End User configurable dash display and function adjust - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Model: GL1800
Post imported post

I am an electrical engineer with considerable controls experience. It frustrates me every time my car (or bike) doesn't work exactly the way I think it should.

It frustrates me even more because I know that it is well within the capabilities of the computer(s) and software ALREADY in the vehicle to make the operation of the controls and displayed data user configurable.

there is one example of user configurability I'm aware of on fords; you can cancel the "auto lock" function (which is extremely annoying) by going thru a procedure in the owners manual.

Consider some examples:
1. I live up north and have a remote starter for my car. However, the heated seats, even if they were on when the car was shut off, don't turn on automatically when the car is started remotely. why can't I change that?

2. the windsheild on my FJR always returns to it's lowest position when the engine is shut off. why can't I change that?

3. the data display on my FJR doesn't have an "oil change" or "tire replace" odometer. why not? why can't I configure a trip meter with a label for the function I want.

4. why don't I have an ambient temp display. the ECU knows ambient temps

there are many similar examples. A smart OEM would engineer the software and displays with all the functions a user might want and then let the user select operation and display preferences.

Honda; are you listening?

2003 GL1800, 05 FJR1300, 1998 TL1000R, 2003 1978 KZ750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 08:37 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

Be patient, it will come. Notice how auto manufacturers (motorcycles not so much) will add some upgrade every year when they could have added more. A little at a time so they can tout something new on a new year model. Then they only add it to the top of the line model and the next year it will come on the lower priced units while they add another new feature to the top of the line. Just smart marketing.
The 1800s have an ambient temp display for example, I just wish it was on the screen all the time instead of having to push a button to get it.
I detest maintenance reminders.

Me, I'm up to my eyeballs in new technology, I want a return to simple.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page