Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/9-feedback-hondas-goldwing-team/)
-   -   Go back (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/9-feedback-hondas-goldwing-team/373009-go-back.html)

JerryH 07-23-2011 02:00 AM

imported post

Honda please drop that $30,000 1800cc whale you are currently selling, and go back to a smaller displacement 4 cylinder. The 1100s and 1200s were great bikes, and all the touring bike most rational people need. I have ridden both the 1500 and the 1800, and vastly prefer the design of my 1200. I can't see how the six cylinder models preform any better or are any more comfortable. They are just bigger, more cumbersome, more complicted, and a whole lot more expensive. Build something more sensible, and something that ordinary people can afford. Something under $15000 would be nice.

WingerDave 07-25-2011 04:27 AM

imported post

I think a ST1100 /1300 would be up your street, just not $-wise.

But you do have a point. There's a whole load of techie-stuff on these bikes "just because it can". Most of it doesn't add to the riding experience.

The problem is, they tried it in the 90's with the 1500 Interstate as a stripped down version. Only lasted a few years (91-96 i believe).

Just the way the market works.

Dave.

JerryH 07-27-2011 09:06 PM

imported post

Unfortunately the ST is a bit too "sporty" for me, I can't handle the sportbike riding position for very long.

Unfortunately you are right about the market thing. People want lots of technology, and are apparently willing to pay for it. But then they turn around and complain when it breaks down, and they find out what it costs to fix it.

I for one would definitely be interested in a four cylinder Goldwing with very little technology, even at $15000, because it would likely be the last bike I would ever need to buy. But they have to build what sells, and I suppose they actually love it when that technology breaks down, as they make a fortune fixing it.

JerryH 07-27-2011 09:06 PM

imported post

Unfortunately the ST is a bit too "sporty" for me, I can't handle the sportbike riding position for very long.

Unfortunately you are right about the market thing. People want lots of technology, and are apparently willing to pay for it. But then they turn around and complain when it breaks down, and they find out what it costs to fix it.

I for one would definitely be interested in a four cylinder Goldwing with very little technology, even at $15000, because it would likely be the last bike I would ever need to buy. But they have to build what sells, and I suppose they actually love it when that technology breaks down, as they make a fortune fixing it.

wilf 09-24-2011 09:31 AM

imported post

Well jerry
I would love to buy a 66 nova or an 62 falcon just the way they cam from the factory in those yrs. for around $5500
wilf
Oh and the peaple with the money to buy new bikes love all the gadgets an bling. Us guys who have to get by with used stuff are not so excited about bling
Wilf

JerryH 09-24-2011 11:52 AM

imported post

To me, the most important thing about a touring bike is comfort. If it isn't comfortable, you will not enjoy riding long distances on it. Next most important thing is reliability, and simplicity wins hands down here. I don't really care how many gadgets you load it down with, as long as the bike will run without them when they break down. But keep the engine simple and based on proven technology. It's a touring bike, not a roadracer, and doesn't need the latest racing technology to get the job done.

Bootwing1100 09-25-2011 07:01 AM

imported post

I agree with you about the engine Jerry. Regardless of size, keep it simple and just tweak it for emissions requirements. I think all Goldwing engines met those needs over the years., the clunker gearboxes are what lets them all down.