Buying a new Honda - Page 5 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 09:37 AM

Post imported post

i won't go to the honda shops . had a bad experince with one took forks from cb 900 in to have chk out to see for pits . was told they where okay they repaired them . leak two weeks later took the bike back in they fixed and installed rear tire again the seals leaked and the tire was wrong size rubing swing arms . was told the forks where pitted and they would not repair again and had to fight to get right tire installed. now i do the work myself that way i know its right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 09:46 AM

Post imported post

if you are in my area, rosenau will work on a bike older than 10 years but motorcity power sports ( the old adederson honda ) will not

iba 58509-mile eater
HAT
MOA
'75CB750K,'79cb750f,'79CB750/9k,
'93gl1500se,
'85CB450SC,'05SunL70
'06ST1300a........william
post #43 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

I've always felt the problem with Honda is exactly what Rudy mentioned. Honda makes too many diverse products and their dealers tend to sell way too many different things and models for their mechanics to be well versed on. Add to that the low pay for those mechanics and I'm surprised anyone works at a bike dealership at all. Pay for auto mechanics at a major dealership is real money. Even when you have the manual in front of you it takes awhile to get familiar with a machine you haven't seen before. Also don't forget that a lot of shops have kids to do the dirty work, you don't want to pay a journeyman to clean parts and sometimes those trainees work on more complex parts that they aren't competent at yet.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 10:38 PM

Post imported post

I atualy had one dealer say "We don't work on that old junk!". I had a prestine LTD that only needed front fork seals. I had just had surjury or I would have done it myself. I'm Honda and MMI certified. I gave the service manager a sermon loud enough for all the customers to hear and left.
post #45 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 01:26 AM
Postpubescent member

Post imported post

Interesting attitude for a Honda dealer to denigrate his own brand. I can see them not wanting to work on it even though that's foolish too since forks are forks but to bad mouth a Honda bike as junk is going a bit beyond.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #46 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 06:11 AM

Post imported post

exavid wrote:
Quote:
Interesting attitude for a Honda dealer to denigrate his own brand. I can see them not wanting to work on it even though that's foolish too since forks are forks but to bad mouth a Honda bike as junk is going a bit beyond.
I agree. Over here that would have been asking for a fist in the mouth.

Brian Rowan
post #47 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 06:06 PM

Post imported post

As far as the dealerships go in OK its the same.I bought a 80 model about 9 years ago with a knock that did not show up till after the first oil change.yep you guessed it I was conned.I went to the local dealer for a rebuild and of course they said no but they would be glad to sell me the parts.my first order was 6 hundred dollars worth and it took 2 weeks to get all of it.storage and shop space cant be cheap.down shop space could be another reason why the dealers wont take the oldies.but that's cool cause nobody knows my machine like I do now

1980 i black beauty

2003 black boulevard

PROUD MEMBER of B.A.C.A
post #48 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 09:38 PM

Post imported post

Man, I just plopped down 25K for a new wing. I was torn between a new HD Ultra Classic and the Wing. If I knew that Honda allowed such crappy dealer service policies to exist I would of bought the Harley. Harley takes care of their customers. If the problem is dealer training Honda needs to step up and take care of it. If the problem is that the dealer wants to "encourage" you to buy a new bike by refusing to service older ones, Honda needs to take care of that also.

I could have bought a new car for what I paid for my 2012. You spend that much on anything you really do expect the company to support their product. These ain't throw away's.
post #49 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 10:47 PM
Postpubescent member

Post imported post

Welcome to the World's Greatest Goldwing Site jschiner!

It is indeed unfortunate that Honda doesn't support their top of the line bikes very well. One reason I suspect is that Goldwings are a pretty minor part of most Honda dealer's sales and another is that the Goldwing is about the most complex motorcycle on the market andnot alldealers have qualified mechanics to work on them to start with. The abandonment of ten year old plus 'Wings by dealers isvery shoddy. I doubt you'll find much disagreement with the above about most Honda dealers. There are some good ones and if you find one be sure to support them.

The good news is that if you intend to do some serious riding I believe you have chosen the world's best motorcycle to do that on. I don't know in what area a Harley Davidson could out perform a 'Wing other than a bit better fuel economy. In my opinion the water cooled opposed six and shaft drive beats any air cooled V-twin with belt drive. Any Goldwing that's not abused can achieve 200,000 miles or better with no maintenance other than the routine stuff. There's a fellow near me who has almost 400,000 miles on his 'Wing. Other than the usual routine maintenance all he's done to the engine is replacing a clutch somewhere around 300,000 miles. If it's short local stuff all the time and one want's to be part of the herd then maybe a HD is a better bike but for eating up miles and miles of road there's nothing better than a Goldwing.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #50 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 03:37 PM

Post imported post

I guess I am very fortunate in that I am surrounded by three excellent dealers here in Southern Indiana. I do most of my own work (Oil & tire changes, minor electrical, etc) and any part that I needed has been readily available from these dealers. I even was able to get a new fairing for my 20+ year old bike when it fell over at a gas pump and had to be replaced. They did say that there was only one available in whatever warehouse or distribution center that they got parts from? I have previously posted about the very excellent treatment I have received from the service dept at one of them. (M & E Honda in Bedford, IN) I am 70 years old and hope to ride several more years and expect to be riding my 1990 SE until I quit riding altogether.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page