I was told they had just done a full service to the bike before storing it away last fall. When I got it home the stereo didn't work, the driving lights didn't work, the cigarette lighter didn't work. I sat down and tried to figure out what was wrong and found a couple of cut wires and a few more blown fuses, took all of a day of playing to find the issues. I went back in to see how much to change the timing belts, I was told over $800. It seems that the these guys aren't interested in working on the bike and if a complete service leaves wires cut and fuses blown I think I will change my oil this weekend in the driveway, and spend a little more time on this site to figure out how to change my own belts... wish me luck I may be trucking the bike to another shop about 75 miles away before the weekend is out.

Sak.

Keep it Shiny side up and fur free!
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 178 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 07:03 PM

Post imported post

Hi Sakryn,

You can change your timing belts no problem. Get yourself a set of NAPA 250274 belts thenstudy and follow the instructions in this link.

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum9/17422.html

I did mine on a Saturday afternoon for about $30.

post #25 of 178 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 05:58 AM

Post imported post

Many times it is not any different with a new bike. You will take it in for something , for example lets just say the engine is surging and wanting to die at the stops.

It is the pin plug to the air control on the fuel delivery system. (IAVC) So while in there to plug this in, they pull and tug and create more problems than they solve. Leave wire bundle clips undone and pry and tug at some connector because they do not know how to get it undone, and put pliers on it and crack the connector. Then they just leave it that way. (I just fixed a bike like that, used some tie wraps to hold the connectors together)

Normal with the type of service at most shops ..........and the reason most of us with experience will only go to a shop as a very last resort or for some major something we want fixed under warranty.

Even at that, when you get the bike back, it is time to go over it carefully and re-route all the wires and make sure all the wiring harness is free, not crimped and all that kind of thing.

I do not find what you experienced unusual, I would have been very surprised it it had been any other way.

There is only one thing you can count on as a sure fact at most dealers, and I say most not all, they will look you right in the eyes and lie to you. Count on it.

The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
post #26 of 178 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 03:35 PM

Post imported post

Unfortunately, greed is the reason for owning the dealership, service managers on commission, and high school age mechanics working for 13% of the charged rate, and you get attitudes when you suggest. My 84 went to a local dealer in 92, hasn't been since, really unpleasant expensive experience. Bastards did work I didn't order, lawyer said no problem, BUT you will have to pay the bill to get bike back, or pay storage till we see judge in 6 or so months. Wonder if they were related.
I have a whole slew of metric tools now, and I'll fabricate parts to avoid the honda supp;y line. Glad there this place and people who know napa part numbers.

Come to think of it, same applies to the local ford dealer. Not to mention my last 2 jobs are now in mexico

84 interstate, would love a newer 1500
post #27 of 178 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 10:31 PM

Post imported post

well honda really screwed up when they made the WING.they just last too DAMN long.used to be BMW boxers had the rep for longevity.that now belongs to the goldwing.i agree with smokepole.$9/hour mechanics who they charge $80 an hour for.they dont have the tech knowledge to do anything but change fluids.so they tell you itll be $900 so you go somewhere else.the real reason is they dont have a tech who has the competent knowledge to do youre repair.

3 bikes.1 car.hope to sell the car soon and buy another bike.
post #28 of 178 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 09:53 PM

Post imported post

Nightrider1 wrote:
Quote:
Sir,
I believe that if you own a Honda, and a Local Honda shop that Sells and Services Honda's should work on bikes that are over 10 years old. They could do belts, tune ups, tires, Sync carbs, and all Kinds of stuff.
The dealer in Gadsden, Al. will not touch a Honda over 10 years old. I'll never buy a new Honda from him. Early last year, I went to a DIFFERENT dealer and bought my son a demo model that had only 40 miles on it! And I promise you, it wasn't a Honda.

Nightrider1 Aka David
Please allow me to tell you from personal experience. Dealers do not have techs that are experienced on older bikes. If a computer cannot tell them the problem and they actually have to use their brain then it is all over but the damage they cause getting your older wing apart. Southern Power Sports in Chattanooga taught me this lesson the hard way not to mention having the bike for 1 1/2 months.

When it\'s over your head it\'s under GOD\'S feet.
post #29 of 178 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 03:24 PM

Post imported post

Dealers don't have techs that are experienced on old bikes, because they are often too CHEAP to pay them enough to keep them from moving on.

Temecula CA. had a tech such as this. He moved on to Powersports Superstore around the corner. Before he moved on, the Temecula dealer was one of those 10 year limit dealers. They would sell me parts, but wouldn't sync the carbs even if I paid up front! The very next week after Pete moved, I started sending him all 5 of my Hondas, including my new one. Temecula Motorsports' loss.

There is a dealer in Aurora Colorado that will also service old bikes. The parts man spent almost 30 minutes on the phone with me searching for a gas cap in the system for the 1100. We are away from home.

None of my bikes are POS'. You would think a dealer that has 10 pages of parts business on file mostly for the bike you want serviced would make an acception.

Don\'t spook the road sheep.
post #30 of 178 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 01:29 PM
Slow Learner

Model: 93 Aspy
Garage
Post imported post

Local Honda dealer in Jackson Michigan is famous for treating people like dirt. And has been for years. About a year ago I went in there just to look at a new Wing, certainly not to buy one. They had 3 of them for about $22,000 a piece. Then the economy went all to pieces. I went in there a month ago because they suddenly have the best price around on a new rear tire. Which they installed in a hurry, at a good price. And the 3 new Wings are still sitting there for sale. Now down to $18,000. Can't sell them because nobody in MI has any money. And now the Service Department is fast, efficient, and reasonably priced. Ain't that sumthin'!!!??? Oh yeah, and the Snake-Oil salesman that tried to rope me in last year on the overpriced new machines is long gone.

ONCE A RHINO ALWAYS A RHINO

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page