What would you give up?? - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

2Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 05:55 PM

Post imported post

I would give up nothing cause my 1500 is paid for and im the only one that loves it

John3:16
The Road is long winding hilly flat hot cold sun stars AINT IT FUN!!!!
1st bike 125HD in 1969
250Honda Dream
750Honda
10 HD
89aspencade
1994 GL 1500 Trike
Past
-------------------
91HD Maybe Trike project

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 08:46 AM

Post imported post

Cb radio would go first. I read a lot of posts about no Navi, I found the Navi awesome when traveling to the unknown. Driven across the states and canada, would have been stuck a few times without the help of my Navi. Hard to read a map and ride at the same time.

2010 Whatever the dealership gives me to drive, currently a F150 4X4 XTR

2008 Goldwing Navi,Abs,Airbag, maroon, no add ons

2 shi-poo ******* dogs and a newfy wife

post #23 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Forum Diplomat

Post imported post

I'll tell you what I did give up nearly two years ago: I gave up Goldwings.

After we went deer hunting with our 1500, I took the insurance check and went looking at 1800s.....cheapest one in Washington State was just over $24K. I only paid $35K for my house (1989)! I then went looking for a late model 1500: zip, nada, not-to-be-had. So then I went looking for an early model 1500: zip, nada, not-to-be-had.

And then, like a burst of sunshine, the answer came to me.... in August 2008, parked in the corner of the dealership, looking like an orphan that had given up hopes of being adopted, sat a 2007 non-ABS Honda ST1300 Sportstourer. $12.4K brand new.... I took a test ride; I signed the papers; and I became an ex-Goldwinger.

What did I give up? Not much.... an audio system, longer-lasting tires.... But what did I gain? At half the cost, I got a bike I could tour on as easily as the Wing, a bike that was more fun in the corners than the 1500, a bike that averaged near or over 50mpg two-up at 70plus mph, a bike I never felt I was gonna drop, a bike that was a joy to ride! 27,000 happy miles now, and I ain't sorry!

Would I buy another? In a heartbeat....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2007-Honda-ST1300a-small.jpg (23.2 KB, 188 views)

First name: Mel (Red\'s: Sandy)

"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." (Bilbo Baggins)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 06:45 AM
Best looking member

Year: 1997
Make: Honda, is there any other?
Model: 1997 SE. Pearl Green
Post imported post

Sure, but by looking at your avatar, it's cost you a little in the complexion departmentOr is that a result of all that smiling??:chee sygrin:

Pearl Green(The Intelligent colour)

No question A.T.G.A.T.T. (Even when it's stinking hot!!)
And if it's too stinking hot to gear up, it's too stinking hot to ride.

If your not man enough to take the lead, stop complaining from behind.

I SURVIVED NASSIR 9.... barely.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To all of the troops and Vets. Thank you. I will never forget.

A proud Wild Rhino(Ontario) since 18 Jul 2013 (That mating sound thing really works!!)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 10:08 AM
Forum Diplomat

Post imported post

Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
Sure, but by looking at your avatar, it's cost you a little in the complexion departmentOr is that a result of all that smiling??:chee sygrin:
Yeah, I'm lookin' a little weathered, hey? Been that way since I came home from northeastern Canada!

I think it was facing all that oncoming Simcoe Day traffic when we left Dusty Boot's house... or maybe the 200 mile rainstorm we hit just shy of Sudbury! Think I got permanent water damage!

"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." (Bilbo Baggins)
post #26 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 12:16 PM

Post imported post

I was looking at an STR 1300 myself. My previous bike was a GSX 1100G that the wife refused to get on.

The STR 1300 would be great as a solo rider, but 2 up long distances would be a challenge.

The wife sure likes her comfy couch on the wing complete with her own a$$ warmer.

I think the comparison is apples to oranges. The STR is a sport touring bike for short and medium distances. Having test drove one for a 100 km trek up in Northern ontario canada, I can't see myself doing a cannonball 22 hour run like I just did on my wing.

