New Goldwing design HONDA REPS PLEASE READ - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 12:05 PM
Senior Guru

Model: GL1800, GL1500, GL1200
Post imported post

KT7R wrote:
Quote:
Also hard to wrap legs around to highway pegs.
Agreed. You need to be a contortionist to get to some of the pegs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 12:17 PM

Post imported post

I took a test ride on an 1800 a while back and my knees were rubbing against the faring. Not that I could afford an 1800 at the time, but if I could the limited leg room could sour the deal.
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 05:49 PM

Year: 1996
Make: Goldwing SE
Model: 1996 GL1500SE
Garage
Post imported post

I don't know if anyone noticed this site being posted a while ago but it is awesome. I am 6'2" with a 36 inch inseamI tried out an 1800 but my legs didn't feel comfortable. But on the 1500 I didn't have that problem so here I am and from what I've seen will stay. Oh here is the site, change the parameters and the bike and see what happens.

http://cycle-ergo.com/

Also one of the first pieces I bought for my wing was the Chrome lower strips these are about 1 1/2 inches wide not the 3 1/4 on the stock ones. These don't hit your legs when you try to put your feet out on the running boards. Try Cyclemaxohio for details.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke ~

Always look for the door "C" it may be hidden but there is always one there...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 06:04 AM

Post imported post

What SabreJoe said. For such a huge, heavy beast,I hit the fairing sometimes. I graze six one and can just imagine what the taller folks go through. Never thought I'd have so much room on my 1200. But, that problem has been solved.
Patrick

2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Spyder RTS
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 12:49 PM

Model: GL1800
Post imported post

an ELECTRIC windsheild.

4 cyl; lighter and cheaper with better mileage. A touring bike doesn't need to (and shouldn't) weigh 800+ pounds. Ok, maybe if its a diesel.

control architecture and wiring harness friendly to customer add-ons. End the rape job pricing for a CB.

standard and "jumbo" size detachable luggage.

truly adjustable ergonomics accommodating riders 5'6" to 6'1" or whatever range gets 80% of the potential riders.

10 minute access for standard maintenance items like air and fuel filter.

2003 GL1800, 05 FJR1300, 1998 TL1000R, 2003 1978 KZ750
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 10:05 PM

Post imported post

It's not possible to move rider (not the passenger) back 4" without pushing the passenger back also which would shorten the trunk that much.
You omitted THE most important issue; the rear shock spring is much too weak. I have a custom Works Performance GL1800 shock with custom valving for my weight and riding style (old fart). WP puts a 1050LB spring vice the stock 850LB. It still barely gives the outer limit of sag even with the preload set to 25. The sag with me on the bike (fully dressed 216LB) is 35% of total shock travel. The WP shock has rebound damping adjustment. My old Kawi Nomad had rebound damping and it was half the price of the Goldwing.
First gear is too low; I start 90% of the time in second unless on a hill. I do not ride two up however.
Honda did address the rear shock in the 2012 model, but exactly what was done is yet TBD.
BTW, a motorcycle is not driven; that's for trikes and gages. A motorcycle is ridden since it must be banked to turn. Sort of like flying an airplane (one also does not drive it). ))
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 10:42 AM

Post imported post

I agree on the weight thing- I have an 82 Silverwing that closes in on 600 lbs (I'm 5'9", and replaced the seat with one from a Road King, so I added 2" to overall operator height- no leg room issues...) We just added an 09 Boulevard to the garage and not only is it comfortable, handles great and has 800cc vs my 500cc- but it's lighter too. That's what intimidates a LOT of people is knowing they have 900 lbs on 2 wheels, and I think that's what holds more people back from getting GoldWings...

DakotaMK, GL500 *Chaos*

Let\'s go!
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 07:39 PM

Post imported post

My next bike...... BMW.

Winter is here, happy riding and stay safe !
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 01:04 PM

Post imported post

I agree on everything said I am 6 foot 8 inches tall and leg room is defiantly needed one of the reasons i bought a 1500 it’s the larger of goldwings as far as room goes
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 06:48 PM

Post imported post

Just make the bike 4" longer and get that rear wheel back that same 4".

Install a real rear tire, you know one that works, costs, and takes as much weight as a car tire on the wing does, also make them run flat too. These tires should also not cost more than $80.00 each just like the run flat car tires do.

Then rear set the handlebars, and make all bikes ABS standard, all with full audio and comfort, and all with a real 6 speed gear box. Then make a manual or an automatic the only option (other than color) you should have to choose between.

FINALLY IF YOU REALLY WANTED TO SELL THESE BIKES YOU WOULD MAKE ALL ENGINES UNDER COVER'S AND SIDE FRAMES ECT. COVERED IN SHINY CHROME, AND REPLACE THE BLACK BATTERY COVER WITH A PAINTED TO MATCH COLORED COVER.

PS. the new 2012 wing looks like a joke gone wrong! Did you run out of matched parts?

'RIDE TO BE SEEN'

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist is?

"I never saw him".
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page