Why will some dealers not work on Hondas over 10yrs old? - Page 8 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 178 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 04:35 PM
On a Wing & a KLR

Model: GL1500 SE
Post imported post

Right winger wrote:
Quote:
You know I really hate to admit this. But if I didn't do my own work on my wings I'd consider another machine and it wouldn't be a Honda. And if I should get lucky and can buy a new bike It SURE won't be a Honda. IT PROBABLY BE A HARLEY

So if you have a Harley you wouldn't do your own work??, or that you wouldn't need to work on it??

Owning a Harley is a guarantee that work will be required.

"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you crap your pants every now and then."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 178 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 02:36 AM

Garage
Post imported post

Right winger wrote:
Quote:
You know I really hate to admit this. But if I didn't do my own work on my wings I'd consider another machine and it wouldn't be a Honda. And if I should get lucky and can buy a new bike It SURE won't be a Honda. IT PROBABLY BE A HARLEY
I don't understand why you said this, but to each his own. If a Harley is over 10, they also do not work on them. If your HD is HIGHLY modified, you can forget them working on it if is over 5 years old.

I don\'t care what you ride, just ride.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them--Thomas Jefferson

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves...Abraham Lincoln.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Heathen Darksider # 771.
Falken 912 NRF @44psi.
post #73 of 178 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 05:58 AM

Garage
Post imported post

i agree the hd dealer in our area wont touch super custom bikes im sure you all are picky but omg ive never seen that type of overreaction from anyone but an hd owner

it dosent matter if its an hd or a custom chopper with a hd motor and tranny in it the only thing diffrent from my 1980 to my dads brand new hd's is that i can find all my parts relatively easy and cheap but at the end of the day it dosent matter as long as your happy with your ride

i am the current president of the non punctuators and bad spelling motorcycle group

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 178 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 08:08 PM

Model: .
Garage
Post imported post

peterbilt wrote:
Quote:
it dosent matter as long as your happy with your ride
post #75 of 178 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 08:35 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to skyking435
Post imported post

I'm told, since 1980, Goldwings are made in Ohio, the good old USA!

Ray

The only time I open my mouth is to change feet.

Previously owned:

1955 Harley KHK
1959 Harley 74 with suicide clutch, hand shift
Honda 160
BMW 900
1977 Honda 750
1978 Yamaha XS11
1989 Goldwing Aspencade
1998 Goldwing Aspencade
post #76 of 178 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 03:52 AM

Garage
Post imported post

Whether technically made in the USA or Japan, it will be my Motorcycle of choice.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them--Thomas Jefferson

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves...Abraham Lincoln.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Heathen Darksider # 771.
Falken 912 NRF @44psi.
post #77 of 178 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 06:10 PM

Post imported post

The reason most Harley dealers will work on any year is because they ain't changed much at all in all those years. Rather old technology it seems. Plus they get alot of practice.hahaha

"Please Tell Your Boobs To Quit Staring At My Eyes"
1983 GL1100I
post #78 of 178 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 11:00 AM

Model: '84 Aspencade
Post imported post

I, for one, am kind of glad that my local Stealer won't work on my '84 Aspy. When I first bought the bike and brought her back from N. Carolina, the first place I stopped was the local Honda Stealer. Just wanted him to check it out for me. He declined using the "more than 10 years old" excuse and quoting me $100/hour for labor.

Thanks to that I:

1) came home, searched the internet and found this forum

2) learned to work on my bike myself

Thanks! Honda Stealer!

Mark
1984 GL 1200 Aspencade

To live you must be willing to die - Amir Vahedi

My father gets smarter everyday that he's gone.

I worried that I had no shoes until I saw a man that had no feet.
post #79 of 178 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 03:17 AM

Garage
Post imported post

oldtoys1961 wrote:
Quote:
The reason most Harley dealers will work on any year is because they ain't changed much at all in all those years. Rather old technology it seems. Plus they get alot of practice.hahaha
Most Harley Dealers will NOT work on Harleys that are 10 years or older.

Heathen Darksider # 771.
Falken 912 NRF @44psi.
post #80 of 178 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 01:36 AM

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800A
Post imported post

I have to throw in my dealer story. Last year I needed tires for my '86. My friend the Honda mechanic at the local dealership had just retired and I had no faith in the guy that replaced him. Another friend recommended a dealership (Just for Fun Honda in Middlefield, OH)that was 40 miles away. I called them and told them I needed tires ordered and installed for my '86 GL1200I. They said no problem....they let me order the tires I wanted over the phone - after I gave them my credit card to pay for the tires. A week goes by and a nice lady calls to say the tires are in. I ask when can they put them on. She asks what year, etc and I tell her. She says they don't work on bikes that old. Now they didn't have any trouble running my credit card for the tires, but now that I paid for them, they won't put them on. They offered to mount them if I removed the wheels and brought them in, but they flat refused to install the tires on the bike. So I drove 40 miles each way to get my new tires and I had a very loud talk with the Service Manager, who was the guy that I originally spoke to over the phone and who ordered the tires for me. I then went over and apologized to the nice lady that was working the parts counter who I am sure that I was not very nice to over the phone, took my tires and left.

I called around and found the Service Manager at Sill's Honda in Cleveland, OH. He agreed to swap out the tires for me, and they did a very nice job. They even called me to tell me the rear pads needed replaced and there would be no labor charge because everything was already apart.

I explained the issue with the other dealership and he said that sometimes when working on the older bikes things break and then the owner gets pissed and it's a huge issue. I get that - I don't like it, but I get it.

I think it's just wrong to order parts for someone knowing full well that they want them installed, and then refuse to install them after they have paid for the parts. I truely couldn't care less if Just for Fun Honda was giving things away. I will never patronize that dealership again, ever.

So Kudos to Sill's.

I also agree with many of the posts above that the newer mechanics aren't the same as the old guys, the guys that work by the way it sounds, not what their computer says. That's what scared me away from the local dealership. The new guy had been a mechanic for about 10 minutes.

Anyway, I wish that the dealerships could still service their products well. I ended up selling the 1200 partly because I didn't want to deal with where to get her fixed. I figured that eventually she would break, right?

I have a few years before my 1800 gets to the magic "10". And I have a pretty good new Jap bike mechanic that does work on the side.

Thanks to all the guys on here that have guided me through the repairs that I have tackled myself.

Joe
Darksider #493

Former bikes:
\'80 CB750 Custom
\'86 GL1200 Interstate

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page