But each to their own

Cheers

2010 Whatever the dealership gives me to drive, currently a F150 4X4 XTR

2008 Goldwing Navi,Abs,Airbag, maroon, no add ons

2 shi-poo ******* dogs and a newfy wife

post #27 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Forum Diplomat

Post imported post

JasonWaugh wrote:
Quote:
I was looking at an STR 1300 myself. My previous bike was a GSX 1100G that the wife refused to get on.

The STR 1300 would be great as a solo rider, but 2 up long distances would be a challenge.

The wife sure likes her comfy couch on the wing complete with her own a$$ warmer.

I think the comparison is apples to oranges. The STR is a sport touring bike for short and medium distances. Having test drove one for a 100 km trek up in Northern ontario canada, I can't see myself doing a cannonball 22 hour run like I just did on my wing.

But each to their own

Cheers
Well, my wife and I just rode our ST1300 two-up with camping gear from Washington State across the country to Nova Scotia (The Cabot Trail) and Quebec (The Gaspe' Peninsula) and back.... 8,910 miles....Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota, Michigan, a slice of Ontario, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, and the rest of Ontario....and back again.....

Gee, I didn't know we couldn't do that!

I believe the artificially set limits on bikes -- "that's a touring bike, that's a sport bike, that's a trailer-bike" -
- are all patent nonsense. The world has been circumnavigated by people on 50 ccs, and by a double amputee on a junkyard Harley (Dave Barr). My advice to all is to disregard "expert" advice, and do what you want with what you got....... but, as the man says, to each his own......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Our 2010 MC trip, to Nova Scotia 051.jpg (91.8 KB, 182 views)

post #28 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 06:52 AM
Token Canuk

Model: 1996 SE
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to 96aspencade Send a message via Skype™ to 96aspencade
Post imported post

Love that pic, Jack, seeing Red in it helps as well. Were you lucky enough to get to walk out to the Rock, we've done it a couple of times, don't start when the tide is coming in

Retired Paramedic - 35 yrs
Never had a bad day riding-Just some better than others!!
DD # 1138
30,000 miles - Formosa,
'96 GL 1500 SE - 260,k km
Goodyear Assurance (175/60/16), now on my 2nd
'84 Shadow VT 750c - 35,k km- BF Goodrich Radial TA
'90 Suzuki Intruder 750 – 88,k km
'85 GL 1200 Aspencade - 185,k km
'83 Shadow 500
'70 Kawasaki KE-125
'?? Suzuki 80

(Skid Prevention/ Emergency Techniques)
post #29 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 12:01 PM
Forum Diplomat

Post imported post

96aspencade wrote:
Quote:
Love that pic, Jack, seeing Red in it helps as well. Were you lucky enough to get to walk out to the Rock, we've done it a couple of times, don't start when the tide is coming inÂ*
No, we didn't, Bob, but we walked around the town quite a bit..... cool place! By the time we got to Perce, time and money were beginning to be a factor, so we spent only one night there.... had a wonderful, wonderful time, sure...would love to do more riding up in your neck of the woods, but it's so far away. Thought about storing a bike in Maine; that way we could fly in and ride the great Northeast! Every serious motorcyclist should ride the Cabot and the Gaspe' once in their lives..... we left Newfoundland for seed...gotta come back someday to do Newfie-land!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Our 2010 MC trip, to Nova Scotia 055.jpg (77.8 KB, 166 views)

post #30 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 07:48 PM
Forum Diplomat

Post imported post

Didn't mean to hijack this thread: What would I give up? How about $25-35K motorcycles..... make a new, less luxurious Goldwing, and sell it to me for a price that a retired educator/social worker can afford..... I paid $2495 for an 81' Wing with 60K miles on it, and put 160K more on it; I paid $10,000 for a 96' Aspencade (in 2001) with 8K miles on it, and put 80K on it before we slammed a deer...... But I cannot pay $20K-$25K-$30K for a motorcycle.....just cannot do it. I'm afraid Honda is going the way of Harley, and pricing normal people right off the road...... my humble opinion only, of course....

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page