Improved cruise control, maybe with gps or radar - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

When cornering in speeds exceeding 20 mph we run on the outer edge of thetires, and when using round tires, as most of us do, the registrated speed will incrase due to the smaller diameter of that part of the tire. The cruise control will get the wrong input and deacreases the throttle to compensate for the wrongfully fast speed registered and the reel speed will decrease instead of increase getting out of the turn. As soon as we bring the bike backinto upright position the cruise control will registrate the reel speed again and gives more throttle to compensate - then it's too late.

This is almost theopposite of what a biker usually do when driving corners. We give more throttle in the middle of the turn to get the bike back to upright position and releases the throttle a little as we are out of the turn to get back at "normal" speed.

Could this be fixed with GPS, radar, laser, gyro or something else?

PS: My explanation is not very good, but I hope it's possible to understand what I mean.

Geirr

Norway
- the land of the Midnight Sun, Fjords and Trolls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 09:29 PM

Post imported post

Maybe I do not understand?? But there are two situations that I do not want the cruise to be active.

One is in the rain. If you do hit a slick spot the rear tire can spin out from under you , even though your reaction to the danger will cancel the cruise very quickly, under some conditions it can be an unwanted situation and dangerous. So in the rain I want it disabled.

The other would be riding the curves. To the point you enter the curve in second gear and leave it in third with the throttle cracked open and into the next in second and out in third. I want full manual control of the bike, to be able to shift my weight and use the throttle as I see fit to control the bike in the curve. I would consider even trying to use the cruise and accident waiting to happen. I honestly do not see how you could use it or even consider something being too late??? Coming around a curve pretty hot kissing the mirror with your butt over on the side of the seat with the throttle wide open is not a place for the cruise control. This is why cruise will not work until at a held speed in forth or higher gears. It is engineered this way for safety. I would suspect also as technology grows, that some kind of lean angle would cancel the cruise also. Under unsafe conditions, technology will do for us what is correct, like it or not.

On gentle roads and sweepers and even with a bit of spirit on those the cruise seems to work well and just hold steady. Round tire or square one.

But yes I think the cruise on bikes and in vehicles will one day be a function of and onboard GPS. Once they adopt fly by wire to bikes and do away with throttle cables and go to throttle sensors like they do on high performance boat motors then other options will be available for the control of speed. Some are being used now in some applications in the marine industry. There is at least one sport bike in production today that uses wireless technology for speed control. Most new things are tested there and on the race track before coming to the cruiser markets. Maybe in a couple years it will be reality.

Kit

The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Good points, but this is not exactly what I ment.

The cruise must be operated manually like today, but what I find annoying is the misinterperated speed the cruise gets when cornering - with round tires. When the bike is running on the side of the tire, the diameter of the tire is smaller and the cruise "thinks" that the bike is running faster, while it in reality is running slower. This again makes the cruise to release a little and you have to "help" it by giving more throttle to get bike upright again without contra steer or moving your body the other way. When out of the corner the cruise again increases the speed back to normal.

This is why I ment it would be better if the cruise read the actual speed while cornering and not the indicated speed from wheels running faster due to the smaller diameter.

Maybe laser, radar or even a gps could solve this "problem". In a car you don't have this issue as the car tires are squareand will notget smallerdiameterwhengoing aroundcorners.

Sorry for mybad English, but I hope this post makes my previous easier to understand.

Edit: A lot of misspellingand stupid errors in my writing.

Geirr

Norway
- the land of the Midnight Sun, Fjords and Trolls.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page