Why will some dealers not work on Hondas over 10yrs old? - Page 9 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 184 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 01:05 PM

Post imported post

When the dealers get hungry agian this will change meanwhile us dino retired dealer mechanics get lots of fishing, rideing, money from it because they wont and just plain ole friendly visits from a lot of folks

John3:16
The Road is long winding hilly flat hot cold sun stars AINT IT FUN!!!!
1st bike 125HD in 1969
250Honda Dream
750Honda
10 HD
89aspencade
1994 GL 1500 Trike
Past
-------------------
91HD Maybe Trike project

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 184 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 04:41 PM

Post imported post

Lightin wrote:
Quote:
When the dealers get hungry agian this will change meanwhile us dino retired dealer mechanics get lots of fishing, rideing, money from it because they wont and just plain ole friendly visits from a lot of folks
I like that, that is the way it should be, anyway... If you own a bike over 10 years old, chances are you don't have the cash for newer, or had you've hadbike for awhile, and should know it by now... Better to hang out with mechanic working on your bike to learn about it & get some companionship out of it also

The 3rd oldest Honda dealer in MN is 20 miles from me, they will work on any year Honda, I had them do my tires, honest prices... Austin, MN They will order OEM parts if I ask, but, seldom do I go that route... I like how some of the posts here are bashing HD's, but I am taking a break from that for now
post #83 of 184 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 04:47 AM

Post imported post

Throw my pennies worth in, try it with a trike! Booked mine in and nursed it into the dealer. The workshop manager flatly refused to work on it after a bit of horse dealing agreed to take it in to do my vital work, Charged me a fortune and I still took it away broke.
Happy days

Wind in my hair flies in my teeth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 184 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 11:06 PM

Send a message via MSN to goldwingman203
Post imported post

Fitting Tyre,s Goldwing,s Hi all it,s the same here in Australia they love to sell you the tyre,s an other gear but when it come,s to fitting tyre,s to any bike bike like a wing or HD criuser they will not fit them as it takes to long to to strip the bike and the margen in profeton tyres is not as much .

As for older bike,s any one here will work on any model or age of bike as long as you can pay for it .

Can any one tell me why are bike,s an part,s are so dear here in Australia i was looking at another 1200 wing on this forum he,s selling it for $2500 US that same bike would bring $12000 AUD why .

As for HD you need to own a bank to own one here we call them highly dangerous never riden one alll ways had honda,s .

bike owned

1st honda 90 sports

2nd 750 AGS

3RD 200 CC VELOCETTE

4TH 250 Kawaske 2stroke

5th 500 tripple kawasake

6th750 honda 4

7th 1000 wing side car.

8th 1100 wing bloody good bike

9th 1500 wing aspencade still have .LORD of the WINGS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg STA60025.JPG (120.9 KB, 228 views)

Hi ALL MEMBERS im amember of the UYLSSES club of Albury/Wodonga here down under i have had 3 wing,s now but this 1500 is my pride an joy it,s my jason recliner on wheels,with all the benifit,s radio cass criuse an so on they truly the best bike there is Harley,s are good for boat anker .stay safe every one .
post #85 of 184 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 06:57 PM

Post imported post

When I moved to the lower Hudson Valley, I took my '79 Wing in the local Honda dealership for servicing..

The mechanic went outside just to see what it looked like.

He told me my bike was older than the mechanics who worked there and parts would have to be looked up on micro-fish..

I found a factory trained Honda mechanic who opened his own shop years ago who was just over the NJ line and who rode an old Wing. I never looked back at the local dealership.

I do plan to buy a new Wing as soon as this one wears out...LOL...
post #86 of 184 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 11:14 PM
Banned

Post imported post

If your going to be riding old bikes you need to either be able to work on them or hire a private mechanic. If I owned a Honda Dealership you bet your boots I would work on anything with two wheels that was made by Honda. I might end up owning a lot of vintage bikes by default too! I,however rarely let my shadow grace their doorway.

post #87 of 184 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 12:35 PM

Post imported post

Try finding some one to do trans work...JD

2011 KLR650
1994 1500 Aspencade
Yeah it\'s a work in progress.....
post #88 of 184 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 08:18 PM

Model: 2004 GL1800
Post imported post

I've been wrenching on Wings for over 30 years now and have heard all of the stories I've read here and then some. I live in an area of Michigan where the dealers don't want anything to do with the older Wings either. That's OK because I LOVE 'EM and have no problem working on them. My customers are my friends! I treat them like I'd want to be treated. I treat their bikes like they were my own (some of them have been my own). They know if they bring their bike to me, it's going to get my undivided attention. I'll talk shop until I bore them sometimes,but when it's time to get my hands dirty, I don't like anyone in the shop to distract me and they all understand and respect that.
The dealers in my opinion don't really want techs that know how to fix things, because they're in the business of selling parts. With all of the commission and incentive programs that these techs. have today, and not having to talk with the customer face to face, a quality jobs is not high on their priority list. And I agree that most of them don't know the older bikes.
Around here, if you take your Wing in for tires, that's all your going to get. No drive line lube, or brake service, or speedo cable lube. or any extras. If your in there and don't do these kind of services, I feel your doing your customer a DIS-service. And my customers are always happy to know that I do my best to take care of the items that need attention. They don't want to have their bikes tied up multiple time through out the year.
Customer Service has got to be #1 priority. If you give crappy customer service, that kind of word gets around, and it won't be long before you're wondering where they've all gone. They'll be ringing my phone I hope.
So don't put up with the run-around you can get from some of these shops. I you feel you've been treated unfairly... let them know. Go to the owner if you have to. But don't put up with it!

76 GL1000/ 48,000 miles-Sulfur Yellow
76 GL1000LTD
84 GL1200 (LTD Clone)
85 LTD w/ PoorBoy conversion
98 GL1500SE
2004 GL1800 (double darkside)daily driver
2007 GL1800
and several doner bikes.
The numbers are ever-changing
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #89 of 184 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 11:12 PM

Garage
Post imported post

i talked to the local honda service center they say its just not feasable to retrain techs from a motorcycle college on how to work on carburerated bikes everything now is fuel injected for the most part.

and i know its not hard to work on a carburerator ive done it. It just takes time and practice to master that skill its not something you can just DO overnight but most of the techs comming into the business are replaceing the 60yr olds that have been there and done that.

i am the current president of the non punctuators and bad spelling motorcycle group

post #90 of 184 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 05:54 PM

Post imported post

When I worked at a Hon/Suz/Kaw dealership many years ago, we would work on anything.....after the grizzled old Service Manager went out and looked at it.
If the vehicle in question didn't pass his walk around test, he would refer you to an independant shop in the area.

Too many bikes in Ohio back then sat outside year around and were rusted up pieces of s__t.

Couple of other dealerships in the area did have signs up that said NO bikes over 10 years old in the Serv. Dept. The mechanics there were not going to be bothered with broken bolts or rusted fasteners.

We were also one of the few dealerships in the area that would rebuild a crank on a dirtbike, rather than just sell you a new one.

BTW, the local Ford dealer won't work on my buddies 1965 Mustang either, so there you go....

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page