Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/9-feedback-hondas-goldwing-team/)
-   -   2012 headlights (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/9-feedback-hondas-goldwing-team/379324-2012-headlights.html)

DaveO430 11-18-2011 09:56 PM

imported post

If any of you have met a 2012 on the road or been in front of it looking in your mirrors you may have noticed something odd, I did. If you are not directly in line with the headlights they are almost not visible. Riding in front of my friend who has one I first thought he was flashing his lights as we went up and down small hills then noticed when going around curves the lights just disappear while older models behind him were clearly visible. The way the new ones are made with black surrounds instead of chrome there is no reflection to the sides at all, like shining a light through a tube. No way oncoming traffic or vehicles pulling out from side roads can see them. He says they are plenty bright at night but they do not light the sides of the road. Any members who have 2012 models please have someone observe this and even walk out a distance from the bike with the lights on and move side to side so you will know what I mean and contact Honda customer service. There should definitely be a recall on this IMHO.

tfdeputydawg 11-19-2011 07:21 AM

imported post

While what you state has some merit to it, the usable/legal part of the reflector surface has not been altered. I know this is not your point.
The lamps are still legal and the loss of stray side light is present. That's why the feds passed the sidemarker lamp requirements years ago.
The real point of this response is to tell that on the gl1800riders forum there are several posters whom have stated they would gladly trade their "shiny" headlamps for anyone's w/the 2012's that wanted the older lamps!

DaveO430 11-19-2011 05:37 PM

imported post

I wouldn't trade for them after seeing them in action. They may look cool but I would rather be seen than look cool.

MSGT-R 11-20-2011 10:00 AM

imported post

I was wondering the same thing when I saw it at Wing Ding. I was looking for a place to put LEDs for lateral visibility. Keep the fogs on, for sure!

numbersman 11-22-2011 05:33 PM

imported post

Is this on high beams or low?

numbersman 11-22-2011 05:34 PM

imported post

DaveO430 11-26-2011 09:33 PM

imported post

numbersman wrote:
Quote:

High beam did help a little but they are still way harder to see than the older ones.

Glide99 11-29-2011 05:38 AM

imported post

Shouldn't be an issue after installing all the Christmas lights on the bike :ROFL: Honestly I haven't seen a 2012 but I sure will be on the lookout for this.

Rudy 11-29-2011 09:35 AM

imported post

Guess they were trying to hide that ugly look.

Flyone 11-29-2011 09:56 AM

imported post

Rudy wrote:
Quote:

Guess they were trying to hide that ugly look.
:lash::lash::lash::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Dave0430. Thanks! I will definately have a look see at this! :bow: