Improve the look of the Saddle - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I've seen some GL1100's that had nice OEM 2-tone saddles. Some GL1200 & 1500s had nice enough single color saddles, but most Wings after the 1100 are just plain old gray or black.

The seat on a motorcycle is one of the first things to catch the eye of people looking at it. For all the talk about how Honda put a lot of research into getting Goldwing saddles right over the years, WTH didn't they make them look more appealing? How much extra would it cost to have 2-tone material, a couple of bucks extra per bike?

Come on Honda, put some effort into the way the saddle looks on your flagship motorcycle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 08:20 PM
Gregarious Greeter

Model: GL 1800
Garage
Post imported post

If they use the idea I'm sure it will be a $500.00 option

Yesterday is for memories!
Today is for making memories!
Tomorrow is a concept that does not exist!
What are you waiting for? ... Sam-n-Elaine
Just livin\' the dream!!!!!
Just another day in paradise!!!!!
Honor above all else!!!!!
Thank you Dylan Saunders for the layout of my greeting!!!!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 09:13 PM
FM

Model: 91-I
Garage
Post imported post

YAAAAH . . . . I'd say cost also.

Besides, it's a personaltaste item everyone has.
Some 2 tone brown, others tri-tone purple.
Can never satisfy everyone.
Besides black or gray is a base color that goes with any color on a bike.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 04:35 AM

Model: GL1800
Post imported post

Zeke makes a good point. Plain black or gray lets the whole bike down. It can't cost a lot more to have a two-tone saddle, or even some colored piping like we see on high end car seats. The GL1800 saddle is huge and would look real good with the inlay sections colored to the bikes main color.

Tom, GL1800

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 09:16 AM

Garage
Post imported post

I'm shure you can buy a custom seat with the color and inlays you like for less than it would cost for the option from honda!
Wilf

79 gl1000 dresser
80 gl1100I now naked
90 1500 full dress
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 03:01 PM

Post imported post

I agree, the saddle look plain. Being plastic, they need to be made look better.

Eamonn.
1985 GL1200 Aspencade
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 04:41 AM

Post imported post

Agreed on the GL1100, some of them had very nice 2 tone upholstery. One of my riding buddies has a nice 2 tone brown Aspencade and the OEM saddle is matched to the bikes color. It really stands out from the rest of the Wings when parked up.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 02:19 AM
Vintage Rider

Model: none at present
Post imported post

The '80-'83 Interstates are my favorite Goldwings, and for good reason. They just oozed class. From their 19" front wheels, to their non integrated fairing/tank, two tone seats, chrome parts, and hand painted pinstriping, they were just beautiful machines. I especially like the burgundy with gold emblems and pinstriping. I have a picture I believe I got from this forum, of such a bike sitting next to a blue/gray 1500. The looks of the 1100 were absolutely stunning compared to the dull boring 1500.

It's not just motorcycles though, cars went down the same road. Remember the big chrome cars of the '50s and '60s, with two tone paint and swoopy lines? Remember big chrome bumpers and whitewall tires? Even in the '70s, remember RWL and whitewall tires, 2 door luxury cars with vinyl landau roofs and opera windows, with long hoods, like the Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, Thunderbird and Lincoln Continental Mark V? Those cars had class. Todays cars don't, and most of todays bikes don't either. They have become bland and boring. The classiest looking Japanese bikes are mostly Harley copies. You can still get them with leather seats with studs, lots of chrome, wire spoked wheels, whitewall tires, and deep metallic paint with pinstriping. Sportbikes are just drop dead ugly to me, and Honda seems to have turned the Goldwing into a huge sportbike. I almost bought a Valkyrie Interstate when they first came out, but just couldn't handle the price.

"New vehicles move the body. Old vehicles move the soul. Vintage forever"
"Obsolete does not mean it is not any good, it just means it is not made anymore"
"The simpler the better"
Save the environment. STOP the developers.
PGR member since 2007
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 02:00 PM

Post imported post

Speaking of the saddle, at least have an option for the tall folk. I feel like I'm already spending a huge chunk of change for the bike, and to need a $1,500(ish) seat on top of it just so I'm moved back far enough to comfortably access the pedals hurts a bit.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 03:40 AM

Garage
Post imported post

Does not the 2012 kind of have a 2 tone seat, with the new seat material they are using?

I don\'t care what you ride, just ride.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them--Thomas Jefferson

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves...Abraham Lincoln.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Heathen Darksider # 771.
Falken 912 NRF @44psi.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page