2Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Who the heck cares?

Year: 1988
Make: Honda GoldWing
Model: 88 GL1500
My friends…. the old saying is true: those that refuse to remember the past are doomed to repeat it.

Remember the GL1500 Interstate and Valkyrie and the GL1200Standard???

People craved a simpler and a hot-rod GoldWing... and Honda listened. But they only lasted a few years.
Why???… they didn't sell. At least not enough to make the models profitable.

Personally I feel the Airbag model is nothing more than a practice in technology. Sure it works for the driver… but the vast majority of 1800 GoldWing riders are 2 up. What good does it do for the co-rider? None.
A valid point could be made for a model with less 'bells and whistles'. But one similar to the Interstate (no reverse, no cruise control) wouldn't sell. Not in today's market.

Ray
88 GL1500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 10:01 AM

Garage
Last I checked it was a free country. You don't have to buy a new wing, Those that get to vote for what needs to be on a new wing are those that actually buy them. And apparently those folks voted for all the bling and accessories .
wilf

79 gl1000 dresser
80 gl1100I now naked
90 1500 full dress
post #63 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 09:08 PM

The last you checked where was a free country? Not in this country.its no longer free ... well for half the country its free and the rest pay ...just wanted to correct that...

Ted
Carolina Gamecock Fan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 09:33 PM
Vintage Rider

Model: none at present
I would be willing to give up everything except the basic motorcycle, fairing, bags, and trunk. I would actually love to be able to buy a bike like that. The base model 1980 Interstate still stands as the benchmark for Goldwings for me. Except for the fuel injection, I have pretty much created one out of what was left of an '85 LTD. I love this bike except for ongoing problems with the fuel injection and charging system. I would be seriously tempted to take out a second mortgage to buy a bare bones Goldwing.

"New vehicles move the body. Old vehicles move the soul. Vintage forever"
"Obsolete does not mean it is not any good, it just means it is not made anymore"
"The simpler the better"
Save the environment. STOP the developers.
PGR member since 2007
post #65 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 08:34 AM

Model: 2012 level II
I would be willing to give up a lot of the high tech gadgets for a plan basic Gold Wing. No tire pressure sensors, no intercom, CB radio, bank angle sensor, self cancelling turn signals. Let's see now, what did I forget?

I can remember back when I was wondering if I was going to be able to afford the cost of my 1982 GL1100 Aspencade.
post #66 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 12:02 PM

Model: 2008 Gold Wing with Airbag
I would give up the NAV. I can always use my cell phone with the right attachment.
post #67 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 11:52 PM

Location: California - Military - Go figure, Army, PCS'd to an AFB (March ARB)
Model: '95 SE/'86 SEI
Garage
I don't normally post to things like this (I've been around here a bit - but normally just read), but... I see a bunch of "I want the plain vanilla wrapper" type of wing. Maybe it's because I'm old... No that can't be it, my very first wing was almost 30 years ago - oh my, maybe I am old - please don't let the wifey know I've only bought 1 new wing in my life, an 84 Aspencade and never put on any add on's, ran it until it wouldn't run anymore (200K+), went to a used (low mileage) 86 SEI - put about 50K on it when the electronics (dash, trip computer etc) started to die, and now a 95 SE - love the reverse. I didn't get them for the "bells and whistles" but for the comfort - when I was young and dumb I did a bunch of dirt, was very lucky to still be in one piece. I guess with all this rambling what I'm really saying is that as some have already pointed out, each of us have our "reasons" but the bottom line is the "bottom line" for the manufacturer - what sells and what doesn't sell. I for one love the creature comforts that currently exist, wifey and I love to talk to each other and listen to music on long rides via IC and/or talk with others via the CB. Even with a cassette (or 8-track if they came that way - don't recall one though) some third party vendor typically sees a need and provides an adapter (e.g., for CD/Ipod etc). If I didn't want comfort I probably would be on a hard tail. Just my two cents, not trying to ruffle any feathers so please don't take anything I say that way
post #68 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 01:39 AM
Roll Tide

Year: 1983Interstate 1986Interstate,1986Aspencade
Make: 1983 interstate Interstate love this one of the two because she's like ex wife stubborn and meaner t
Model: 1983 Interstate 1100 1986 interstate,1986 Interstate,1986 Aspencade
Garage
Im giving up my watch collection for another 1983 interstate.I need a parts bike so I guess we'll both be happy.I ve worked on my bike for 3 months now tried to take too many shortcuts.Im heavy handed and it cost me alot of time finding a cracked carb.I broke it putting the carbs in after cleaning.Goodnews on my rear master I cleaned it and the little hole and I think it will be fine.
post #69 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 01:41 AM
Roll Tide

Year: 1983Interstate 1986Interstate,1986Aspencade
Make: 1983 interstate Interstate love this one of the two because she's like ex wife stubborn and meaner t
Model: 1983 Interstate 1100 1986 interstate,1986 Interstate,1986 Aspencade
Garage
Patience is a must on these bikes I see.Ive always been a car man you can get away with alot.But on these delicate machines you cant.I so thank all the post in here and other site's they've helped so much.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page