Why will some dealers not work on Hondas over 10yrs old? - Page 4 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 178 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 07:16 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Rider15
Post imported post

Just reading the thread about the dealers....I have a mechanic done the street, advetises they work on all bikes. Walked in to ask a question and was told they do not work on 30 year old wings. Guess he does NOT work on ALL bikes. I have a found a mechanic I like. He has enough business that he is willing to tell me things to do and I can do them myself. He does not tell me to bring the bike in and he will lookk into it.

Only bike I really wanted to ever own is GOLD.

There are only two types of Goldwings
Rolled Gold - Pretzels
Old Gold - Polish

Patriot Guard Rider - Let\'s Show Them The Respect They Deserve.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 178 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 09:02 PM

Year: 1997 SE
Post imported post

post #33 of 178 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 08:05 AM
FM

Model: 91-I
Garage
Post imported post

With reference to dealers not working on 10+ older bikes.

If a bike owner needs brakes or suspension work done and the dealers 10+ year rule applies, is the bike owner forced to attempt the repair oneself even though said owner knows nothing about the correct fix?
Are dealers forcing owners to ride unsafe machines on the roads?

If (any) said bolt breaks due to age, isn't that a "clue" to the manufacture to fix said problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 178 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 05:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to jpooch00 Send a message via MSN to jpooch00
Post imported post

texaswiz wrote:
Quote:
Hey dudes, don't try riding your eleven year old Harley into the Harley shop expecting them to service it either. Once that puppy has it's tenth birthday party it is off to the Indy shop for service. At first I had a bad case of the hip, but got over it. The way they explained it to me was that it was hard enough for them to carry parts for ten different years, let alone carry parts for bikes over ten years old. I even mentioned the fact that given the fact that Harley parts cost twice what the parts for other bikes cost, they should be able to do it. That didn't set too well with the service mgr, so he just gave me the address of the local Indy shop. When I went to the Indy I asked him where he bought his Harley parts at. He said at the local Harley shop, where else?
The good thing about this was the fact that the Indy only charged $48.00 per hour and the Harley shop charged $88.00 for the same 60 minutes.
This is not universally true. High Country H-D in the Denver area will work on any EVO bike as long as it isn't totally trashed. These guys even carry a lot of the parts for the shovel-motor bikes, which are pre-'85. It just depends on the dealership.
post #35 of 178 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 04:31 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Bagzzz
Post imported post

tomusa wrote:
Quote:
Motorcycles are like high maintance women only the motorcycles are more fun.
Sounds like you should trade in your woman.

Either that or I should trade in my bike.

People who take care of their stuff always have more stuff.

THE PROPER FACEMASK WILL KEEP YOUR TOES WARM.
PSOLAR
post #36 of 178 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 11:14 PM

Post imported post

It's fairly simple. It's tough for a dealership to convince customers that the old girl takes alot longer to repair or diagnose because seized fasteners, aftermarket add ons, sad assed "extra wiring" and generally beatup machines cost time and extra effort. These factory trained guys don't work for free, trust me.

Parts are not as accessible, nor are they cheap. Rather than slap the poor customer with a $100 hr service bill, we send them down to the independent, who will attempt the repair at a less expensive hourly rate, while buying the parts thru us. Our guys do all they can to get the flat rate jobs done on the newer machines at what the manufacturer wants to pay.

Customer gets away cheaper, the indy gets the work and we sell the parts.

That's business, folks. Happy all the way around.

Life ! Grab it by the ears and give it a big, wet, sloppy kiss right on the mouth !
PW
post #37 of 178 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 07:16 AM

Post imported post

A Man after me own Black Heart, Argggggh!! lol

And the funny part livin in MN, this God forsaken state weather wise, I get ta laugh at all the Vike fan's all Year every year they just don't get it, (there loser's forever) and just when they get close what do they always do-lose! I feel sad for them.
post #38 of 178 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 07:23 AM

Post imported post

Why the Heck do people want to buy a bike and get treated like crap just because of the name, if I had big cash like say Jesse James, I'd stack a pile of Harley's and Wing's on National TV and just blow em up!just ta prove a point! no machine if flawless, however, we can learn to work on our own bike's and stop being White collor punks that hate to get there nice lil girly hand's dirty!

Those are the idiots that also help keep shop prices high the clowns with big checkbook's and no apptitude for hard work!
post #39 of 178 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 03:00 PM

Post imported post

For those of you in or near Atlanta there is a shop that will service older hondas. No it is not a Honda shop only but they do sell alot of Wings and the service tech has about 30 yrs working on these older bikes.

When it\'s over your head it\'s under GOD\'S feet.
post #40 of 178 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 09:08 AM

Post imported post

Quote:
texaswiz wrote:I even mentioned the fact that given the fact that Harley parts cost twice what the parts for other bikes cost, they should be able to do it.

ever price a temp sensor for a 1000? all dealers charge incredibly high prices for parts

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page