More power?? Like the new Beemer - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 06:11 PM

Garage
Post imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
Quote:
They sure could increase the power if they wanted to and if the beemer starts cutting into the goldwing market they might. The Honda civic with the same 1832ccs (4cyl) has 144 HP, about 26 more than the GL1800 and the car gets about the same fuel economy as the bike. All they need to do is redesign the heads and put in 4 valves with the VTEC system. If they put it in the new 2012 body I will still pass though. They sure ruined a good looking bike IMHO.
I agree with Dave. I don't care much for the look of the new 1800's. Don't like the grey sides and seems to me if they re-designed the saddlebags they should have re-designed the top case. I am not much for add on chrome with a few small exceptions. I thought the 2001-2010 wings had just the right amount.

Anyway you drive a white one now don't you? At least the white 2012 color looks the most balanced for when you roll over 400,000 miles and have to replace yours (in about 6 months from now at the rate you're going).

"Try to open your mouth a little WIDER when you speak..."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 08:26 PM
Vintage Rider

Model: none at present
Post imported post

That VTEC thing is a disaster. I read the valve adjustment procedure in the manual for the VFR800. That is one job I wouldn't touch. It costs about $600 to have a dealer adjust the valves, and since I don't have $600 to throw away like that, and don't want a dealer near my bike anyway, that is one bike I would stay away from.

I have never owned a 1500 or an 1800, my experience has been limited to fairly short rides on my former supervisors bikes. But it was obvious that the 1500 was more comfortable, in a '70s Cadillac kinda way. Handling is not really important on a touring bike, as to me they are designed for long distance highway riding. At least that seemed to be Honda's intention when they named the first full dress Goldwing "Interstate"

I just want them to start making things smaller and less complex, to get back to more of what the first "Interstate" was. Honda has already lost my business by taking the Goldwing too far. I know this is a sore subject around here, but since the Goldwing has been compared to the BMW, Honda also needs to be concerned about losing sales to Harley. They make several models of the Electra Glide which are way simpler, and just as capable of 2 up cross country travel.

I love my 1200 (when I can keep it going) but if I were looking to spend a ton of money on a new touring bike, the Harley Electra Glide Classic for only $20K would sure get a lot of consideration. So would the Kawasaki Vaquero, if it weren't a blatant Harley copy. Then there is the V4 Yamaha Venture S, also for only $20K MSRP.

Honda made such a bike about a decade ago, called the Valkyrie Interstate. Unfortunately it is no longer here to consider.

"New vehicles move the body. Old vehicles move the soul. Vintage forever"
"Obsolete does not mean it is not any good, it just means it is not made anymore"
"The simpler the better"
Save the environment. STOP the developers.
PGR member since 2007
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 09:27 PM

Post imported post

JerryH wrote:
Quote:
Honda also needs to be concerned about losing sales to Harley. They make several models of the Electra Glide which are way simpler, and just as capable of 2 up cross country travel.
Very comfortable for the passenger too. But they still can't make them keep oil inside the engine where it'e needed most. Most of the ones I see parked have a few drips of oil under the engines.

GL1800 SatNav, red 2006
GL1500 Aspencade, blue 1999
GL1200 Aspencade, blue 1986
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 06:56 PM
Vintage Rider

Post imported post

I have since sold the Rebel. I realize what I really want is a brand new 1980 GL 1100 Interstate, with no options. Harley offers a basic no frills version of the Electra Glide, called the Classic, which sells for under $20K. I would even accept a fuel injected 1100 Intestate, but please leave off the linked brakes and make ABS optional. Oh, and please put a 10 year warranty on all electronics, which shouldn't be a problem if they are that reliable. My new Trane A/C unit has a 10 year warranty on everything. But my experience is that they eat a PC board about once a year.

"Obsolete does not mean it is not any good, it just means it is not made anymore"
"The simpler the better"
PGR member since 2007
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 05:20 AM

Year: 2003
Model: GL1800
Send a message via Yahoo to wexy
Post imported post

Horses for courses , and that is what Honda Build , the wing is an out and out tourer with excellent handling and comfort(1800) the BMW is a sports tourer , a sports bike with boxes thrown on , ugly as hell IMHO and having quiet a few problems , the new honda cross tourer fills the need for speed with boxes thrown on , Honda don't try and compete with BMW or Harley, Honda set the standard and others follow ,

CIARAN (pronounced Keeron)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
yes it is Gaelic

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 11:09 AM
Vintage Rider

Post imported post

Honda definitely does not need to compete directly with BMW or Harley. The BMW is a SPORT touring bike. I cannot ride a sport touring bike. I need to sit upright, on a comfortable seat. Harley is not quite what I want either, but comes closer than the BMW. The main problem I have with the Goldwing (the current Goldwing) is it's overall size, and it's complications. Oh, and it's price. The original 4 cylinder Goldwings fit my needs perfectly, and I have one. But it won't last forever. I would like to buy a new one something like it, but Honda has gone way too far for me.

I keep looking at that $19K Harley Electra Glide Classic, with no gadgets (well, it does have a CD player and 2 speakers) no ABS, a simple TBI injection system that can be remapped to make it richer so it will run right, and pretty much nothing else but a motorcycle. Replace that air cooled v-twin with the original Goldwing flat four, and you'd be almost there. But of course Honda WAS there, way back in 1980. Harley now has an oem trike. I expect Honda to follow suit.

Honda has done the same thing with cars. I remember the first Civic. Neat little car, and very simple. Look at the Civic now. But. Honda now has the Fit, to replace the Civic as th low end model in their lineup. They need to introduce a lower level Goldwing, for those who want a smaller, simpler, and less expensive touring bike.

As far as the standard, Honda, BMW, and Harley all set their own standards, based on their own criteria, and no one follows. Having those 3 models available provides a touring bike to fit most peoples needs.

"The simpler the better"
PGR member since 2007
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 09:51 AM
FM

Model: 91-I
Garage
Post imported post

Mo-Power?

Since hardley now has the "147", called "The 1500 Killer", obviously Honda will counter.

Hummm, let's see....

2 Liter with mild cams, possibly change on the fly cams.
Fitted with a hidden 6-to-1 exhaust.
(It'll look like 6 to 2)
A powered "Ram Air" scoop. (I made one on my mini pick-up, wooo, worked so nice)
It'll have a 6 speed trans married to a two speed rear axle.
___ #1 for normal riding and #2 for off the line, aka: 147 Killer.
No doubt there will be a wider rear tire option. YAH!!!

Ohhhh I can hear "Tim Taylor the Tool Man" grunting now.

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page