Buying a new Honda - Page 4 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 07:31 PM

Post imported post

Ok.....I have to ask....what is QUOTE...TOO OLD....? And what was the reason behind it....the way I see it...they should give you a reason why they will not work on it. Personally I have NEVER in my life heard anything like this.... I would ask why...I would want a valid reason why not. If none would be given....gee...I think I would take that as personal insult....

I can understand if they would say we will not service it as we no longer have parts dating back that far....I can see that. But that it...anything other then that...I would take it a personal insult.

I do not think here in Canada you would have anyone with the balls to say to you....NOPE...not going to work on it. They might say to you...you will have to get the parts, as we may not have parts dating back that far.... But to be refused stuff like say a oil change, tires...the normal things...like plugs and so on....NOPE...I do not think you would ever get refused service for those here....I really do not think they would have the guts to say...NO.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 09:37 AM

Post imported post

I just had the same problem(bike too old),as a new/old wing owner (my first one),I read these posts with worry,I know nothing about them,well I figured since I am on the road right now with my truck,I would call dealers in the NJ area where I live and ask them about servicing my new/old bike,I called 4 dealers in NJ and got the same answer from all of them"sorry,that bike is too old for us to work on",I then started calling around to find a small local shop to see if they would work on it(Thank God for the internet yellow pages),out of 10 shops within a 50 mile radius,4 were out of business,3 did not work on goldwings(too complicated))I finally found a shop who said"old wings..no problem"this guy come reccomended by a rider friend who has used him...

Mother Honda needs to get her head out of her butt and realize that there are a lot of old Goldwing owners who need work done and who might want to buy a new one in the future,and the way we are treated at the dealer now will affect the way we feel when it comes time to plunk down $24,000 for a new one.

WAKE UP HONDA!!!!!!!

Present Ride;
1986 GL1200 Aspencade

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who would do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Patriot Guard Riders id 196773
post #33 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 04:58 PM

Model: 2 1987 gl1200 aspencades
Post imported post

Hey Tom, you and other 1200 owners should check out GL1200goldwings.com. It is a great source of information and knowlege on how to work on your 1200. Between this site and that one, you may be surprised at how easy it is wrenching it yourself. I never thought I would be working on my bike, but this past winter with a Haynes catalog and these two sites, I changed my timing belts, radiator, one brake caliper, my brake pads and all my tune up stuff. Hope this helps!

05 Red GL1800 with 21,000 miles, '87 Red Aspencade with 61,0000 miles. 1997 Green and Cream Valkyrie Tourer with 31,000 miles. All Honda's !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 08:38 AM

Post imported post

Thats what I am going to wind up doing, most of the work myself,I used to build streetcars and race cars so I have mechanical knowledge but the problem I am facing is no where to work,the complex that I live in has a rule of no working on vehicles at your place and I don't have a garage anymorebut I am allowed to put up a 8x8 shed..I could turn that into a nice work area and none would be the wiser.I wish I still had my old house..35x35' garage,air compressor,welding equip,heat,220 elec....

Present Ride;
1986 GL1200 Aspencade

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who would do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #35 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 11:15 AM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

tomd86gl1200 wrote:
Quote:
.I wish I still had my old house..35x35' garage,air compressor,welding equip,heat,220 elec....
I know that feeling, I had a 25x36 shop building equipped much the same in Tacoma before I moved to Oregon. At least I still have a three car garage to ease the pain of loss.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #36 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 12:13 PM

Post imported post

My local Honda dealer, PowerSports Northwest in Centralia, WA will work on my GL1200, and they do pretty good work too. Is is apparently on a dealer by dealer basis. I say, buy a Clymer manual and do the routine maintenence yourself.

It might be interesting to start a thread about what dealers in what states will work on older bikes. Might be a very worthwhile resource.

Gun totin', motorcycle ridin', whisky drinkin', meat eatin' American. That's who I am...
2000 Valkyrie
1987 GL1200
1996 Motoguzzi Cali
Joined the Darkside-03.28.2010
Iron Butt Association, #38226
Robert Morris Lodge #97F&AM
post #37 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 12:18 PM

Post imported post

Thats a good idea,it would save some time on stopping by dealers or calling to find out who would work on older bikes

Present Ride;
1986 GL1200 Aspencade

post #38 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 08:04 AM

Post imported post

I was fortunate in finding a GREAT independant supply/parts place with a motorcycle service center right next door. They are totally seperate, owned by different people but work with each other. You can buy your tires from the parts place and they know the install rate of the service shop next door, etc...The both deal with about 50% Goldwings and the parts place has tons of goldwing parts, etc.

To answer the original question. If I were not going to own a goldwing, I would probably look at BMW for touring. If riding local only I might consider a newer harley.

Current bikes
1997 1500 Aspencade
1974 Honda CT 70 Trail bike (3,000 miles). My 1st

Past bikes
1977 Honda XL 125
1982 1100 Aspencade (Grey/Silver/Gold)
post #39 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 04:07 AM

Model: GL 1200
Post imported post

Big Kahuna wrote:
Quote:
Not that I want to get in the middle of this discussion, but...

I think that everyone has to keep in mind that many of us here on this forum drive old machines (happily I might add) but we cannot expect the dealers to keep parts and or service people that are familiar with some of these old machines, many which could have antique tags. This is one of the challenges of having a motorcycle that last forever (almost).
I know this is a discussion from a year ago, but I just had knee surgery, and I'm bored.

I could understand this point of view, but I've never had a car dealer refuse service on any car I've owned, and most of them fit the "over 10 years old" category at some point of my ownership. Do you know that you can go to some Ford dealers and get some parts for Model As? They have not been made since the thirties!!

"I think we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious." --Thomas Jefferson

Cheap, poorly made junk will never cease until people stop buying it.

1987 Honda GL1200 Aspencade
1983 Honda V-65 Magna
1981 Suzuki GS550
1977 Yamaha XS650
PGR Member #224859
post #40 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 05:31 AM
Monkey with a Football

Model: Linux, Firewalls & VPNs
Garage
Post imported post

One other thing I have noticed is that many of the born and bred dealers are either dying off or being morphed into a mixed bag of brand and product companies. Many times changing owners at the same time.

This has a tendency to dilute the technical talent as well as the remaining parts stock due to needing the space to diversify for the new items needed. It certainly dilutes the interest in anything Goldwing for them.

The thing about having your car repaired at a dealership (assuming you can afford it) is that if they screw up, you can generally roll off to the side of the road and stop. If your bike servicer screws up, you can end up stopping in a number of life threatening or unpleasant circumstances. There is little redundancy on two wheels.

Learn to turn your own wrenches. It can save your life, your wallet and your pride.

Rudy

“...and the rabid dog they gave me
wasn't too much fun”
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page