Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Saint Cloud, Minnesota, USA
"How about a new 4 cylinder GL standard?"
Agree!! I believe Honda has already reached the end of the "bigger is better" approach to a touring bike. It's ridiculous to have the curb weight (unloaded) on a touring bike at 800+ pounds!
If they cam make a 140 hp sportbike that weighs under 400 pounds and sells for 10K they ought to be able to make a touring bike that weighs 600 pounds and costs less than a small car.
(maybe they should transfer some of the engineers from the sportbikes to the gold wing project. those guys know how to save weight!)
The next Gold Wing should have the following:
1. 1200 - 1400cc. horizontally opposed fuel injected 4 cyl. that revs to 9 or 10 grand and gets 40 some mpg. (let it cruise at 5 grand, there is no intrinsic advantage to a low cruising rpm in a smooth running engine that makes good torque.)
2. belt drive (saves weight and cost)
3. naked and dressed versions
4. REMOVABLE bags in 2 sizes, standard and "jumbo".
5. an actual stock seat that doesn't need to be replaced with a $700 aftermarket item
6. lightweight unsprung components (improves handling and saves weight, good return on the $ invested for weight reduction.)
7. wiring harness includes wiring for optional sound system that is "friendly" to customer add-ons. (no $300 cables required
2003 GL1800, 05 FJR1300, 1998 TL1000R, 2003 1978 KZ750