New Goldwing design HONDA REPS PLEASE READ - Page 5 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 04:40 PM

Post imported post

Well, I blew the minds of about 6 people when I took a 2012 up off the side stand at the bike show. I'm 5'1" with a 26" inseam. Boy that sucker is heavier than my 1100!!!

I couldn't reach the side stand to flip it up.
Bolt-on Extensions please.
And the bars are a bit of a reach (set-backs please).

Bravo on the lower, skinnier seat section!

Don\'t spook the road sheep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 05:56 PM

Post imported post

you all missed the most important thing bring the price down so normal people can afford them.for me to upgrade from a 07 to a 2012 would cost a staggering £10.000 for what a couple of bits of silver plastic strapped to the sides the BMWs are looking more tempting every year.

Glenn/uk Germany,Poland,Holland,Slovakia,Croatia,Slovenia,A ustria,USA,Hungary,Ireland, chec rep,Estonia,Latvia,Lithuania,Romania on a 1988/1500 115.000 miles and rising/new 1800 start again,Italy,Switzerland,Belgium,France,Nurburgring ,Bosnia ,Montenegro ,Luxembourg ,
post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 05:07 PM
dlg14

Year: 2008
Make: Honda
Model: 2008 Audio Comfort Navi
Garage
Post imported post

Please Honda could you Please put in a 6 speed transmission. Should have put it in the 1500! Any out of work engineers out there?

When you\'re going thru hell, keep on going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 12:04 AM

Post imported post

I don't buy into the "bigger is better" theory.I think they should bring back the naked 4 cylinder wings. Dress them as you like with a more easily managed weight.A sixth gear would be nice.
post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 11:21 PM

Send a message via MSN to micon1821 Send a message via Yahoo to micon1821
Post imported post

I happen to agree with the recommendations from this author..but wait a minute!!!!..I don't have a GL1800...I have a GL1500....hmmm..so why? Well, I am in that 6'-4" group with long legs...I had every intention of buying a GL1800, but guess what? My legs wouldn't fit inside of the fairing! An adjustable seat up, down and forward/backmakes way too much sense for universal appeal to not have been added by now. Also why aren't factory seats more suited for the bike's purpose?...Long comfortable RIDES??..A touring bike should have the most comfortable seats, yet most people almost immediately look for an aftermarket seat to compensate due to the stock seat being less than desirable after a while.

I absolutely LOVE my Honda GL1500 and would definitely like to remain a Honda owner..but GL1500 parts are dwindling and the current GL1800 line is not made with people like me in mind...taller American rider...I don't know if Honda engineers actually read this forumor care, but there are some very good suggestions on this forum...just my opinion....Hope everyone took time to remember what Memorial Day is all about!
post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 01:18 PM
Vintage Rider

Model: none at present
Post imported post

In thinking it over, the '80 1100 Interstate, with fairing, bags, and trunk would have been the perfect Goldwing for me. I need room to carry a passenger and lots of stuff, the main problem with all Goldwings is insufficient load carrying capacity. But I ride to enjoy the ride, and have no need for any kind of gadgets. Just put plenty of storage pockets in the fairing. You could make other things optional, for those who wanted them. Maybe dealer installed options. You hit the nail right on the head in 1980, considering the manufacturing techniques available back then. From then, each new generation of Goldwing has grown bigger, heavier, and more complex, until now it has basically become a 2 wheeled car, but costs twice as much as a few economy cars. It has become so big and heavy in fact that a LOT of people are turning them into trikes. I keep expecting to see a Honda built Goldwing trike with an automatic transmission.

None of this matters much to me. I find it sad what you have done to the Goldwing. Build a full dress touring bike that is simple and comfortable, keep it under $15K, and I'll buy it. Make a 1000cc version of the old Silverwing Interstate for that price and I'll buy it.

"New vehicles move the body. Old vehicles move the soul. Vintage forever"
"Obsolete does not mean it is not any good, it just means it is not made anymore"
"The simpler the better"
Save the environment. STOP the developers.
PGR member since 2007
post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 11:28 PM

Year: 2005
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 30th year anniversary model
Post imported post

1. Honda could easily make a 4 cyl 1800 engine. They used to make a 450cc engine. Four of the 450 pistons in a 4 cyl engine adds up to 1800.
So, we have a 4 cyl 1800cc engine. We have now gained two cyl worth of leg room we didn't have before.(Or go ahead and use the 500cc pistons and make it a 2000cc engine. Still a 4 cyl and still have more leg room than currently.)
2. Gear drive the cams so we don't have to worry about belts.
3. 6 gears in the tranny or lower the rear gear ratio. The engine has more than enough power to do either one even when pulling a trailer. There is absolutely no reason to have the engine turn that many rpms at highway speeds. If I need to bump the rpms to pass, I'll downshift.
4. Who designs the seats at Honda? The Marquis de Sade? Vlad the Impaler?
5. Those so called side 'bags', who was the 'genius' the put the lid stays in the upper part of the bag? It is ALWAYS in the way when trying to put a bag in there.
6. Why is Honda still using incandescent bulbs? Headlights I can understand but all the rest could easily be LED. Brighter, use less energy, last longer, etc.
7. Why no accessory plugs?
8. LED light in the trunk lid please.
9. Easier access to do basic maintenance.
I know that much of this has already been brought up but if Honda would ever pay attention and see what everyone likes/dislikes things may change.

Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes. - James Tiberius Kirk

Good health is merely the slowest rate at which you will still die. - Anon.

Don't worry about old age. It doesn't last very long. - Anon.

Common sense doesn't seem to be all that common anymore. - Me (an adaptation of Voltaire's quote)

Why do today what you can put off till tomorrow. - The Procrastinators Code

PHD - taking your BS to a higher level
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 07:44 AM

Post imported post

riffraff wrote:
Quote:
I don't buy into the "bigger is better" theory.I think they should bring back the naked 4 cylinder wings. Dress them as you like with a more easily managed weight.A sixth gear would be nice.
They kind of tried this with the Valk standard, 6 cylinder naked. Best bike I ever owned (30 years of bike ownership). Darn things did not sell..Honda like any company is about the bottom line..and the bottom line only.
post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 07:42 PM

Year: 1982
Make: goldwing custom
Model: 82 interstate custom
Post imported post

nobody needs a 6-speed gearbox. I have had bikes that are highway geared and bikes that are town geared, all with 5-speed gearboxes.I once had a 82 750 magna with 6 gears. hated shifting all the time so I usually skipped 1 or 2 gears. If they are spaced right 5 is the right number. samk.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page