'75CB750K,'79cb750f,'79CB750/9k,
'93gl1500se,
'85CB450SC,'05SunL70
'06ST1300a........william
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 08:12 PM

Post imported post

I'm lucky in the fact that there isa locally owned Honda dealer in Nashville that the owner has been continuously involved since the '60's. He really and truely appreciates your business and has come out many times to ask me how I have been treated as a customer. He isn't the cheapest, and I do buy most of my parts online and I do most of my work myself, but I buy most of my tires from him and let his service department mount and balance them. They stand behind their work and have never refused to work on any of my bikes. I have 4 bikes with the oldest one is a '73 and the newest is an '86. I will go there and drool over his selection bikes, while I probably will never buy a brand new wing, I usually always end up spending $75 or so before leaving. That dealer is Howard's. Another one close toNashville is Honda of Cool Springs. I have not given them any business yet, but I've spoken to the salesmanagerwho tells me that they have 2 mechanics that only work on "Older Wings" Both dealers are no longer exclusive Honda dealers, they sell multiple brands of bikes.

Steve

Our Stable

\'81 GL1100 Interstate
\'86 CMX450C Rebel
\'78 CB400A Hondamatic
\'73 CB350F
post #23 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 03:15 AM
Passed On, R.I.P.

Post imported post

I think that we need to get used to the fact that the "old" system, of having the shop that sold you a vehicle service it, is gone, now. I stopped taking my little Toyota pickup to the guys who sold it to me at 60K miles (that's 160K miles ago)....they were great, but too far away...and, what kind of "factory warranty" was I hoping to preserve, at that point?

I too, am getting used to dealing with "independents", and I too find it shocking that Honda dealerships dang near won't service a brand new bike, in a timely fashion, let alone a 25 year old one. But....I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that someone who doesn't currently work for a Honda dealership, or, for that matter, is "younger" than I, doesn't know his or her stuff.

My doctor is a good 10+ years younger than I, but he's highly competent, and is far less "stuck in a rut" than the old fuddy-duddy I had, prior to him. He's had 20 years, to learn his craft, and he knows what he's doing.

Our local shop, which mostly sells ATV's, Dirt Bikes, and related gear (once in awhile they have one or two Wings, possibly due to mis-shipment? ) has a service manager who truly knows "everything about everything", when it comes to Honda...unfortunately, he doesn't WORK on bikes, anymore, and some kid will service your $20K+ machine. Thanks, but I'd take my chances, with the independent, who seems to know about GoldWings! (OK, yeah, I'd just do it, myself!)

Motorcycle Pete
-----------------------------------
Motorcycle Pete Bateman is no longer with us. He passed away at home in July 2010. Always popular, Pete is missed by all of us.
-----------------------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 12:00 PM

Year: 1981
Make: Honda Goldwing
Model: Gl 1100
Garage
Post imported post

This is a sad issue any way you look at it! I guess I'm lucky that I work on my own bike when I can. The only thing I have had done at one of our local dealers is to have themchange tires out but if I had the tire changer I'd do it myself. If and when the time comes that I am unable to find parts,..etc, maybe I'll tryand find a brand of bike they will work on no matter what year!!! I'll probably be in a wheel chair by then!!Bob
post #25 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 02:50 PM

Send a message via MSN to abodeen
Post imported post

Aspect one, It sounds like you are getting pretty emotional about your Honda dealer not wanting to work on your bike. I never have that problem because I would never go to a Honda dealer for anything. I get as much enjoyment out of taking care of my bike as I do riding it. You'd be suprised what a good repair manuel and a little common sense can do. It gives you a huge sense of satisfaction and a special bond with your Wing when you take care of her yourself. You can also take a nice trip with all the money your gonna save.

Any day above ground is a good one! Life is a journey that must be traveled no matter how rough the roads and accommodations.
post #26 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 04:04 PM

Post imported post

I'm thinking my dealer is going to tell me that he has a mechnic that does work on the side? I don't think so. I found a really good independent that is certified Honda guy, split from a dealership, friendly, time for a hand shake when ya come in, and a good Honda man. The good part, he's nearby. Just doesn't get much better. Point is, ya can find these guys, but you have to seek them out.
post #27 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 07:01 AM

Garage
Post imported post

I have a friend with a 96 SuperGlide HD.It is not modified other than pipes. The dealer here will not even change the oil in it now...........it is the same with all dealers now, some car dealerships too.

I don\'t care what you ride, just ride.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them--Thomas Jefferson

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves...Abraham Lincoln.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Heathen Darksider # 771.
Falken 912 NRF @44psi.
post #28 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 06:54 AM

Model: 2 1987 gl1200 aspencades
Post imported post

Hey Aspectone, take the time to look for a good mechanic in your area. Dealerships don't neccessarily hire the best mechanics. The dealership in my area is pricey, and hires alot of young kids. Many of them were not even born when my 1200 was made. If you search around long enough, you're bound to find a good, knowledgeable, mechanic in your area. I'll bet he will even remember your name!

05 Red GL1800 with 21,000 miles, '87 Red Aspencade with 61,0000 miles. 1997 Green and Cream Valkyrie Tourer with 31,000 miles. All Honda's !
post #29 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 01:50 PM

Post imported post

not far from me is a bike shop call

ian whites wings, (kidderminster, uk)the lads will service any bike including wings over 10 years old

thumbs up from me.

Daz

wife and i have a 50/50 system...i fill up the car and she drives it..
post #30 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 06:54 AM

Post imported post

A great many things go into running a business or shop. The ten year rule some shops have adopted is not against you or the bikes, it is simply business.

Any inventory of parts takes time and effort to keep around and also standing inventory has to be paid for every year, to the tax man. So quite simply the taxes on outdated inventory exceed the profit of any sales of older parts.

They have to be organized and in their bins, this takes up space, they sit for years, as although there are old bikes out there, not enough to be profitable.

Although it may rub you wrong the goal of any business is to make a profit, otherwise there is no need to be in business.

It is not the training or skill of the mechanics, a motorcycle is a motorcycle is a motorcycle, period, trouble shooting, basic things like brakes and so on are the same on all bikes basically, just different design but any mechanic can turn wrenches on any machine. There is no great mystery to that. A bike is a bike is a bike. Electronic and new circuits have became quite the challenge sometimes, but it is all the same.

There is also the element of the one who will bring in an older bike for repair, say for example it is the rear swing arm rotted out or the stator in a 1200 and you have to pull the engine . For a shop who pays wages and supports overhead, this is a $2000 dollar or better job. So what is the bike worth?? If it is never claimed back, now you have to go to the local magistrate and gain ownership of the bike, in my area this costs another $185 bucks to accomplish. So now I am up to 2185 plus time to do this.
Now I have to try to sell it. It will sit there for two years and finally you just give it away. Write it off as as loss on taxes.

Those are some of the problems a dealership faces dealing with the public, the government and the tax man.

Just putting a perspective on it some do not consider.

Kit

The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page